GM - Where are the ladies

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There would be no need for extra pages or print costs just drop some of the instructions and club reviews that bored so many from re subscribing.

I am sure we all know whether a mag says it is independent or not, there is a certain degree to tie in with the major brands and so when they release new gear they will expect, perhaps even demand the magazine gives it decent coverage. Also, I think instruction, and yes I agree it gets recycled in a slightly different way year on year, but especially over the winter when there is less golf being played etc, magazines need stock articles and these are an easy fill.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am sure we all know whether a mag says it is independent or not, there is a certain degree to tie in with the major brands and so when they release new gear they will expect, perhaps even demand the magazine gives it decent coverage. Also, I think instruction, and yes I agree it gets recycled in a slightly different way year on year, but especially over the winter when there is less golf being played etc, magazines need stock articles and these are an easy fill.

It is debatable if any magazine can be truly impartial when reviewing new clubs when they rely so much on advertising, I always thought there was to much emphasis on instruction in the magazine, think the last straw for me was when it was recommended to have a beach ball between you knees at the range? who would really do that.

You only need to look at the other thread to see gm lost a lot of subscribers because of somewhat boring repetitive articles.

Stock articles are not the answer imo, with so much out there on the internet a golf magazine would need to work harder to cater most of their content on the average golfer. Including more content for ladies and juniors.

Something like a article from a club that someone on the forum plays at where the pro takes out a high, medium , and low h/c for 9 holes and does a review of that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is debatable if any magazine can be truly impartial when reviewing new clubs when they rely so much on advertising, I always thought there was to much emphasis on instruction in the magazine, think the last straw for me was when it was recommended to have a beach ball between you knees at the range? who would really do that.

You only need to look at the other thread to see gm lost a lot of subscribers because of somewhat boring repetitive articles.

Stock articles are not the answer imo, with so much out there on the internet a golf magazine would need to work harder to cater most of their content on the average golfer. Including more content for ladies and juniors.

Something like a article from a club that someone on the forum plays at where the pro takes out a high, medium , and low h/c for 9 holes and does a review of that.

I'm not arguing per se that magazines need to move forward and totally agree there is so much out there the internet or at club/grass roots level that magazines could be getting involved with and writing about. That said, there has to be a stock fill of pages which is why you'll get the regular contributors pages, instruction and reviews. It is what is left that really needs to be fresh and cutting edge. From that perspective I think GM is as guilty as any golf magazine (in fact there are other genre magazines you could levy this against) that it has a trusted formula and doesn't deviate

Way back in the day, there was a two page spread specifically on forum activities (edited by my good self originally and then taken forward and significantly improved by others) which at least would have appealed to other club golfers. I'm not saying go back to those days (although they were the first pages a lot of us went to!!!!!) but I think you have a good point that it needs the occasional different angle

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dear Editor,

Sir,

I don't know what the "forum page" was, but if it was a reproduction in the actual mag of what appears on the forum, not surprised it was binned...

Why would any mag reader be remotely interested in reading a load of comments from people with weird names? If someone wants that they log in to the forum.

I'm guessing it was only interesting to forum members who had their comments published.

Yours,
"T. Raminator"

I humbly suggest you ask MikeH for a back copy of the magazine. It was a reflection on what was going on here, plus a lot of reviews of the large (and not so large GM meets) and a lot more. Was a popular page and did bring more members here

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
"Was a popular page"

You mean a few forum posters liked seeing their names in print.

Deluded.

Actually the feedback I had from non-forum members at my club, golfers at work and others was positive. Of course it was popular on here but as I said, was very much about the meets, equipment tests than name checking members. Easy to mock when you haven't even read it. Perhaps you should before passing a sweeping judgement

D

Deleted member 18588

Actually the feedback I had from non-forum members at my club, golfers at work and others was positive. Of course it was popular on here but as I said, was very much about the meets, equipment tests than name checking members. Easy to mock when you haven't even read it. Perhaps you should before passing a sweeping judgement

Sorry to say that when I was a GM subscriber the forum page(s) was something I did not bother with and I couldn't believe that any reader who was not a member of the forum would be even remotely interested.

Just an excuse for some on here to see their names in print.

After all forum members would have already seen anything interesting that may have been on the forum.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry to say that when I was a GM subscriber the forum page(s) was something I did not bother with and I couldn't believe that any reader who was not a member of the forum would be even remotely interested.

Just an excuse for some on here to see their names in print.

After all forum members would have already seen anything interesting that may have been on the forum.

It's a point of view. I disagree, especially about it about just name checking members in print, but you'll entitled to you feelings about it. Think I've argued the toss about it long enough and strongly enough. Something I was hugely proud to be associated with (and will always be indebted to MikeH and the GM team and it helped give me some other opportunities) and I thought it was a positive piece for the magazine. If others feel differently then so be it

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Which ones?

Funnily enough, earlier today I was watching a YouTube video about "golf with Peter Alliss" , or similar - during which Peter Alliss advocates that men amateurs can learn more how swing etc from watching lady pros than male pros.
I believe it's to do with the swing speed of women, sequencing can be more easily seen?

D

Deleted member 1147

Funnily enough, earlier today I was watching a YouTube video about "golf with Peter Alliss" , or similar - during which Peter Alliss advocates that men amateurs can learn more how swing etc from watching lady pros than male pros.
I believe it's to do with the swing speed of women, sequencing can be more easily seen?
I’ll stick with Ernie Els and Adam Scott. Great sequencing and rhythm.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

It is quite a common point of view and I think Alliss and others have a valid point. Having seen some of the lady professionals play, they get comparable distances to some of the lower handicap men I know and get their distance without being bulked a la BDC or swinging hard. It is distance gained by syncing and getting everything working together and smoothly

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The idea that a golf mag should be as male centered is way of the mark in my opinion.... the printed media is in a difficult position because YouTube can generally provide all the filler content; swing tips (go buy a monthly mag or look up the 1000s of videos freely accessible), equipment reviews (read a review or watch an in person video?), etc. I think, sometimes, instead of thinking 'who is my audience and what content do I need to keep them happy' that maybe it should be 'my audience has evolved, so what can I do to keep those that are with me happy but also attract a new demograph?'. If I picked up a mag and it was 50% LPGA & LET, and 50% PGA & ET would it make a difference to me? No, I'll look at the content that interests me and pass on the rest. I think however that lady golfers would be more inclined to be added to the readership.

In any event, I watch Golf vlogs and guess what - they have women golfers on as guests! In some instances the hits appear to be more for videos with female guests but in any event the content is not diminished due to the presence of ladies.

I'm sure it's not an editorial decision to avoid diversity, most things just fall into a rhythm and don't change - the thing they change when change is required is the branding and the attention grabbing headlines (MORE YARDS NOW!) but broadly the content stays the same.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Let’s be honest fellas...

Is there anything worse or more cringeworthy for women’s golf than a bunch of blokes discussing whether there’s sufficient exposure of women’s golf and what to do about it... and the most vaunted comment that's come up so far is that men can learn a lot from watching women Pro's :ROFLMAO:

We need to leave this topic alone now

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Male golf generates a lot more money and interest than woman's golf. It makes sense that the golf monthly magazine would be aimed towards their target audience. To me its just like football, you wouldn't water down match of the day by adding women's football into it.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is quite a common point of view and I think Alliss and others have a valid point. Having seen some of the lady professionals play, they get comparable distances to some of the lower handicap men I know and get their distance without being bulked a la BDC or swinging hard. It is distance gained by syncing and getting everything working together and smoothly

I think most male amateurs could learn how to get round a course by watching the womens game, I don't think they can learn much from the swings of either male or female top pros. Whilst the pro women often have swing speeds similar to male amateurs, they generate it in different ways. As a rough generalisation (there will be some exceptions) on a relative scale male pros are the strongest, and have good mobility, fmeale pros have good strength and the best mobility, male amateurs have good to top level strength, and usually average to poor mobility, meaning the optimal swing for them is not the same as either the male or female elite players.