GM - Future articles

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Following on from the lack of ladies articles in GM thread, what other things do people think should be in the magazine? I’m sure that if any articles are taken up, Mike H will reward the person who made the suggestion with a suitable gift ???
Personally, I would like an article (series) on the life of a caddy. What do they do in prep for a competition, what do they cram into the bag, post round duties, etc. How they work with the golfer after a particularly bad round would also be interesting.
Any other ideas?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would personally like to see some research or an old account of how golf courses were built 100 years ago.

We've heard that plenty of old architects just used the ground that was there, but there must have still been a fair bit of flattening out tees and greens, as well as digging bunkers.
Surely in an open field or moorland there must have still been a requirement for earth moving for land to become playable.
You only have to look at neighbouring land or fields at some courses to imagine the vastness in front of a designer or keen golfers who were trying to buy a plot.

How many workers were involved in some of the Braid, Colt, MacKenzie courses from the early 1900s in the UK?

And what was the process for designing? I've heard the architect would go out with a couple of helpers with flags and would place them at a 'teeing' area, then wave at the other person who would place their flag as the green? Was this just a few hours work... did much else go into the early architecture of these courses a lot of us still play a century later? Did they do a drawing or plan before deciding on the layout?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go behind the scenes at a tournament. Follow a different person, who has a different role, each month. See what they do, their experience. It could be a greenkeeper, rules official, score marker, Marshall etc. What makes a tournament tick.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just step away from the big names a bit. Look at smaller courses, lesser known golf brands, perhaps look at how some every day clubs are coping during and after covid or grass roots initiatives to grow the game or change its imsge. Look at things from other angles, greenkeepers or other staff at major tournaments, the lesser known tour pro, anything to give an alternative to what we read so much about.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would like to see a series of articles about the courses that people from the forum play,

Maybe one per county and introduce the pro from the course and get him to play 9 holes with 3 different members and they could give us some insight to their course and club.

Maybe I would even re subscribe if the mag was re vamped a bit.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just step away from the big names a bit. Look at smaller courses, lesser known golf brands, perhaps look at how some every day clubs are coping during and after covid or grass roots initiatives to grow the game or change its imsge. Look at things from other angles, greenkeepers or other staff at major tournaments, the lesser known tour pro, anything to give an alternative to what we read so much about.

I like that ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd like to follow the life of a new pro onto the 2021 tour either via Q school or Challenge Tour. What does the management do, how do they pick a schedule based on playing rights, How do the swing/mind coach fit in. How does the relationship with the caddy work - what's their story (new to the tour or an old campaigner with a new protege). How does if affect home life etc

I think we all think it's a great job, playing all over Europe, doing something you love but how hard is it financially physically and mentally for a new player to the tour

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How about an article on the real benefits of the modern iron over those from 10, 20 and 30 yrs and the real difference they can make or not as the case may be.