GM staff v GM forum - The Result

B

birdieman

, if there's a rematch I'd like to throw my hat in the ring although I shouldn't think the forum guys who played will be willing to give up their positions.

More importantly perhaps... I want to hear how the forum lot rated their opponents. Are they fit to hold such positions within the golf industry?

Not at all Chipin, I cant speak for GM but I think they wouldn't mind repeat matches in different parts of the country, different forumers and some different GM staff too so hit them up!! Re your second point they are all mad keen on golf, know their stuff, are all gentlemen and excellent company on and off the course.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's all my fault!

I'm afraid I had a howler, guys. I'm surprised Birdieman has the energy to type after carrying me for 18 holes! Sorry, partner.

From the card I see that we actually "ham and egged" it quite well on the way out (gross 1 under). But I didn't hit a fairway with my driver until the 12th at which point I did a little jig for joy.

Perhaps I was in awe of Jezz Ellwood's spectacular display of driving. 14 perfectly struck drives straight down the middle every time and the cheek to hit most of the par 3's, too. And Fergus Bissett was matching him shot for shot.

And it was me who 3 putted the par 3 17th to lose the hole to par which prevented us going dormie for a rather undeserved half point! At the end of the day those last four holes killed us. The GM boys were 1 under. We didn't make a par between us. DOH!

Just a quick post this time but more to follow when I review the video.

I am off to bury my head in a bottle.

Great day. Fantastic company. Great course. Great golfers. Thanks for now GM.

J_F the bottler

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good evening folks,

What a day !!!

The start of the day was rather surreal because when I got to the practice range I noticed John and the fellow in the bay next to him looked familiar .... it was the birdieman and John didn't even recognise him. So we bopped out a few balls and headed to the clubhouse to meet the competition and our fourth musketeer Alan. It was all a bit weird seeing the guys 'in real life'.

After a cuppa and the obligatory bacon roll it was onto the battlefield.

Our match was nip and tuck for a few holes and then I hit a wee purple patch and had my birdie frenzy. To be honest I had a 15 footer, then a 25 footer which were that straight it was embarrassing. The 7th was a tugged drive with a blind wedge at 125yds and I hit it to 4 feet. The 8th ... well I was wetting myself when the shot came off. The GM guys came back at us but we were lucky enough to get up and down when they were on the green. Paul and Mike were playing well but we managed to score with them thus keeping our narrow lead. And Alan managed to win it for us with another steadfast par. Handshakes all round and Paul was away on cloud crinkle cut.

At this point I want to mention Alan (Atticus). That boy REALLY doesn't like golf balls. He was battering the hell out of them. And he loves his CUSTOM FITTED G10 .
His golfing willie is defintely bigger than mine.

I would like to thank the lads from GM for giving us this opportunity. It was a fantastic day from start to finish but I am dreading the pictures coming out cos I am sure David caught me chopping in some bundai.

P.S. I was going to add a picture of birdieman but I guess you will just have to buy the magazine to unmask .......

THE GM STIG !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCB

Visit site
Well done guys, a draw makes it more tempting for another match elsewhere in the country. You can't leave it all square like that can you.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a straight par 3 and 193 yards into the wind. I said I was going to hood a 4 iron and knock it out right and draw it back into the green as the pin was tucked behind the left hand bunker. I put the ball back in my stance and hit it and it ended up 10 feet from the pin.

It worked a treat but to ne honest I am gutted I never bagged the putt.

The forum lads had a day to remember and the GM guys were terrific. I am sure John and Stuart are going iver the last four holes but I think a draw was the fairest result.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Just walked in the door and despite being the tiredest man in Britain just wanted to say how brilliant it was to meet the forum boys today

a really great day - will post more cogent thoughts in the morning when I can see the keyboard and screen properly

MikeH

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wow...thanks for all the reports on what sounds like a couple of memorable matches. It looks like there was a lot of great golf played between the two games. Well done and thanks to the excellent GM for organising the whole thing - I look forward to the full blow by blow account in the next issue!

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
finally summoned up the energy to type - but have to head out on family duties shortly so this time will keep it to my top 12 (couldn't limit it to 10) things about the day...

1. finally getting to put names to faces and meeting all the forum boys at last

2. not topping my tee shot at the 1st - had a voice in my head saying you're going to top this as I stepped on to the tee!

3. atticus_finch's ludicrously long drives

4. madanra's birdie barrage (really needs to rename himself birdiemanMK2)

5. J_F and birdieman's ding dong battle with Fergus and Jezz

6. madandara calling shots and then hitting them (show off)

7. birdieman's fairway wood approach to about 3-foot to set up a birdie (well his is birdieman after all isn't he)

8. the weather being pretty kind to us

9, the foolhardy positions taken up by GM snapper David C in order to get some great action shots.

10. how great a condition the Jubilee course was and the fact we had it all to ourselves

11. the size of the battered haddock portions in the Links Clubhouse

12. the fact our plane didn't crash on the way home despite boarding it to the sound of what can only be described a tea spoon rattling around in the propellers

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
People getting together at a wonderful course, enjoying each others company and some friendly competition, then sharing the experience with like minded people; sounds to me exactly what golf is all about, well done to all and thanks for sharing!

On a personal note :- Atticus_Finch hitting the ball a mile; this is not good, not good at all!!
Did atticus put you guys up to this to put the wind up me for the coming season of death matches we will have on the course?!?! Madandra, Mike tell me it's so.....
If he can now outdrive me I demand his new custom fitted club be outlawed!!!

TommyMorris

Medal Winner
Visit site
Glad you all enjoyed the day at my course. Sounds like quite a few putts were made, and the weather was not too bad. Sorry about 21 of the bunkers being out of play, but judging by the standard of golf you would not have been in many, however I did see a wayward drive at the 6th.......... ;)

TM

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
interesting debate New vs Jubilee

think the New has many more subtle charms

the Jubilee is a more straightforward course, ie you can see nearly all of the trouble off the tee as so many of them have a degree of elevation but the penalties for missing the short stuff, be it fairway or green, are more severe

in fact IMHO it's the toughest of the three main links courses

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Jezz here, nearly recovered but in fact now ready for bed at 8.20pm on Sat night after yesterday's epic 19-hour day.

Despite the 4.20am start and some occasional wet stuff on the course it was a great day for many reasons:-

1) I finally got to meet some forumers and discover that while john_findlay's real name is in fact John Findlay, Birdieman's isn't Birdieman

2) I finally got to play the Jubilee course - 3 St Andrews courses down now, 3 to go (in fact 4 very soon when the Castle course opens).

3) Fergus and I were handed a stark lesson in true fourball golf for the first 14 holes at least. When JF was struggling, Birdieman was there to pick up the pieces, and when Birdieman was out of it, JF was there to take up the reins, nearly always using his shots to full effect.

4) It reminded me that you should never give up however bleak the outlook - i.e. Birdieman was standing over a 6-footer on 15 to take the match to dormie but finally let one slip past having not missed from short range all day. Fergus then holed our team's first putt longer than 10 feet with a ridiculous off-the-green effort on 16, JF finally missed a short one on 17 to let us draw level and Fergus and I just managed to edge it up the last with all four of us virtually equidistant off the tee but still some 180-190 yards from the green into the wind.

Great day, great conversation, and some good golf made a slightly jaded Saturday well worth enduring.

Well done everyone

Jezz

P.S. Pretty unlikely I will ever drive the ball that consistently again in my life, so am thinking about hanging up my clubs this year to retain my 100% driving accuracy record for the whole season...