• 4 to 5 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 years plus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
So stop whinging and bitching and either support it, or let it go.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I went this year and it was a good day out. Unfortunately, next year I will be going on the Castle Stuart meet, so won't have the funds available for Ascot as well.

Thanks, but no thanks Homer. Maybe another year.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not trying to steal Homer's thunder here but may I make a suggestion?
How about Tyrells Wood in Surrey?
Very (very) close to the M25 (literally 5 minutes from junction 10) and an absolutely superb golf course. Take it from me, I have played here 3 times recently (due to play there again tomorrow) and it is definitely in my top 10 golf courses ever played.
The society rates don't look too bad at all either!

http://www.tyrrellswoodgolfclub.com/showpage.asp?p=4723

Have got to know the pro there quite well and I'm sure they would cut a deal for us if enough people were interested. I'm quite happy to take on the organisation if Homer can't be arsed after all the flak he's taken lately, but it's his baby at the end of the day.
Rob

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having recovered from a long lay off after extensive Back Surgery and missing all the meets this year, I would definitely be interested.

Homer, from what I see it looks like last year was a great event and you won't please every one.

I'm in if its in May, as I don't have any holiday left up to the end of March. (unless I become "unwell" that is!!

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If there is no official handicap certificate required, and you guys aren't too bothered by a high handicapper attending (CC exempt from that statement, obviously!), then "I'm in"..... :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd be up for this, either date would suit me. I do like the look of Tyrrells Wood.

It is a lovely course, and as I say..I am playing there this afternoon with a few mates. I will pop into the pro shop and pick up a society information pack and will have a chat with Homer.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It would be nice to try a new course, and Tyrells Wood is probably as good (better?) than many.

I still need to get the shield engraved too.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It would be nice to try a new course, and Tyrells Wood is probably as good (better?) than many.

I still need to get the shield engraved too.

Shame you couldn't make it today Murph. We're one short!
Go and have a knock round there sometime. It's really nice. Not a "ball losing" course, but tight enough to make you think on your way around so I think it's ideally suited to a society day.

PS Could you save some time and get my name engraved on the 2010 section please????

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looks like an extra half hour to Tyrrells' wood or Leatherhead for us West Country folk.
Obviously you can't please all of the people all of the time ...

AliB

Billy

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the problem is in the name.
How can you have the GM Spring Meeting and hold it down south AGAIN.
Why not just call it the Surrey meeting?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't see what difference a name makes. It is held every Spring, is a GM meet albeit for Southern based members and so the name covers it pretty well. It was decided last year by consensus that it was the name mopst people would be happy to refer to it as.

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't see what difference a name makes. It is held every Spring, is a GM meet albeit for Southern based members and so the name covers it pretty well. It was decided last year by consensus that it was the name mopst people would be happy to refer to it as.

The name is irrelevant, surely!

As has been said many times, there will never be a single venue that will cater for everyone. I don't see too many of our friends from north of Watford complaining too much about the GM Castle Stuart event, in the same way that this potential event isn't getting too many complaints from the southern contingent. The "issue" with this event was initially the cost rather than venue, but again it seems to have turned into a "why can't it be closer to me / him / them / you / us" type of argument!

Homer / HTL and Smiffy have all volunteered to take on the burdon of organising a GM Spring Southern-possibly-in-Surrey-but-maybe-in-Berkshire-but-maybe-then-again-somewhere-else Meet. If you believe it's too far, then there is always the option of organinsing a more local event as has been done on many occasions.

Anyway, that's only my opinion, but then again, I do live in Ascot :D
:p :p

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really had a good time last year although my golf was not great.

Put me and Harry Senior down for next year early March is better, it will be good to catch up with a few other members again.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Waiting to hear back from Tyrells Wood regarding availability and prices. I have asked for a Friday as this seems to be most peoples preference, and once I get an indication of prices I will post to let you know.
Chances are it will be held in either April or May to avoid hollow tined greens and give us a bit more light and hopefully a better chance of decent weather.
Rob