GM - Future articles

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bring the forum 2 pages back, will be different opinions, meets, news etc. every month.

Golf course design 2-4 pages on a course, or even a few holes featured and the architect (or an expert) advising what his thought processes were, idea on risk/reward, hazard placement, and even ideas that they considered and threw out.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Would love to read a series of articles spread over a year about green keeping and what work takes place each quarter and why.
Dan Hendrickson did a video with a green keeper recently. And the gardening channel ‘premier lawns’ did some too.

I would like something about winter golf. Not about scoring, but playing in comfort and looking after your gear, like keeping it waterproof, ...

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
How about more articles regarding equipment for higher handicappers? Perhaps tested by the actual golfers they are aimed at, rather than low handicappers / pros? Or tactics for the same group?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How about more articles regarding equipment for higher handicappers? Perhaps tested by the actual golfers they are aimed at, rather than low handicappers / pros? Or tactics for the same group?

I would like to see a panel of handicap golfers across the board so say 0-5, 6-12, 13-20, 20+ to try gear on release and then perhaps use the gear and report back every few months

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I would like to see a panel of handicap golfers across the board so say 0-5, 6-12, 13-20, 20+ to try gear on release and then perhaps use the gear and report back every few months
A good idea. It’s a bugbear of mine that’ll the equipment is tested by a pro, so his results bear little resemblance to what I’ll see with the same gear. Perhaps a spread of subscribers or forumers across the country, so they get different course types (links, parkland, etc) as well as different abilities

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Full Reverse – take an item of golf clothing, shoes, club or other gear etc and trace its journey from club golfer all the way back to the person who makes it

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A good idea. It’s a bugbear of mine that’ll the equipment is tested by a pro, so his results bear little resemblance to what I’ll see with the same gear. Perhaps a spread of subscribers or forumers across the country, so they get different course types (links, parkland, etc) as well as different abilities
I’m more than happy to join the testing panel???

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
A series of articles charting the experience of a young club pro starting out, the PGA exams, working in the shop, giving lessons, (dealing with awkward members ;))

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A series of articles charting the experience of a young club pro starting out, the PGA exams, working in the shop, giving lessons, (dealing with awkward members;))

A series about those awkward members (you know the ones that give staff a hard time, shout at visitors/juniors for minor or perceived transgressions etc)

GM staffer follows them home and then spends a few minutes shouting at his wife & kids about random things that are wrong with them or their house (y)

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
hi all
thanks for sharing your thoughts. Great to get the insight and suggestions. Plenty of things to discuss at the next editorial ideas meeting

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Full Reverse – take an item of golf clothing, shoes, club or other gear etc and trace its journey from club golfer all the way back to the person who makes it
You are sadly going to see the inside of an awful lot of Chinese factories with this article. I really like the idea but perhaps it would have been more interesting 10-15 years ago.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s so hard for a magazine to compete against the digital era we are now faced with. Every day we have access to social media with hundreds of individual people and organisations putting content out there. I will pick up a magazine every other month or so but my son simply isn’t interested. For these perhaps obvious reasons I would suggest looking at some articles that may get the older generation interested, these are the people who will sit down of an evening with a cup of tea and a sweet treat and have a read - maybe a bottle of Scotch if it’s been a rough day :D
With this in mind how about looking into the history of some of the more famous golf courses, perhaps ones that golfers are familiar with. Something I found fascinating when I joined Hindhead was the original layout back in the early 1900’s. The current 12th green at the top of the valley used to be played from the back of the 5th green in the valley, anyone who knows the course will think about it and have a brain fart, it must have been quite a rollercoaster. The 14th used to be played from in front of the 12th green, over the valley to what is now the bottom of the driving range. Mind blowing! I’m sure some other clubs will have some interesting history too.
Another thought is cross-country golf. Every couple of years Hindhead will play into greens from different tees. Again, a certain amount of local knowledge is needed to put it into perspective but photos and maybe some google earth type of imagery will help.
I’ve rambled enough, hopefully some food for thought.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go behind the scenes at a tournament. Follow a different person, who has a different role, each month. See what they do, their experience. It could be a greenkeeper, rules official, score marker, Marshall etc. What makes a tournament tick.
This is cracking idea , i know it wouldv be alot at one time but id like to see , say 3/4 diff people at the same tournament . See same toutnament thru the eyes of a player , his/her caddy a scorer with their group , different views of same round .. not realy realistic my way but i like the idea ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would be quite interested to see how a tournament is covered from ET productions getting onto the course to site the camera, the feeds from the course and how it is produced in the truck (usually in the car park somewhere) through to the commentary booth and our screens

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In current times, an interview with someone senior at the Health and Safety Executive about what powers they have to ensure compliance at golf clubs, how their investigations have panned out so far as compliance is concerned and general advice from the agency enforcing the rules as to best practice for clubs and individuals.