GM Forum Day - Gillingham Golf Club

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Today, myself and 3 forum members, Andy (bunkermentality123), Richard (Smudge) & Neil (Plantie) Ventured out onto the hallowed turf of my beloved club for a game.

A great time was had and the company was fantastic from my point of view.

Each of us produced some moments of sheer brilliance during our round and there were some shots that I am sure will be bragged about for ages.

In the end, the individual comp was won by Neil, it was a tight game with him winning it on the 18th hole. Congratulations Neil.

The team comp was won by Myself and Neil with a 3&2 win.

We were incredibly fortunate with the weather today, not one drop of rain fell today, the wind did make shots difficult at times but it was lovely and warm with yours truly collecting a slightly sun-burnt spam.

The boys also concluded that as I suspected myself, my handicap is not true to how I generally play.

Thanks for a great day fellas and looking forward to the next one already.

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well first and foremost thank you to Jon for his hospitality today at Gillingham...

I got in the car at 8:30 am and by 10:10 I had arrived at Gillingham only to be met by Jon with a Bacon butty and cuppa tea from Maccy D's!! TOP MAN and what a way to start the day.

Dressed in Waterproof's I was ready for the forecasted showers, but lucky they were a thing of only a forecasters mind as we had a glorious day of sunshine and breeze!!

Stepping on to the first was an experience, 3 guys I had never met and an opening whole with a bunker in the fairway that seemed as wide as the English channel!! 4 iron lay up worked well in the middle of the fairway but what was to follow gave me an idea of what was to come!!! Jon pulls out his 3 wood and BANG, next to the green after a humongous hit! A 3 wood that he happened to hit over 300 yards later in the day...!

Boy was I glad I managed to rally Andy and Richard up to help me in prompting Jon to cut his 28 handicap to 24 prior to tee off!!!!

As the day continued there was flashes of brilliance from all! be it the two superb birdies from Jon, to my chip in and also a 9 iron hitting the pin. With Andy playing relentless consistent golf and Richard hitting a few almighty drives with his Ping shotgun!!!

The match was tight and went down to the very last where I was able to secure a par that was enough to bring victory following Jon's wayward tee shot that luckily for me found out of bounds...

I left the course feeling good that I was victorious but with a greater sense of pleasure following a thoroughly enjoyable round of golf with 3 strangers that I met through the forum!

Jon, Andy and Richard thank you for today and I look forward to next months challenge! :D

Top day, top company, top course and top host!

P.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Glad you enjoyed the day Neil.

I cant se my handicap staying at 28 for long as like was said yesterday, to score 34 points with 6 blobs isnt the mark of a 28 handicapper.

I cant wait to get out hitting the ball again, it is tuesday next with the boys you met plus a few more.

As for our next game, I am looking forward to it already, still haven't stopped talking about yesterday and people are getting sick of me mentioning the 13th all the time, reliving that 300yd 3 wood and the 7I to within a foot. That putt was the hardest ever, nervous, absolutely but when it went in..... yeeeesss! Fist pumping aplenty for the finest birdie of my short golfing life.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done guys, we have had a load of successful forum meets recently.

Good shooting Medwayjon, 300 yards with a 3 wood is a silly distance.

We really should pull our fingers out and arrange a bigger one, perhaps a London meet???

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Jon,

Played yesterday and shot 84 at Blue Mountain (Par 70)

had a couple of doubles two so very happy... Progress :)

oh and thanks re the short game compliment!

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely fantastic day.

Started out from home with some trepidation as to how the weather would hold, and stuffed my bag full of waterproofs, towels, umbrella etc. Luckily the weather held apart from a strong breeze which made driving the ball quite interesting at times.

Was greeted in the car park by Jon and Plantie, (who had travelled up from Reading) with bacon sarnies and a nice cuppa (legend).

After a quick practice on the putting green, we took to the first tee and and battle commenced.

The golf was really good, and I managed to shoot a respectable 34 points (managing to score on every hole, albeit a couple of doubles), if I had been able to chip a bit better the score would have been embarrassingly good.

All of us played some really good golf at times, Jon with his massive 3 wood (tried to get him back to his slightly more wayward driver, but he wasn't having any of it), Plantie was mustard round the greens, and Smudge hit some real boomers with the big stick.

My personal highlight was sinking a long putt on the par 5 which kept my score ticking along very nicely.

Plantie took the honours with 37 points, with Jon and myself tied on 34, so a good day was had in golfing terms.

Jon sort that handicap out (34 points with 6 blobs), what can I say.

All in all a great day, with 3 guys I'd never met before. Great company, good golf on a very nice track, and a couple of crafty beers afterwards.

I returned home a very happy camper, and will be out practicing those little chip shots with view to improving that score next time we meet.

Roll on the next one!

Smudge

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i concur it was a fantastic day, good weather, good company, good course and some fantastic golf played by the other boys!!! Roll on the next one guys!! Ill be out practising this time!! And also have these handicaps looked into!!!