GM Dream 18

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Nice to see the 13th at Liphook in there. Cracking par five.:thup:

Shame they can not do a list with the holes in correct order. Best first hole, second hole etc. More work but could be interesting.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never played Hankley but that par 3 7th on the list didn't impress me , maybe the photo doesn't do it justice but I can think of better par 3s, some cracking holes on there though.

D

Deleted member 1147

Never played Hankley but that par 3 7th on the list didn't impress me , maybe the photo doesn't do it justice but I can think of better par 3s, some cracking holes on there though.

It’s not a good photo.
The hole is pretty long over a valley of heather and played into the prevailing wind iirc.

Also not the best photo of the 6th at Sunningdale.

Last edited by a moderator:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to be controversial here and having never played it probably not allowed an opinion, but the 18th a Carnoustie really doesn't look that amazing. Take out the burn and its just another par 4.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Amazed that the par 3 at Hoylake (albeit it very good) has been picked over any at Royal Birkdale.

Suppose that's the beauty of opinion

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Photo doesn't do it justice. Great hole, tough shot into the wind, very happy nailing the centre of the green to beat the pro at a charity event there last year.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nice to see the 13th at Liphook in there. Cracking par five.:thup:

Shame they can not do a list with the holes in correct order. Best first hole, second hole etc. More work but could be interesting.

Yeah strikes me as kinda cheating if you just through any 18 in, surely it has to be best 1st, 2nd 3rd etc ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Going to be controversial here and having never played it probably not allowed an opinion, but the 18th a Carnoustie really doesn't look that amazing. Take out the burn and its just another par 4.

but that true of most of these, take out the hotel at the 17th on TOC and its the same. Take a major factor away from any hole is going to detract from it

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
These kind of lists are always going to be contentious, but interesting that all of the Par 3's are 180+ and not a single par 4 under 400. Unimaginative...........

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One of the very best par 3s in the country - many other contenders but worthy of inclusion

D

Deleted member 21258

What does is it say when there are no Parkland holes in it ? Is that right?

Never really get the love for Links courses that there is in the top 200 courses or in a list like this, especially in the look of them on my eye. Some links courses have lovely scenery or more dramatic contours, find some of them bland on my eye(TOC is true of that, when we walk around it, it was bland to look at or Princes for example).

Love the wind and dryness of them in winter months, but would pick heathland or parkland over links generally.

Not played a lot of those holes on the list, but some are certainly not impressive to look at for those pictures. :confused:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Never really get the love for Links courses that there is in the top 200 courses or in a list like this, especially in the look of them on my eye. Some links courses have lovely scenery or more dramatic contours, find some of them bland on my eye(TOC is true of that, when we walk around it, it was bland to look at or Princes for example).

Love the wind and dryness of them in winter months, but would pick heathland or parkland over links generally.

Not played a lot of those holes on the list, but some are certainly not impressive to look at for those pictures. :confused:

a few of these holes are not links though some are Heathland

D

Deleted Member 1156

I thought we did one pretty recently or did I just imagine it? :mmm:

D

Deleted member 15344

I was the same until I played some links courses and now I get the love for them - I wouldn’t want to play one every day because the weather could beat you up regularly but I would happily drive a couple hours for a round on a links course.

Heathland are my favs - just stunning courses that i could play every day

Parklands at times just don’t seem to feel very natural and whilst all courses are man made - Parklands have that feel all the time and whilst there are exceptions they don’t seem to have the same special feel about them - there always seems to be something missing and a lot of times they are the most “snooty” courses as well

Links courses get rated so highly because they all appear to have that wonderful natural feel about them and it’s the courses where it all started - the big dunes , the rolling fairways etc

But what’s great about the UK is we can play all three of these too are hearts content. And it will always be about people’s own taste

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of the very best par 3s in the country - many other contenders but worthy of inclusion

Had a look on Hankleys website, and the hole certainly gets some good reviews,also saw some more photos.

As I say I've never played Hankley so you will have a much better idea of the hole than me ,if you say it's one of the best that's good enough for me:thup:

But the view from the tee doesn't look that inspiring to me , and I've seen much better imo ,that opinion might change if I played the course .