GM at The Masters

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
Evening all,

You'll be pleased to hear that after some digging we found out what Zach Johnson lined up for the Champions Dinner. It was a surf and turf affair of corn-fed beef (whatever that is) and shrimp. So there you go!

Please keep your questions coming. Despite the fact that it's my birthday and there's some tallk of heading out to Hooters tonight (when in Rome), Luke and I will be back in the media centre bright and early tomorrow to give you the latest behind the scenes access to day one of the Masters.

Neil

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Evening all,

You'll be pleased to hear that after some digging we found out what Zach Johnson lined up for the Champions Dinner. It was a surf and turf affair of corn-fed beef (whatever that is) and shrimp. So there you go!

Please keep your questions coming. Despite the fact that it's my birthday and there's some tallk of heading out to Hooters tonight (when in Rome), Luke and I will be back in the media centre bright and early tomorrow to give you the latest behind the scenes access to day one of the Masters.

Neil

Happy birthday Neil- Hooters and beer followed by the first day of Augusta tommorrow- does it get any better?

Did you get a look at the par 3 today?

bill

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
I have to agree with you billyg - this is probably the best working week of the year.

Ok HomerJ, this is what we're going to do. At some stage Luke and I will take the plunge and head into the merchandising. We'll bring back a selection of bits (nothing major just small souvenirs like tees etc) to send to members of our forum. We'll hand out the prizes to the forum members who have made the best contributions to the Masters-related posts... We can't say fairer than that.

As for injuries, I've asked the journalists that are sitting near us if they have any insider knowledge and I'm afraid the answer is no. The consensus is that none of the favourites are carrying any injuries. I'm afraid that's as much info as I can offer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Neil

Top man. Great idea. Come on guys lets get posting. I have a couple of quickies. How do the prices for food and drink outside (when you go out for your evening meal etc) compare. Are they reasonable or do they do the same as over here (Wimbledon Village for the tennis, Ascot High Street for the Royal meet etc) and put a huge mark up on the prices to make hay for the week.

On a golf related thread, what are the greens running at on the old stimpmeter today. Have you seen anyone trying to play those only at Augusta putts from 90 degrees (and did anyone make them). How do they think the greens wil play. You mentioned them being softer with the rain, but what is the forecast for the weekend. Will they firm up by the last day

Oh and by the way enjoy Hooters tonight. You lucky lucky man!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have always found the Nottingham Hooters a bit disappointing, how does the Augusta Hooters compare to those in the UK (and was John Daly in there).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Happy birthday Neil - keep a fresh head for tomorrow (as if....)

A couple of questions. Other than Tiger, who are the locals rooting for (that's rooting rather than betting)

Are the organiser doing anything particular to try to keep the pace of play up. Any particular threats of clocks etc?

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think Augusta national is the most beautiful golf course in the world Now that your there and can see it in the Flesh?? Because in my eyes from watching it on TV theres no place id rather be other than there it looks like Golfing Heaven!

ACP

Club Champion
Visit site
Neil,

I heard on the radio this morning that the Americans are taking the unprecedented move of banning "get in the hole!" shouters!? I would be interested to know if anyone ignores this and exactly how the Augusta Marshalls will deal with such incidents!? I have a mental picture forming of hoards of American spectators being marched from the course for flouting the new rule.

Let us know if they intend to firmly enforce this. It would be nice to think that this might soon apply to all other tournaments both in America and elsewhere.

ACP

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Neil,

Is it true Augusta is set in a real run down part of america? I've been told you'll never get a blimp shot of the course as its surroundings are a real eye-saw.

Is this true?

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Neil,

Is it true Augusta is set in a real run down part of america? I've been told you'll never get a blimp shot of the course as its surroundings are a real eye-saw.

Is this true?

Interesting question...

Just looked on google maps - doesn’t look great, but it's no shanty town either.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Neil,

Is this true?

Interesting question...

Just looked on google maps - doesn’t look great, but it's no shanty town either.

Got this from another forum from a guy who's played there:

wow is this town ****ty. The three blocks preceding the entrance are filled with taco bells, dollar stores, and pawn shops. I'm thinking I must be lost or something- you can't see the entrance until you get to it. Magnolia lane is about as cool as you could imagine- definitely got an adrenaline burst.

Vincent

Club Champion
Visit site
Do touts exist at Augusta? If I really wanted to get to see the Masters live (other than being a journalist, player, caddie etc)and money wasn't a barrier, could I buy a ticket outside the course?

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Morning gents
Are the heads clear or is it sunglasses and codex?
What are the prices for day and event tickets?
Is The accomidation fair or basic motel room?
How do you think the effect of cutting the fairways towards the players cuts down on the ammout of run on with drives and pitch shots?
all I can think on for now enjoy the moment of being at Agusta
chris

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Neil,

Is this true?

Interesting question...

Got this from another forum from a guy who's played there:

wow is this town ****ty. The three blocks preceding the entrance are filled with taco bells, dollar stores, and pawn shops. I'm thinking I must be lost or something- you can't see the entrance until you get to it. Magnolia lane is about as cool as you could imagine- definitely got an adrenaline burst.

It would appear my informant was spot on then. You wouldn't believe it from looking at the course would you? I imagined it to be in a real classy, sparsely populated area.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have a friend who was lucky enough to play there and said he could not believe the undulations.....did you guys find the same experience on your 1st times?
Are the fairways as wide as they look on screen?Watched the beebs preview last night and Tiger must have been hitting it sideways off the tee if they are cos he sure was in the trees alot!