GM at The Masters

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
glad your feeling better! I have an idea, Just drop 10p or a quarter, and as you pick it up, grab some grass! lol.

Just catchin up on the days play, whats the best thing you have witnessed thus far?

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why do caddies wear white mechanics overalls? Do they wear trainers (even on the greens).

I think my club would throw me out for allowing someone into club grounds with trainers never mention the overalls on the course.

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
Evening all,

Sorry to hear that the Beeb's coverage is a little disappointing. Hopefully Justin's round makes it all seem a little better.

Leftie, I can assure you that the bird noises are for real. It's one of the most striking things about this place - you step outside to a crescendo of birdy songs.

Tony, without wanting to seem too smug, I'd say the best thing I've seen today is Poulter's ace. I was standing just to the left of the green - awesome! That's the second hole-in-one I've seen this week (Azinger had one yesterday on the par-3), think I must be a lucky omen.

Ken, as for the boiler suits it's an old Masters tradition. The caddies that work here for the rest of the year (when the course is open) all wear them and that's something the committee always wanted to carry into the tournament. I saw Justin Rose's caddie, Mick, a bit earlier and I can tell you he was really sweating up in the paddock. It's getting very humid out there, I wander if there's a storm on the way. Will check it out and keep you posted.

Thanks for your questions everyone,

Neil

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was I imagining it or did I hear it described as the Master brought to you by AT&T. I thought all advertising etc was banned on the course and that pride was taken in the fact that the tournament had not taken the corporate dollar

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I've been watching the live coverage online and hazard a guess it's an all American broadcast.
All i saw was Justin's score at the top of the leaderboard during his round. Just saw him putt one. As he's not a Yank I suppose he's not worth featuring!

Stick it up 'em Justin, carry on with the good form!

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
I've just sat in on Justin's post round interview. He's one of the most lucid and articulate players, talking to the press. It turns out he came here two weeks ago with Immelman and Poulter to do a reccie. That's why he only practiced with his wedges on Tuesday.

I've only ever met Justin twice but whenever I see him chatting to the press, it's clear to see that he's a class act. He's also a very nice bloke.

Basher, you said it perfectly!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Neil,

Having seen Justin finish at the top of the board (for now at least, but hopefully much longer) Begs the question... How many times has the leader on day one gone on to win the tournament? Conversely, how many times has the day one leader then missed the cut?

LukeNor

Hacker
Visit site
Hello backwoodsman (nice name by the way but what does it mean?)

I can help out a little. Gentle Ben Crenshaw was the last man to lead the Masters and go on to win, in 1995. Here's hoping clearly that Justin follows him.

As for leading and then missing the cut, we are pretty sure that has never happened - although of course it did famously happen to Rod Pampling at the 1999 Open at Carnoustie.

Yours
Luke

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Neil, can you tell me what measures the PGA have taken to ensure that all drivers at the Masters are conforming. I am lead to believe that some drivers have been made so close to the line that some listed as conforming by name are not when tested due to a rogue batch being made.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who chooses the pin positions?

Are they decided in advance or modified due to ongoing playing/scoring conditions to help the scoring.

I have always assumed there would be 2 or 3 positions prearranged (by a committee), but finally decided on the day (by head greenkeeper), these are chosen according to weather etc to provide as much challenge as possible without making it too hard or easy.

A bit long winded but I guess you understand.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hello backwoodsman (nice name by the way but what does it mean?)

Luke, Ta for the answer.

As to the name, partly because I originally hail from the heart of Sherwood Forest, but mainly because the back woods are where I can be found searching for my ball...

'nother question. Who the heck gets to play Augusta when the Masters isn't there. Or put more properly, how many members are there and how on earth does anyone get to be one. Is it just having a shed-load of money, or is there more to it than that?