GM Article - Handicap System Ruining Comps for Low Handicaps

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to but not any more.
Social golf for me is high tariff hero shots, longest drive challenges on inappropriate holes and flop shot attempts when a sensible bump and run would be the right choice. We don't play for money. If I submitted those rounds my HI would rise by half a dozen shots.
On the rare occasions I enter solo comps I play boring attritional golf and score around my HI. I want to be competitive but not by having an inflated handicap.
This is what we do.

We have a lefty as well so our 16th short hole we play left handed and he plays right handed.
Golf is supossed to be a hobby and enjoyable.
Loser buys the tea.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You did say he “sneakily got another shot”😳😳

That’s the problem.
It’s his prerogative to put cards in when he chooses.
But can be seen as manipulation or not depending on your view of GP cards!
That's fair enough. Perhaps I needed to add a couple of winky smilies to communicate the semi light hearted nature of my "accusation".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is what we do.

We have a lefty as well so our 16th short hole we play left handed and he plays right handed.
Golf is supossed to be a hobby and enjoyable.
Loser buys the tea.
Would be instant defeat for me, I doubt I could advance the ball more than 10 yards left-handed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's fair enough. Perhaps I needed to add a couple of winky smilies to communicate the semi light hearted nature of my "accusation".
That's fine if you're not bothered. I didn't actually mean to criticise the player in my post - he's just playing the system as it stands. Not necessarily saying he played badly on purpose, but he's just got the 4 rounds in thinking it's unlikely he'll beat his best score that was dropping off. My criticism was only of the system that allows such loopholes. 👍🏻

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The evidence would suggest that handicap manipulation is in play. Maybe he’s just started playing more golf though and it going to start putting in regular scores.

If I was betting man though I’d bet on manipulation.
Having had a chat to the gent he acknowledged that he'd played a lot recently and was fortunate to get another shot as a result of a good score being lost off his record, but it wasn't a conscious act.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
That's fine if you're not bothered. I didn't actually mean to criticise the player in my post - he's just playing the system as it stands. Not necessarily saying he played badly on purpose, but he's just got the 4 rounds in thinking it's unlikely he'll beat his best score that was dropping off. My criticism was only of the system that allows such loopholes. 👍🏻
I get what you're saying but the old system did allow similar stuff to happen...it was not uncommon to hear players say..."I'm on x.2...just another three 0.1s back and I get another shot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get what you're saying but the old system did allow similar stuff to happen...it was not uncommon to hear players say..."I'm on x.2...just another three 0.1s back and I get another shot.
Yeah if you went from 9.4 to 9.5 or whatever. But the effect you were talking about here was greater, right? Like going from 9.0 to 10.0? Anyway, whatever. As I said, it's just playing the system, and this is the system we're stuck with so it is what it is.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only enter competitions if my warm up rounds are 4 or more better than HI .. otherwise it’s a waste of time and just a walk round with some bores giving my money to someone else..

Sorry thought I would take the mick completely…

Mandofred

Visit site
The club I was at last year....I played with just a few other guys most of the time and during the "good" months we turned cards almost every time. A couple other guys rarely put in cards. At my current club I don't hear much of anything about people turning in GP cards. I was going to start putting in a GP card during one of our rollups each week to go with a usual comp on Sat. From what the pro told me, I just have to sign in on the computer before starting. Easy enough to have someone verify my score from our group. Just seems like WHS is kind of just being ignored because most people just aren't going to put GP cards in.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah if you went from 9.4 to 9.5 or whatever. But the effect you were talking about here was greater, right? Like going from 9.0 to 10.0? Anyway, whatever. As I said, it's just playing the system, and this is the system we're stuck with so it is what it is.
Under the old system going from 9.4 to 9.5 exact handicap resulted in going from a playing handicap of 9 to 10.

Throwing in multiple bad scores under the WHS only has an effect if you have good scores waiting to fall off your record. Depending on the distribution of your good scores it is possible to put in several bad scores and it won't have any effect whatsoever.

Under the old UHS every bad score would see your exact handicap increase by 0.1.

Unfortunately there is opportunity to manipulate handicap via submitting bad scores in both systems.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmm, I seem to remember that a bad score wouldn't affect my handicap at all and I'd need to score 4 over to get a 0.1 increase. It always seem a bit harsh to me compared to he 0.4 reduction I'd get for shooting 1 under.
"bad scores" in the old days were relative depending on your handicap category....i wouldnt say that 2, 3 4 over your handicap was a bad score....pretty normal considering the scoring expectations of the time.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just seems like WHS is kind of just being ignored because most people just aren't going to put GP cards in.
It seems like some clubs have been proactive on the GP card front and the culture is to have them as standard. Other clubs, nothing has changed and people don't really bother.

I've been at 2 clubs under WHS and no one has ever said to me before a social round, 'I'm putting a card in' 🤷🏻‍♂️. It's a culture per club thing.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So your handicap isn’t reflective of your form … !?!

Well my last eight differentials have been....16.7, 9.4, 23.1, 13.0, 9.4, 10.3, 20.3, 10.3, 16.7, 17.6 (all in competitive play in the last couple of months) so Ill let you decide if my index of 9.6 is reflective of my recent form.

As it happens my opponent played exceptionally poorly and, after going 1 up on the third, he then proceeded to play like a man possessed....but not in the normal use of the phrase... and pretty much gifted me most of the remaining holes that we played....the only holes I had to hole out on, to confirm the win or secure a half, were 6,8,10 and 12.