GM Article - Handicap System Ruining Comps for Low Handicaps

D-S

Visit site
Well my last eight differentials have been....16.7, 9.4, 23.1, 13.0, 9.4, 10.3, 20.3, 10.3, 16.7, 17.6 (all in competitive play in the last couple of months) so Ill let you decide if my index of 9.6 is reflective of my recent form.

As it happens my opponent played exceptionally poorly and, after going 1 up on the third, he then proceeded to play like a man possessed....but not in the normal use of the phrase... and pretty much gifted me most of the remaining holes that we played....the only holes I had to hole out on, to confirm the win or secure a half, were 6,8,10 and 12.
I always think there are two ways of winning in match play - you can win it or they can lose it. More often than not someone loses it through poor play rather than inspired golf triumphing.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Well my last eight differentials have been....16.7, 9.4, 23.1, 13.0, 9.4, 10.3, 20.3, 10.3, 16.7, 17.6 (all in competitive play in the last couple of months) so Ill let you decide if my index of 9.6 is reflective of my recent form.

As it happens my opponent played exceptionally poorly and, after going 1 up on the third, he then proceeded to play like a man possessed....but not in the normal use of the phrase... and pretty much gifted me most of the remaining holes that we played....the only holes I had to hole out on, to confirm the win or secure a half, were 6,8,10 and 12.
The best 4 from your last 10 gives you 9.85.
I imagine that your best 4 from your previous 10 gives you something like 9.3.

My last 10 gives me 5.1 and previous 10 gives me 3.55.
Not much to do with current form and more to do with last 10 are autumn and spring and previous 10 were summer.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Perhaps your man’s cards were true to his current status

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Perhaps your man’s cards were true to his current status
Quite possibly.

For the 12 holes we played, and using a bit of "most likely score" for the holes not completed, I would say that he would probably have shot around 67 (par 46 for the 12 holes)...so around 101 if extrapolated for the full 18, which is a couple of shots worse than his recent scores submitted.

I personally suspect that fatigue may have had a lot to do with it, as during general conversation he revealed that he'd actually played 8 rounds in the last 12 days over a variety of formats across the two clubs that he is a member of.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The best 4 from your last 10 gives you 9.85.
I imagine that your best 4 from your previous 10 gives you something like 9.3.

My last 10 gives me 5.1 and previous 10 gives me 3.55.
Not much to do with current form and more to do with last 10 are autumn and spring and previous 10 were summer.
Yep...pretty much....I've got a 7.6, 8.4, 10.3 and 11.2 from last autumn to go with the 2 9.4's and 2 10.3's this year.

The 7.6 and 8.4 will both be gone from my last twenty after the next three comps....at worst they will be replaced with an 11.2 and a 13.0...but hopefully something much lower.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Results in for our monthly stableford showed out of 54 entries only 8 were division 1. Best score for that division was a 35. Then Division 2 had overall winner with 39 and top 4 places had 3 division 2. Division 3 best score was 38 and lowest was 22 points (60 hcp) .
I played with 2 division 3 players and to be honest I think they could play off lower if someone just gave them some guidance of what to do and when and possibly show them a get of the bunker shot.
If we had played medal though the guy who won would have dropped several places due to a large number that was a blob, as would second and 3rd place. My blob included would have still left me shooting a nett 67, and overall lead.
But my intention was to try not to raise my HI significantly as a good score came off and I think I managed that by only rising 0.1 as opposed to 0.4. My last 4 scores are part of my 8 best and they are when averaged close to my HI.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Said it in the random irritations .. but giving low hcp players a prize for a frankly mediocre round of 35 pts … is a disgrace. Then also giving a lowest gross prize for a round that never broke par , wasn’t competitive, and was poor for their HI … is rewarding poor golf!
Good golf is being under HI and par … mediocre golf is over par ..

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Said it in the random irritations .. but giving low hcp players a prize for a frankly mediocre round of 35 pts … is a disgrace. Then also giving a lowest gross prize for a round that never broke par , wasn’t competitive, and was poor for their HI … is rewarding poor golf!
Been several winners of the US Open finished over par.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That’s a bit of a closed shop and not worth mentioning given the statement of the scratcher about mediocre golf being rewarded
The point is that par is just a number and not necessarily reflective of how a course is playing . Conditions and set up may well make a higher score a very respectable result.

AussieKB

Visit site
No matter what the score, the person who shot the best gross score should be rewarded.......
so if the winner had 35-36 points then you don't give the prize ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No matter what the score, the person who shot the best gross score should be rewarded.......
so if the winner had 35-36 points then you don't give the prize ?
A mention maybe but prize, really depends because if they shoot 35pts they are 1 over their handicap and they have not met expectation so they have not turned in a performance, effectively they showed up ..
I don’t mind competitions being off scratch .. we all know where we stand and we choose to enter or not. But to give a bigger prize in std medal to a lowest gross that’s outside the overall top 5 or 10 is incorrect.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The point is that par is just a number and not necessarily reflective of how a course is playing . Conditions and set up may well make a higher score a very respectable result.
That will be reflected in the PCC adjustments.. and general averages of the golfers who played that day.

AussieKB

Visit site
A mention maybe but prize, really depends because if they shoot 35pts they are 1 over their handicap and they have not met expectation so they have not turned in a performance, effectively they showed up ..
I don’t mind competitions being off scratch .. we all know where we stand and we choose to enter or not. But to give a bigger prize in std medal to a lowest gross that’s outside the overall top 5 or 10 is incorrect.
I never said a bigger prize or even a big prize, just that you should always mention the best score of the day, a golf ball would do in a normal club event.

Springveldt

Visit site
I think you have to factor in that your handicap is an average of your best 8 from 20 so you aren't really meant to beat your handicap all that often unless you are an improving golfer. I'd guess you will also find that most lower handicap golfers are already at their ceiling, not many are improving, most are just trying to hang onto their handicap. It's no surprise that if you only had 8 division 1 entries that the winner might end up being below 36 points.

Lowest gross should be rewarded even if it's outside the top 5 or 10 net scores simply because it was still the best round of golf played that day by anyone in the comp.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

I shot a 1 over gross for 35 points the other week and it was best gross

The winner of the medal was 40 points with a 15 over par

Which one of us played “mediocre” golf

To remove all doubt shall we just have scratch prizes only and then whoever shoots the lowest wins ? Would that not be the fairest way

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If that was the case then anyone with a blob should not be eligible for a prize as they have obviously bottled it at some point and not turned in a suitable winning performance.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

To remove all doubt shall we just have scratch prizes only and then whoever shoots the lowest wins ? Would that not be the fairest way
It absolutely would be the fairest way. But then that would shatter the illusion that we are somehow all able to compete because we have handicaps.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You shot 1 over your handicap .. do you think you played well ? Given the conditions and the top 10 scores where does your 35 sit ?
Or are you saying anyone who can’t shoot the single numbers or lower are not worthy of prizes ? If so you should just play scratch competitions and put your game to the test