Gloves - Advice

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently changed my grips to the Lamkin UTx Grips.

They are fantastic, but are very firm. This accompanied with the cord in them means that they are destroying my golf gloves in a matter of rounds.

Recently i've used the - Footjoy SciFlex and Srixon Cabreta Leather gloves and both have had the same effect.

The glove i've used that lasts a long time (and doesnt feel cheap) is the Weathersof GTX.

Any recommendations as to quality longer lasting gloves?

Thanks

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
"...they are destroying my golf gloves in a matter of rounds". Even cheap gloves should last longer than a few rounds so it sounds like you have an issue with your grip rather than the glove itself. Check the wear on the glove for the tale-tale signs of the club moving in your hand whilst striking.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Its highlighted in similar previous threads that the players grip is a factor on glove wear but if like me you're not ready to change your grip to suit a glove then I find most all-weather gloves (not rain gloves) are the best for durability

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May get laughed at but I now swear by the Dunlop NZ-9 gloves from Sports Direct. Only a fiver each, comfortable, hard wearing, grippy and really good value.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I recently changed my grips to the Lamkin UTx Grips.

They are fantastic, but are very firm. This accompanied with the cord in them means that they are destroying my golf gloves in a matter of rounds.

Recently i've used the - Footjoy SciFlex and Srixon Cabreta Leather gloves and both have had the same effect.

The glove i've used that lasts a long time (and doesnt feel cheap) is the Weathersof GTX.

Any recommendations as to quality longer lasting gloves?

Thanks

Don't grip the club so tightly.

I play full cord grips (More harsh than the UTx) and have no issue getting several months (.... If not a season) out of a love.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
end of last year i was really going though gloves 4 or 5 round before the thumb had a hole in or the palm. A mate had a load of Sciflex he was given that were all Xlarge, too big for him and felt the same to me as i usually just have large. when we turned up to play Muirfield at the end of October i didn't have a glove to he gave me one of the XL, still using int 3 months later, and that included 13 days straight use over Christmas/New year.

So will be using a larger glove from now on.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
end of last year i was really going though gloves 4 or 5 round before the thumb had a hole in or the palm. A mate had a load of Sciflex he was given that were all Xlarge, too big for him and felt the same to me as i usually just have large. when we turned up to play Muirfield at the end of October i didn't have a glove to he gave me one of the XL, still using int 3 months later, and that included 13 days straight use over Christmas/New year.

So will be using a larger glove from now on.
That may be a factor to be honest, my gloves are fairly tight. might try a bigger size and see how i get on!

cheers guys

Last edited:

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fundamentally the club should not create any wear on the glove because there should be no movement between club and glove. If there is wear and tear then the club is moving against the glove. Therefore there is likely to be an issue with either your grip, position on the grip or grip size. Get your pro to double-check it again.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Fundamentally the club should not create any wear on the glove because there should be no movement between club and glove. If there is wear and tear then the club is moving against the glove. Therefore there is likely to be an issue with either your grip, position on the grip or grip size. Get your pro to double-check it again.

Don't think so. I defy anyone to swing and the club not move in their hands at all, it will always move a little bit with the kind of forces involved. All my gloves wear in the same place, which happens to be one of the places where the glove is reinforced so wear at that point is expected.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Iv tried all sorts of gloves and always seem to go back to srixon ones they sell in sports direct for a fiver, I recently bought half a dozen of them as they were doing 2 pairs for £9. Iv never really monitored how long they last me though, at £4.50 a glove I'm not to fussed about replacing them every 12 rounds or so, but I reckon I'm getting much more than that out of them