Glasses.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Glasses for tv/reading, contacts for golf. No steaming up in cold weather or window wipers in the rain, the only downside is on real windy days I blink a little more. Big plus is you can still wear sunglasses and take them on and off when required.

I buy 2 months disposables dailies which gives me 60 sets, almost a years worth. I’d recommend the accusoft if your new to contacts as they don’t seem to agitate the eye as much.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gave up on wearing glasses for golf as soon as I got contact lenses when I was 25. I couldn’t be bothered with rain and sweat/steaming up getting on my glasses lenses. Contact lenses was a game changer for me.

As an aside, as soon as I started wearing conties I became a much better footballer. I didn’t realise quite how impacting my short-sightedness was on my football. All of a sudden I didn’t have to check three times to make sure I was going to pass to someone on my own side - and I could see the ball coming before it hit me - that being particularly handy as for much of my youth I was a goalie ?

Diamond

Visit site
I've been wearing varifocals for three years - normal frames work fine for golf, no need for a retaining strap of any sort - my only bugbear with wearing them for golf is the need to wear a baseball cap if it is raining to keep the water off the lenses - I dislike baseball caps quite a lot.
I too wear a cap and I find it keeps them rain off the lenses and also keeps my glasses on. The lenses are rimless at the bottom of each lense as well and are transition lenses. It is a mild irritation if they darken on a winters morning but they are protecting my eyes in the summer. I also have prescription Oakley shades for the red hot sunny days.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would these work?

iu

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Have always worn my everyday distance glasses for golf and can honestly say I've never found any difficulties with them. The only thing as mentioned by others is wearing a cap to keep them dry but that doesn't bother me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have always worn my everyday distance glasses for golf and can honestly say I've never found any difficulties with them. The only thing as mentioned by others is wearing a cap to keep them dry but that doesn't bother me.

I simply put on a waterproof cap on if it rains and the peak pulled down does protect the lenses in anything other than a torrential downpour. I carry a number of cloths to keep them as clear as possible

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
I have Oakley titanium rim less glasses which I wear all the time and as all Oakley do they stay put with the side sticky stuff. For summer got the Oakley sunglasses with the prism lense and boy do they make things sharp and clear.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glasses for tv/reading, contacts for golf. No steaming up in cold weather or window wipers in the rain, the only downside is on real windy days I blink a little more. Big plus is you can still wear sunglasses and take them on and off when required.

I buy 2 months disposables dailies which gives me 60 sets, almost a years worth. I’d recommend the accusoft if your new to contacts as they don’t seem to agitate the eye as much.

I tried contacts and just couldn't get use to them.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I first had to start wearing varifocals, I found that they were absolutely useless for golf.
Last time I had to go to the opticians I had two pairs made up, one pair with slightly narrower lenses for everyday use, and another pair made up with a deeper lens.
By doing this I could have the transition line moved up a little so that it didn't interfere with my eyeline when looking at the ball.
Find it works a treat.
Can't get on with contacts, or else I would wear them, because I'm absolutely Mr McGoo when it starts raining....

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tried contacts and just couldn't get use to them.
Not sure when you last tried contacts but, as a wearer for about 30 years, I can confirm that they have got a lot more comfortable and easy to clean over the years. Also, if you get dailies as some have suggested, you don't have to worry about cleaning, storage, etc so maintenance is not required. I know a lot of places give you a free trial so may be worth trying again as it should only take a few days to get used to wearing them and the opticians will show you how to put them in and take them out. If you practice touching your eye ball (sounds gross!) for a few days before you go for your fitting it will make it much easier to put lenses in and out.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure when you last tried contacts but, as a wearer for about 30 years, I can confirm that they have got a lot more comfortable and easy to clean over the years. Also, if you get dailies as some have suggested, you don't have to worry about cleaning, storage, etc so maintenance is not required. I know a lot of places give you a free trial so may be worth trying again as it should only take a few days to get used to wearing them and the opticians will show you how to put them in and take them out. If you practice touching your eye ball (sounds gross!) for a few days before you go for your fitting it will make it much easier to put lenses in and out.
Absolutely. I started wearing them 35yrs ago, gas permeables. They were hard plastic and difficult at first - I recall my eyes streaming as I walked up Gloucester Rd in Bristol from the optician with them first time in. But fairly quickly I got used to them. Cleaning and storage were a bit of a bind, and it was quite easy to accidentally pop one out and lose it - and that was expensive.

Modern disposable are in my experience a completely hassle free piece of cake, easy to put in once you’ve sorted the best order for you and best ‘angle of attack’, and no concerns about losing one as individually they are cheap. I carry spares in my golf bag just in case I pop one out and lose it.

yes…the touching the eyeball thing…doesn’t bother me in the slightest ??

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
This could turn into a contest as to who has been wearing contacts for the most number of years. My entry is 47 years so I am in the temporary lead.

As other posters say, contact lenses today are a totally different animal to those I first used - it was squash rather than golf which led to me starting to use them. I use daily disposables and, for the last 3 years, have used multifocal, which give me the distance vision necessary for golf and I can also read and write on a scorecard.

I recently talked a friend into having another go with contacts - he had had several unsuccessful tries in the past. After a lot of coaxing, he was persuaded to keep trying and he now wears them for golf all the time and his game has improved a fair bit. Clearly, it doesn't seem natural to touch your eyeball but it's only the faintest of touches and you will be surprised how you soon get used to it.

By the way, I still have no idea what giggs are. Googling produces nothing but pages about Ryan Giggs.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In my case it wasn't a comfort problem, it was going anywhere near my eye with my finger. Bloody horrible feeling and one that I did not want to have to do on a regular basis...???

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Somewhat perversely I've improved since I started wearing varifocals
Wear a cap in the rain and keep your head down.
Not being able to see properly could make some play better:whistle:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
When I first had to start wearing varifocals, I found that they were absolutely useless for golf.
Last time I had to go to the opticians I had two pairs made up, one pair with slightly narrower lenses for everyday use, and another pair made up with a deeper lens.
By doing this I could have the transition line moved up a little so that it didn't interfere with my eyeline when looking at the ball.
Find it works a treat.
Can't get on with contacts, or else I would wear them, because I'm absolutely Mr McGoo when it starts raining....

I had the same trouble. When I wentg to varifocals I struggled, I would see breaks on greens that weren't there, and even would see undulations on teeboxes that didn't exist.

I have switched to varifocal contacts - daily disposables. The perscription is not quite as sharp as my glasses, but they are uch better for playing golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had the same trouble. When I wentg to varifocals I struggled, I would see breaks on greens that weren't there, and even would see undulations on teeboxes that didn't exist.

I have switched to varifocal contacts - daily disposables. The perscription is not quite as sharp as my glasses, but they are uch better for playing golf.
I thought about varifocal disposable contacts but my optician persuaded me to have a go wearing a distance vision lens in my dominant eye and near vision lens in the other. Now that works great for me in most circumstances, the brain sorts things out and it enables me to read as well as see distance - and that’s my normal combo for out and about shopping or going for walks when I have to read a map etc…all works great.

But this doesn’t work so well for me when playing golf as I struggle to track the flight of my ball and where it ends up…I guess that due to some loss of binocular vision. So for golf I wear distance prescription lenses in both eyes. That means I struggle to use the golf app on my phone or read the rules book - but as I don’t do either normal times that’s no big deal.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Much as you don't want to hear it contacts are the way. I wear varifocals all day, but for anything sport related I use distance contact lenses. I tried the 'halfway house' option of a different lens in each eye, but for me it was too much of a compromise, not quite good enough at either near or far vision. I usually have a pair of off the shelf reading glasses to pop on with my contacts still in if I need to read something small print.

The touching the eyeball thing is mainly in your head, it really doesn't hurt in the slightest and the eyeball is surprisingly tough so you won't do any damage. Just take a few practices to get the technique right for you.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I just golf in my daily glasses - polarised sunglasses if its sunny.

I did originally wear contacts when I started to play golf but its just another expense you really dont need when glasses work fine.