Glasses, lenses and reading specs

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to play in contacts, no problems, could wear sunglasses and had a pair with interchangeable lenses for varying light conditions. All was good.

Over the years my near vision started to falter and I switched to varifocals (but not for golf).
Now have a pair of single vision lenses with photo chromatic lenses.

Anyway, going back to the opticians next week and am tempted to try lenses again - disposable ones - mainly for golf. However, with lenses in my near sight is worse and I need reading glasses to see my GPS watch, and any small print scorecards.

Anyone carry/use reading glasses? Have seen those small foldaway ones so am thinking about trying them.

Don't suggest varifocals - tried using them for golf and my swing is all over the place (more so than usual!).

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I can't offer advice on reading glasses for golf but I now wear glasses over 90% of the time I golf after an eye examination showed that I had quite bad UV damage to the front of my eyes. I instantly bought a set of Oakley sunglasses and have bought three different sets of lenses for various light conditions.

I'd urge all golfers to get their eyes tested regularly.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear transition variofocals all the time even for golf without any issues. Anaway I had my eyes tested a couple of weeks back and was asking the optometrist about contacts and he advised that there are now variofocal contacts available but unfortunately they're not suitable for me as I have cataracts. My playing partner uses contacts and he has a distance prescription in one eye and a reading prescription in the other which seem to work well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had laser surgery for my job 20yrs ago .
but I do need reading glasses , I have a pair of the folding ones they are a pain .
My mate works in an online glasses business and he suggested ( Dont laugh) a Monical.
Sounds silly but it’s not , I wear it on a chain around my neck and you only need one eye to see a score card.
Dont dissmis it it’s brilliant once you get used to it.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I wear transition variofocals all the time even for golf without any issues. .

I just can't get on with varifocals for golf, looking down at the ball is not as clear as I would like and I think it changes my stance/head position.
For the same reason I don't fancy varifocal contacts as I suspect that would be even more of an issue.

I did try wearing one contact years ago on the advice of my optician (not for golf) but again couldn't cope with that as I found myself closing the other eye depending on whether I was focussing near or far!

Have looked at a couple foldable glasses, Nooz and Thinoptics, both look OK and easily stored on/in a golf bag.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I had laser surgery for my job 20yrs ago .
but I do need reading glasses , I have a pair of the folding ones they are a pain .
My mate works in an online glasses business and he suggested ( Dont laugh) a Monical.
Sounds silly but it’s not , I wear it on a chain around my neck and you only need one eye to see a score card.
Dont dissmis it it’s brilliant once you get used to it.

Funny, I had considered that....or even a magnifier of some sort attached to my bag!!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had my sight laser corrected about 15 years ago but one had problems 2 years ago and is now worse than the other so I sometimes wear corrected distance glasses, or nothing at all, relying on the good eye, but when its raining I just wear one contact lens.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably quicker and easier to carry a magnifying glass. Pocket size one like this
023.jpg

I find bifocals are quite good, not a lot of difference to my usual aviator style glasses I use for golf.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have transition lenses in my glasses so they darken when it's bright. Find they make it very easy to see the ball in sunny conditions. On the down side they are a pain the rear end when it rains. I keep a cap in my bag as well as a couple of cloths to wipe them in they get too damp. I'm extremely nervous about laser surgery for no reason other than I'm squeamish about anything to do with my eyes which is why I've never entertained the idea of contacts

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mono vision contacts. One lens for distance is worn usually in your dominant eye. Other eye has no or very little correction for distance. Brain works out which one to use depending on what you're trying to look at. If it works for you (as it did for me) it is incredibly effective.

After years of that system I was getting fed up when I took my one lens out and put my specs on as near vision compromised. I now where an Ortho K lens overnight in my dominant eye and take it out in the morning and perfect vision all day - amazing!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Mono vision contacts. One lens for distance is worn usually in your dominant eye. Other eye has no or very little correction for distance. Brain works out which one to use depending on what you're trying to look at. If it works for you (as it did for me) it is incredibly effective.

After years of that system I was getting fed up when I took my one lens out and put my specs on as near vision compromised. I now where an Ortho K lens overnight in my dominant eye and take it out in the morning and perfect vision all day - amazing!

Thanks Amanda. I tried one lens but couldn't get on with it, maybe both eyes need a little help, lost sense of depth, so think thats a non starter, especially for golf.

Have read about Ortho K and that sounds interesting. Am unsure if it would work for someone like me who wears varifocals. Will have to investigate further.

Do you find it easy to sleep in them or did they take some getting used to? I ask because I remember years ago falling asleep with my GP lenses in (had a few beers!) - felt like my eyelids were stuck together in the morning!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Amanda. I tried one lens but couldn't get on with it, maybe both eyes need a little help, lost sense of depth, so think thats a non starter, especially for golf.

Have read about Ortho K and that sounds interesting. Am unsure if it would work for someone like me who wears varifocals. Will have to investigate further.

Do you find it easy to sleep in them or did they take some getting used to? I ask because I remember years ago falling asleep with my GP lenses in (had a few beers!) - felt like my eyelids were stuck together in the morning!

I started mono vision with a small correction in my non dominant eye so maybe that helped - gradually changed to no correction. The ortho k lens is very like a gp lens from what I'm told. Not the most comfortable but hasn't bothered me in the night and I'm a light sleeper generally. Some can struggle to get it out in the morning but I've found it fine - just sort of use the lower lid to push up against the top and out it pops.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
PS Went ortho-k mono vision to avoid varifocals so assume it would correct distance but compromise reading if not on a mono vision basis. In which case reading glasses or extra long arms needed!

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have worn bifocals for approx 10 years but did not wear anything for cricket or golf until two years ago. I found that I needed glasses for batting. Unfortunately, I thought it a bit dangerous so I decided to try disposable contacts last year. They were superb and allowed me to drive in them too. I then found that they helped my golf as I could follow the ball better in the air.

You just have to find the best combination to suit your eyes and a small lens for the card would be a good idea.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to play in contacts, no problems, could wear sunglasses and had a pair with interchangeable lenses for varying light conditions. All was good.

Over the years my near vision started to falter and I switched to varifocals (but not for golf).
Now have a pair of single vision lenses with photo chromatic lenses.

Anyway, going back to the opticians next week and am tempted to try lenses again - disposable ones - mainly for golf. However, with lenses in my near sight is worse and I need reading glasses to see my GPS watch, and any small print scorecards.

Anyone carry/use reading glasses? Have seen those small foldaway ones so am thinking about trying them.

Don't suggest varifocals - tried using them for golf and my swing is all over the place (more so than usual!).

I wear standard daily contacts with numerous pairs of varying strength reading glasses. For occasions when using reading glasses is inconvenient I bought a pack of Acuvue moist multifocals - expensive but give you the distance function of your normal contacts with an ability to read with them in. They're not perfect for both distance and reading but a reasonable compromise.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear verifocal glasses and didn't like playing golf in them, ball went blurred when I swung the club no matter how I kept my head still. So bought single vision to play golf in and I just do the old man peer over the top to wright my score down. Contacts don't give me the clarity of vision For me.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are various types of variofocal lenses which give less distortion than others. Initially I went for the cheaper types which gave distortion between the distance/reading portion of the lens. My next pair I went for the more expensive lens and there is no noticible distortion.