Glasses, lenses and reading specs

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
So no good for golf?
I am happy wearing varifocal glasses for work and at home, just looking for something for golf.

They are fine for golf and quite useful for reading. I can't say I noticed any difference for golf but I was probably too optimistically hopeful that it would be perfect for both. They were, however, helpful for reading rather than glasses.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I read the LRs on the scorecard before I go out (wearing my reading glasses) then pack the away in the bag (with the rules book) and hope I don't need to get them out during the round!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use varifocals which I had made with a prescription for golf. The lens has the transition to close up work much lower on the eye-line than normal. Consequently the majority of the lens is suitable for long distance and the lower 20 - 25% is Ok for scorecards stuff.

The frame/lens style is curved as with the Oakley's and with the light sensitive system they're great. It does mean being careful when putting.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a 'funny' several years ago when I tried a single contact lens in my 'poor' eye.

It took me 12 holes to realise that the contact lens made every single putt look as if it was left to right.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a 'funny' several years ago when I tried a single contact lens in my 'poor' eye.

It took me 12 holes to realise that the contact lens made every single putt look as if it was left to right.

I assume you single putted the last 6 holes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have been a contact lens wearer for over 50 years but deterioration in the last few years prevents full correction so I have one eye for distance & the other for reading. Not perfect but is a 'best solution' for me. Never seemed to get to grips with varifocals when I tried them.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wow. Thought I’d tried everything and still not satisfied with my current solution but I’d never considered a monical. I’m going to look into that!!

Currently wear varifocal glasses but have never even contemplated trying to play golf in them. Use disposable lenses for golf, distance prescription in both eyes. Tried monovision but found the lack of clarity on long wayward drives frustrating.

My arms aren’t quite long enough for the scorecard so use a pair of cheapo reading glasses from Boots for that. But it’s such a faff retrieving them from the bag 18 times. Monical round my neck here I come. At least it will give my PP’s a laugh :)

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm in the same place as you Troymcclure.........know it sounds odd and never something I had considered, but a monical does seems to be quite a practical option! Not sure about it round my neck though - might interfere with my swing unless i had a breast pocket in my polo shirt to pop it into!!

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've just had a wander up and down my local high street whilst SlowFit put some tyres on my car. Went into 3 opticians and two of the young assistants had never even heard of the word monocle. I felt old. My impression of Lord Charles didn't help. I'll check online.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow. Thought I’d tried everything and still not satisfied with my current solution but I’d never considered a monical. I’m going to look into that!!

Currently wear varifocal glasses but have never even contemplated trying to play golf in them. Use disposable lenses for golf, distance prescription in both eyes. Tried monovision but found the lack of clarity on long wayward drives frustrating.

My arms aren’t quite long enough for the scorecard so use a pair of cheapo reading glasses from Boots for that. But it’s such a faff retrieving them from the bag 18 times. Monical round my neck here I come. At least it will give my PP’s a laugh :)
once you get used to it it’s the future!!
I had mine made to my reading prescription but you will only have it on for a few seconds.

Last edited:

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had mine made to my reading prescription but you will only have it on for a few seconds.
This wouldn't work for the situation discussed would it? The reading prescription would be for one's un-corrected sight but we're talking about using with corrected sight via contact lenses. That would be different prescription wouldn't it? When I bought my Boots reading glasses for golf I just wore my contact lenses to the shop and chose via trial and error.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
This wouldn't work for the situation discussed would it? The reading prescription would be for one's un-corrected sight but we're talking about using with corrected sight via contact lenses. That would be different prescription wouldn't it? When I bought my Boots reading glasses for golf I just wore my contact lenses to the shop and chose via trial and error.

Yes, absolutely. I don't need reading glasses to be honest without lenses in, can read all but very small print. Wearing lenses my near sight is compromised further and I need reading glasses hence my original post on options.

That was one of the reasons I gave up wearing contacts, felt cheated that I needed to also wear reading glasses as my near sight was worse with them in!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I need reading glasses for reading , I have had laser surgery for long sight.
If you didn’t need readers you would not need a monocle so if your lenses are stopping you reading yes your right.