Girls "better off not" Aloud.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
You are all on the right lines ...it has very little to do with talent but saleability and targeted at who spends more money on 'music'. Way back in my youth teenagers threw themselves around to very hairy 'old' looking stars such as Slade , Sweet, Wizard etc...it was the music that counted but now prepubescent teens and younger with wads of pocket money call the shots so out go any one who looks older enough to be their dad and in come fresh faced boys and girls who this generation of music buyers can relate to......hence 'boy' or 'girl' bands. There is still an awful lot of very good non mainstream artists out there who don't need the x factor vehicle to achieve public acclaim....the x factor is just a quick step up and equally quick step (having made a few quid) down for the moderately talented but amiable 'youth' market and therefore a prolonged shelf life is not what this programme is all about. Taken for what it is ... 'light entertainment'... then arguably it hits the spot.
Personally I have never been a fan of or adored any particular artist or band/group I base my listening purely on whether I like the track/song thus unlocking the different genres, decades and styles to give me a truly eclectic taste.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Girls Aloud played an open air concert at Battle Abbey during the Summer...I live close by and wanted to go and see them.
I suggested leaving really early so I could get down the front (or mosh pit as my son calls it) and hopefully get a glimpse up their kilts. Sod their music.
The missus didn't let me go in the end