Hole in one - or not?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thinking about this I'm not convinced........
What constitutes a golf hole..? A teeing area, a green and a hole.
Doesn't say how long it should be.
Would a Hi1 on a 20 yard hole be considered? If it has a teeing are, a green and a hole then it must be..right?
Not really.....so length isn’t the deciding factor. Otherwise you could make a hole in your back garden and get hundreds....
For me....if the hole is on a course that is measured and has a rating (or SSS if it was a few years back) then it counts.
I think that's a sensible place to draw the line. Again, the length doesn't matter.
But you local fun par 3 course isn't where you get a real Hole in 1...in my opinion.....others may vary

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The "was it in an official comp?" crew will along shortly! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Then there's the hierarchy of medal over stableford etc etc :giggle:

Perhaps Club Systems and Boss watches got it right when they laid down their conditions for the award of a Boss watch for a Hole in One:

"The Hole-In-One must have been scored in a singles handicap qualifying, club competition, sorry no general play scores, better-balls, matchplay or greensomes etc. "

Albo

Visit site
Thinking about this I'm not convinced........
What constitutes a golf hole..? A teeing area, a green and a hole.
Doesn't say how long it should be.
Would a Hi1 on a 20 yard hole be considered? If it has a teeing are, a green and a hole then it must be..right?
Not really.....so length isn’t the deciding factor. Otherwise you could make a hole in your back garden and get hundreds....
For me....if the hole is on a course that is measured and has a rating (or SSS if it was a few years back) then it counts.
I think that's a sensible place to draw the line. Again, the length doesn't matter.
But you local fun par 3 course isn't where you get a real Hole in 1...in my opinion.....others may vary
That’s where my head was originally on it.
I’m thankful that I already have one on a full course so it’s not as much of an issue either way.
In my mind it is a hole in one, but it’s a hole in one on a par 3 course. Oddly enough the measured tee marker was only 7 yards shorter than the HiO I got on a full course.
Happy to have differing opinions on this one

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If I had one on our par 3 course, it would be classed as a hole in one, cos there's not much chance of me getting one in the championship course, 3 of the 4 are woods for most players.
The par 3 course is actually par 30 with three par 4's, but all bar one of the par 3's are over 100 yards, most are probably around 120/130, and one of them is 180 uphill into a prevailing wind.
If you had a hole in one on the 3rd hole at Torrequebrada - without doubt a well regarded course - it would still count as a hole in one, even though the hole itself is a bit mickey mouse, measuring only 75 metres.
So yeah, you had a hole in one. (y)

Last edited:

IanMcC

Visit site
I would say if the course is rated, its a HI1.
Otherwise, I wouldnt count it for myself, but would not begrudge anyone counting it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In our roll up yesterday I holed a tee shot pitch on a 49yd temporary 17th hole being played from a mat to a temporary green. Because of the work being done on this and on our 14th hole, our Back 9 is currently not a qualifying course.

I haven‘t had a HI1 in my 50yrs playing, and few (those wanting a bottle of whisky from me on the bar) if any thought that what I’d done really counted. Btw - we were still scoring the hole as a par4, though we have decided that we don’t take the shot normally given for most, so I guess I maybe also got an albatross…and in those 50yrs I haven’t had one of them either. But no. ?

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If its the first stroke on a hole that's part of a course that's been rated as a golf course then it's a hole in one, anything else is just a hole in the ground

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whi
If its the first stroke on a hole that's part of a course that's been rated as a golf course then it's a hole in one, anything else is just a hole in the ground
And that means my 49yder on Saturday don’t count as a ‘proper’ one. Which is what I’d rather prefer…but I’ll keep the albatross ???