getting people in their 20's into Golf?

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To add to this, has golf ever been popular with people in their twenties? The nature of the game lends itself to people with money, time and looking for a slow paced sport to enjoy, getting away from the stresses of life for a few hours, all of which don't massively appeal to the majority of twenty somethings who are in the live fast stage of their lives.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To add to this, has golf ever been popular with people in their twenties? The nature of the game lends itself to people with money, time and looking for a slow paced sport to enjoy, getting away from the stresses of life for a few hours, all of which don't massively appeal to the majority of twenty somethings who are in the live fast stage of their lives.
Exactly! I got back into Golf when I was 25 and I was born middle aged as my Mrs points out

Takes too much time at a weekend to keep young people interested

I had to give up my season ticket to play weekend games with my mates because it was too much rushing around

Plus people in their 20s are told to reign in their spending to afford a house.. Golf is probably the worst sport they can take up

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As someone in my early 20s, I know for a fact that there are a lot more things going on in life than playing golf. When you're working five or six days a week, you use your days off to run errands, see family, shopping, go out, etc. Only the most dedicated would find enough time in their weekend to have a round of golf.

There is also the lack of like-minded players from a similar age group, and the perceived "stuffiness" of golf clubs. Yes, you could simply rock up to the club and play with other members, but they would probably be older, and (no offence intended) have a completely different mentality. The rapport and cohesion is just more difficult between younger and older players. It's a multiplier effect. If more young people played, then more and more would start, like a snowball rolling down a mountain. It's just getting that spark.

The money issue can either be massive problem or none at all. I know people in their 20s who have more money than sense because they live with their parents. On the other hand, those with a mortgage, rent or young kids can be literally on the breadline. The intrinsic value of £1000 to someone in their 20s is usually massive, and it would take serious consideration to spend it on a golf membership. The £15-£20 per round is much more appealing, so there's a lack of interest in becoming members.

A load of my friends in their late 20s and early 30s switched from playing cricket to golf. Cricket can be a long drive to matches, and a very long day. Your whole Saturday was written-off for 22 weeks every year. Most were newly married and or with young kids, so a 7:00am tee-off, a couple of pints, and you're back home with the family by dinnertime. It just works so well.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm 26, the main thing stopping me joining a club is joining fees, and the fact that colt rates stop at 25.

Some clubs around here (Southport/Liverpool) have taken this on board, and offer colt rates up to 30, and/or waive joining fees. S&A are currently offering a colt rate till 30, as are Hesketh, but Hesketh also waives the joining fee.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tiered membership scheme is something that clubs need to look into and also having the ability to pay monthly as a lot of younger people probably do not have access to pay it all upfront. I do not understand when people say about having to subsidize these players through their own fees. If your fees do not go up to enable this then all that is happening is you are increasing revenue.

if you gave a discounted price at say 500 then bring in another 20 members then your club is increasing revenue by 10,000 a year, which can only mean that more improvements can be made making your enjoyment of your course better.

One thing that I have seen at some clubs round here is a "member for the month" offer. Basically you pay a one off amount and then get all the benefits of membership for the month. The pro will help you find games when ever you want to play and also get you into some swindles to meet some of the members in that environment. Show someone how good being a member is and then hopefully they take up full membership.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some people have said about targeting the older golfer in their 50's. IMO that is a complete waste of time, if your at an age where you are financially sound and the kids have flown the nest you would already be a member somewhere if that is what interests you. I do not really know what a club could really do as a special offer to bring these people in.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say I’m the story of a typical 20s golfer.

Joined under discount, under 800 for a 1200 full price club.

Played loads and loads, just had to stop playing rugby so this filled my daylight hours.

Like many I followed the work and eventually left the area. Now in my 30s I can’t afford membership, am extremely time poor (before family it was fine) due to children and mostly unmotivated to play anything more that a couple of hours as I have a pile of chores to do and need to spend time with my son.

I will get back into golf, probably in my 40/s when my children are older.

Do we need to get 20s golfers in? Yes!

Do we need to try and keep them when they have other commitments? No!

Intermediate memberships probably last only a few years for most pre-family, when Work and family life take over the golfer just goes dormant, you have set the seeds for not just one returning member but they bring along little ones too! Sounds a good investment, even if it doesn’t always pay off or takes 10 years to mature.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think targeting the 20’s is the way forward, in fact I don’t think targeting any age group is the answer. Having a good club atmosphere and course in good condition are for me the way forward to increase member retention.
To get people interested in the game as a whole bring back pitch and putt courses. That is where you get anybody playing, all ages and families which would probably give you a greater number moving onto the full game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm now a member at this club. Pay £250 a year and £5 for 9 holes whenever I want to play. Think it's £8 for 18. Much more palatable compared to coughing up £1000+ as a beginner when you don't even know if the games for you. Optional upgrade to a full membership is always there & something I'll likely do next year.

I'm 26, the main thing stopping me joining a club is joining fees, and the fact that colt rates stop at 25.

Some clubs around here (Southport/Liverpool) have taken this on board, and offer colt rates up to 30, and/or waive joining fees. S&A are currently offering a colt rate till 30, as are Hesketh, but Hesketh also waives the joining fee.

At my club I only pay £100 a year for membership (handicap and ability to enter tournaments), then I pay green fees on top of that whenever I want to play. I find this ideal as I would never have been able to afford to join a club where it's over a grand in one whack - and also I would have felt obliged to play there every week, whereas I like to play different courses every once in a while. I'm not quite in my 20s anymore (31) but the benefits in terms of cost and time (i.e. not feeling like you have to play every week to make it worthwhile) are still relevant I think.

P.S. Mine is a public, council run course though and the golf club just operates there, so that probably makes a difference in terms of what they can offer. Either way I still found it convenient.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At my club I only pay £100 a year for membership (handicap and ability to enter tournaments), then I pay green fees on top of that whenever I want to play. I find this ideal as I would never have been able to afford to join a club where it's over a grand in one whack - and also I would have felt obliged to play there every week, whereas I like to play different courses every once in a while. I'm not quite in my 20s anymore (31) but the benefits in terms of cost and time (i.e. not feeling like you have to play every week to make it worthwhile) are still relevant I think.

P.S. Mine is a public, council run course though and the golf club just operates there, so that probably makes a difference in terms of what they can offer. Either way I still found it convenient.

definitely the way forward.. however got to wonder how the club would survive on just that from each member

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Scrap joining fees and lock membership fees until 30 or so. Might also be an idea to do a season rate from April to October or something instead of the entire year. Or even a system where you get a heavily reduced rate and you can play 20 times a year or something.

I'm 27 next month and it would be good to have a few more members my age. The club I'm at have incremental membership fees and have got rid of the joining fee - and it has worked.

Now I believe that we as young adults start at 50% and it goes up 10% each year. This applies up to 34. Its fairly decent.

I left my old club Gainsborough after being their 18 months because at 24 they stop young adult rates and charge you full rates. I work full time decent enough job and I just didn't want to pay that much to play once a week or twice a week if I'm lucky.

A lot of senior members and full time members moan about young'uns getting a better rate but they probably get to play more rounds than people in my age bracket.

It's a tough one. End of the day if somebody in their 20s wants to be a member - they can and will do.

Most of my pals I speak to like the idea of golf but don't like the stuffiness as clubs and the fact it's genuinely expensive if they just want to play casually during the summer.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When people comment on the cost of membership for young people, I do wonder what the annualised phone contract costs are being spent by those same people.
Life is full of choices, and what to spend your money on is just one ( with many sub divisions) we all have to make:)

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
When people comment on the cost of membership for young people, I do wonder what the annualised phone contract costs are being spent by those same people.
Life is full of choices, and what to spend your money on is just one ( with many sub divisions) we all have to make:)

You say that but for many paying £50 a month for a phone is value, they use it all the time, like every 10 mins ;).

Paying £100 a month to play twice a month is not seen as value. It is not the actual cost more than the sense of use and value you get out of something. Hence £50 a month for a phone is far better value than a £100 a month for something you may struggle to use.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You say that but for many paying £50 a month for a phone is value, they use it all the time, like every 10 mins ;).

Paying £100 a month to play twice a month is not seen as value. It is not the actual cost more than the sense of use and value you get out of something. Hence £50 a month for a phone is far better value than a £100 a month for something you may struggle to use.
And as I said, life is about choices.
For me, £50 a month on a mobile phone contract is a waste and poor value whereas £100 a month for unlimited golf( which is for me at least 4 times a month) is both value for money and a healthy option for both mind and body:)
It’s choices, and unfortunately we can’t have it all...as much as we may want:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Being in my last few years of my 20’s.
Lads my age are out chasing tail, too afraid of a mouthful off the other half, that sport where you kick a ball or Console gaming.

I’m lucky to have a missus with her own life and hobbies which saves my ears.

Personally it’s difficult to get my age group into golf because, well... women.

Joking aside it’s just time. And golf takes a lot of time and investment. Not only in time but money.

We should pay less than seniors. playing golf 5 times a week on your lovely final salary pension package, ripping the fairways up in boggy weather in your buggies!

Luvvin' that :)

But on days that I have a resentment hat on - playing my once a week round in the winter on a muddy course churned up by day-after-day mid-week golf - my thinking can go there.

Well on my previous track it did - but current track is sand-based heathland and so try and very little mud - even when very wet

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Offering discounted memberships is not going to get people into golf but might help keep some of the juniors playing.

When i was that age, admittedly quite a while ago now, I had absolutely no interest in golf. Had much more interesting, less time consuming and enjoyable pastimes. And i still do, golf is just one of the things I sometimes like doing if I feel like it.

When I was 20 the only people my age playing were those that were introduced to the game by their families.

Golf had, and in my opinion still has, that elitist attitude which will put a lot of younger players off.

i just can't see someone who has never had any involvement in golf before seeing a discounted golf membership and think, that looks good value I think I'll give that ago.

Maybe different in other regions, but certainly down south that's what it looks like to me.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
And as I said, life is about choices.
For me, £50 a month on a mobile phone contract is a waste and poor value whereas £100 a month for unlimited golf( which is for me at least 4 times a month) is both value for money and a healthy option for both mind and body:)
It’s choices, and unfortunately we can’t have it all...as much as we may want:)

But again it's not about life choices per se. If you used your phone like the people in their 20's and believe me they pretty much all do and could only play 2 times a month then it wouldn't feel like a good deal. It's ok to look at it from your point but to get more people in we need to look at it from everyone's point. The younger you are the more a phone is used and valued. Us old farts don't value it and don't really need it.

It's not a life choice it's having money and how you value what you get for it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
i am just coming out of the 'intermediate' age range as i am now 30. I've been a member at 6 clubs in my life so have a pretty good understanding about what attracts people. However, i've never needed encouragement to play etc

personally, i think graduated memberships are the way forward, it enables people to stay at a club whilst gradually increasing the fee they pay. in addition, i think many more clubs should consider pay as you play memberships where you pay an upfront fee per year and then a cost each time you play.

my intermediate cost this yeah has been £700 all in. next year i would be paying £1150. However i've kept track of every round i have played and have a number of options to choose from based on my average amount of playing. the ALL IN option will 100% not be best value for me.

Many clubs from what i see are very short sighted. having someone pay (for example) £XXX per year then £XX a round is better than charging £XXXX and them not joining at all.

My Club also refunds money per round if you do not play enough, this money is then taken off your fee for next year, another great way of retaining membership.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Thanks for the replies... i understand why we would want to attract this demographic as they are the members of the future

Are they though?

They are most likely to rent, rather than own. Unlikely to have a family and more likely to change jobs. All of this can mean relocating elsewhere.
It's unlikely that they are going to be members at one club for the next 40 years.

If you want long term 'member of the future', you'd be better of attracting people with families. I'm sure the statistics will suggest that these people are predominantly in their 30s