getting people in their 20's into Golf?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want something really radical I would propose making rounds of golf 12 holes.

The even easier option is having more 9 hole comps, assuming that more courses have loops of 9 than 12's. If you are at a course where the 12th green brings you back to the club house then that works for your course. More courses do it after 9 although more thought should be given to that by designers.

I've pushed at our place to bring in 9 hole comps for next year to encourage people who are pushed for time. For the 20yr olds who still play other team sports they could play a 9 hole comp and go off to play cricket, football, etc in the afternoon still. They would struggle to do that, also be perhaps too tired, if it was 18 holes. Not sure how successful I will be.

Good suggestion for a number of people though, not just the 20's group.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think most of the ideas posted would help to retain people who already playing in their teens and 20's.

I think golf is a game you need to be introduced to by someone who already plays. So existing players and members need to encourage people they know to take up the sport and help them get going. Club advertising, lower fees, shorter rounds etc isn't going to get someone who has never played before to take it up.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"I only took the game up in my early 30's and really wish I did play earlier but looking back I too probably had too much going on."

Exactly me. I played football until my early 30's, the had couple of years doing marathons etc, then got into golf when I had more time and more money to play golf.

I don't think if golf was free I'd of played any sooner. While younger and single you can go out have have fun and you can hide on a football pitch hungover. Now mid/late 30's, married and enjoying a different type of 'fun' now & you can't hide on a golf course while hungover. Believe me I've tried. I think golf needs to attract more 30/40's into the game.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club pro made a few proposals to the club for getting this age bracket more into golf but most of them seemed pretty naff- poker tournaments, pool tournaments etc which I honestly don't think would have any effect.

Also our club are next to a motorway so it's not easily accessible for people wanting to have a drink so another thing was proposed shuttle buses away from the club after medals which might sound good in theory but not sure the other members would appreciate the club being used for a lads p*** up.

There's three markets you're talking about:

1. 20-30yr olds who are currently members of a club
2. 20-30yr olds who play golf occasionally but are not a member of a club
3. 20-30yr olds who play golf either rarely or never, and aren't members of clubs

First group: you're going to have to come up with a financial incentive which would make people leave in their droves. For the 20-30yr old moneysupermarketcomparemeerkatuswitch generation, it all comes down to the mighty dollar. What price would it take for this group to move to a club which is probably farther away from their home? Also, it's likely that this group have an attachment through mates at their current club. As such, I would market to this assumption:

"4 for 3 on memberships. If 4 friends join at the same time, one goes free- including on special joining rates".

Further, there's a good chance that this group have paid joining fees at their previous club. Consideration would have to be given to scrap joining fees altogether. I'm sure the current membership would love that.

Second group: The question is: What can I do to engineer a 20-something to give up one day each weekend instead of one day a month, to play golf and to pay circa £900 a year to do so? This is very, very, tough. You could offer a £200 membership with half-price green fees (or whatever) in an attempt to get their money rather than them going elsewhere for bounce games. However, this would be risky as there will be some members who hardly ever play who would consider dropping down to this category. Again, mob mentality would help (encouraging groups of pals to sign up through special deals) as well as scrapping joining fee, first year at a very cheap price etc. Poker tournaments and an ability to drink won't do it- would you spend your Friday night at the club?!!! Also very important that if an amazing intro offer was put on that FIVE TIMES the effort is put in by the club to ensure that new members have a club experience that makes sure they never want to leave. I have talked about this lots in the past, from how new members are introduced to others, to support them access medals, club matches, bounce games etc. The club, like most others, don't do nearly enough in this regard.

Third group: Good luck. You're going to have more success with members introducing their mates to the course, or running open days / get into golf days etc, than putting money, time and effort into attempting to attract this group.

The above ideas expand across the age ranges, and while I would like to see a much larger group of 20-30 year olds at golf clubs, perhaps it's time to focus on the older age bracket. That's where the immediate money is at- there's an existing market there to be fought over. As for growing a new market, in my opinion that's the role of the SGU.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many ideas floating about, but whilst it’s laudable to think of new ways to bring in younger members, it mustn’t be forgotten that most clubs have a limited number of member spaces, and to increase a lower revenue stream to the detriment of full paying members will just reduce the clubs ability to fund ongoing maintenance and future projects.
Just as with most things financial in the country, loyalty isn’t rewarded and too much attention is given to new customer influx ignoring the obvious churn that creates.
Clubs need a constant revenue income, and whilst it is important to try and encourage young players into the game, you can’t ignore that unless you’re born with that silver spoon in your mouth which means most younger players won’t be able to afford financially or time wise to continue regular golf.
What you can do is give them a taste of it before they have real life commitments and hope they return once life’s challenges have eased for them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think maturity comes into it aswell.. lot of 20-30 yo can smash it long and that’s all they want so when the course punishes long hitters with trees and u have to think and take an iron this is boring

Some find it too hard.. for me personally that is the fun! I’m not a master of anything but most things I turn my hand to I can do to a respectable level but not Golf. I find that very hard to master .. mayb it’s why it’s the only hobby that’s ever kept me interested!!! I love the fact that one week I can play reasonable and the next god awful

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virtuocity a very well thought out plan.... you could be the task force for this- I think you should join the committee :D

If Robster is looking in I think he should be approaching you for more ideas!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you should join the committee :D

If Robster is looking in I think he should be approaching you for more ideas!

I've been asked before- between fostering kids, having my own wee ones and a full time job in a crazy profession, I have no scope to commit to such a role. I'd only let people down by missing tonnes of meetings.

However, always more than happy to submit ideas for consideration. Have done in the past- still awaiting feedback on one actually- will chase Robster up :-D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want something really radical I would propose making rounds of golf 12 holes.

I don’t think it’s radical, it’s a valid option.

18 holes is too many and takes too long. 12 is a valid future option for Golf. We are all so time poor now, despite modern gadgets as we all work so much and don’t share childcare through generations as much now.

I think the future is 4 generations under one roof and 12 holes of golf.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

18 holes is too many and takes too long. 12 is a valid future option for Golf. We are all so time poor now, despite modern gadgets as we all work so much and don’t share childcare through generations as much now.

I can’t think of anything worse than 4 generations under a roof unless the house is a mansion with seperate rooms lol

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I can’t think of anything worse than 4 generations under a roof unless the house is a mansion with seperate rooms lol

I can; a round of golf that's only 12 holes... :confused:

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just started playing, I'm 25 and have played a few times over the years, think I bought a set of clubs when I was 18 and maybe played 5 or 6 times, then gave it a go last year and never really got into it. For some reason though the other month something just clicked in my head and ever since I haven't been able to stop thinking about playing golf. Bought myself a good set of second hand Callaway's and then joined a local(ish) club with both a Par 54 and a Par 72 course and am finding it thoroughly enjoyable. I would play everyday if I could.

I think when you are offering gimmicks such as poker tournaments etc to get people interested then it is a sign that it's never really going to take off.