getting people in their 20's into Golf?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with everyone that has said targeting 20 somethings is targeting the wrong group of people.

In my opinion, families should be the target. Getting Mum and / or Dad playing with the kids will benefit today (full membership for Mum and / or Dad) and tomorrow (the getting the bug now and being members at various points in the future when their circumstances allow).

Just trying to get 20 somethings in won't stop them giving up their membership when they have a family and don't have time to play. Better to try and offer something to people who want to play but can't commit to £1k per annum memberships to only then play 15 times per year, e.g. flexible memberships and other things that will keep people connected with the club even when they don't have the time to justify a full membership, such that when they do have more time and a full membership economically makes sense, they can move back to that. As far as I'm concerned, that kind of thing is essential if clubs want to attract people with a young family and if I were running a club that's exactly what I would do.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Families are the way forward

Crown Golf do memberships that include 2 junior members in your yearly fee so you can play with the family

One of my ranges built a course and have a gold membership that is 2 adults and 2 kids unlimited use of the range.. the mini golf.. the course.. footgolf etc.. just gets people interested

My par 3 course include a junior for every paying adult

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Here's the thing about getting young folk into golf- if the person trying to attract them in is in their 50s or 60s it's not going to work.

To attract the young crowd I have seen a number of ridiculous ideas including a cocktail bar because all the kids love a cocktail....

Ultimately it's always coming down to money in that demographic. The option for me is trying to attract the juniors. I suggested approaching a number of private schools in Edinburgh who have golf teams and offer the facilities to the team for matches etc. then add in to it that they can join for £80 a year and then you have a junior section. Watch it grow from there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Further to the last few posts, I played at Wike Ridge GC in Leeds a couple of years ago, I think someone on here is a member. That is a great example of a modern club that is set up to attract families into golf. I was hugely impressed by the set up there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our experience suggests that when they arrive because of the price and, to a great degree, they move on for the same reason to someone offering the best discount for their age (and there seems a bit of a battleground on 'intermediate membership'.

same happened at ours, loads signed up, didn't play any of the medals, just a cheap alternative to other clubs often their original course. Ive no problem helping out those that were members as juniors and parents are members.

But i can't help feeling targeting older people into golf is being missed.

TBH when i was at Uni and even my 30's when is was still Cycling and playing Cricket every weekend, golf did not appeal to me in the slightest. once i was faced with not really being able to play to the same standard in those sports any longer, Golf filled the gap.

clubs all appear to be clammering for 20/30 somethings and offering half price when there are plenty of better off candidates who are older with more time on their hands;) and more cash, which less face it it what clubs really want... paying members

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My club pro runs get into golf sessions. Group lessons, weekly, £10 a week. Either on the course in the afternoon, or local range one evening a week. Aimed at beginners. My Mrs decided to give it a go and is now really enjoying it. Golf lessons are generally very expensive. Especially if you only want to give it a go & see if it's for you.

Also golf has a very elitists image. I'm new to the game and was put off starting for years because of it. By holding these sessions you show off the other side which I've now discovered. Which is extremely welcoming & friendly.

That's how my wife got into it..... I asked her what she wants for Xmas "GPS Watch please" she said!! :D

D

Deleted member 18588

Having been a member of golf clubs since 1971 when I was 22 I have to say that attracting this particular age group has always been a problem.

Golf just doesn't cut it for people at that stage of their lives and quite honestly I can't imagine any initiatives will alter that.

The game has to appreciate it's position in the leisure market and to me that is as the preferred choice for those who are becoming more secure financially and starting to feel that they need a replacement for football, rugby, hockey or cricket in their lives.

Obviously there will always be exceptions but, in general, I do not see golf ever being appealing to the vast majority of 20 and 30 somethings.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Families are the way forward

Crown Golf do memberships that include 2 junior members in your yearly fee so you can play with the family

One of my ranges built a course and have a gold membership that is 2 adults and 2 kids unlimited use of the range.. the mini golf.. the course.. footgolf etc.. just gets people interested

My par 3 course include a junior for every paying adult

Spot on.
In the 1980's my club ran a very successful junior coaching system, 100+ attending in three graded sections on Saturday mornings.... roughly 25% of them girls.

The mums generally dropped off the kids and it was quickly spotted that quite a few thought we were quite a nice place and the staff and members actually talked to them.
We then set up Woman only sessions at times when working mums could attend [not of 3pm on a Tuesday;)]

Worked very well.

The recent Scotland v Samoa Rugby match offered two kids for a £1 each with each full paying adult.
Result a crowd of 67.000 instead of 30,000 and a great atmosphere that many of the kids would want to repeat.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club pro runs get into golf sessions. Group lessons, weekly, £10 a week. Either on the course in the afternoon, or local range one evening a week. Aimed at beginners. My Mrs decided to give it a go and is now really enjoying it. Golf lessons are generally very expensive. Especially if you only want to give it a go & see if it's for you.

Also golf has a very elitists image. I'm new to the game and was put off starting for years because of it. By holding these sessions you show off the other side which I've now discovered. Which is extremely welcoming & friendly.

This is one of the best ideas that I've read on this thread.

And just to add to it: how about offering families a 9 hole membership to start with. Young busy families may not want to take 4 hours plus out of their leisure time - so just 2 hours might be more interesting to them. Then if they really get in to it, upgrade to the full 18 when time and funds allow it.

D

Deleted member 18588

In my experience it isn't the recruitment of juniors that is the problem but rather the fact that so few of them remain within the game once they reach their late teens.

As juniors many find golf an acceptable way of being seen as "grown up " and the rapid progress that they tend to make adds to that feeling.

The slowing down of that progress coincides with a stage of their lives when there are many other calls upon their time and when they wish to broaden their experience.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my experience it isn't the recruitment of juniors that is the problem but rather the fact that so few of them remain within the game once they reach their late teens.

As juniors many find golf an acceptable way of being seen as "grown up " and the rapid progress that they tend to make adds to that feeling.

The slowing down of that progress coincides with a stage of their lives when there are many other calls upon their time and when they wish to broaden their experience.

Any expectation that they will remain permanently is the issue - the investment in them may take decades to deliver any return to those who invested.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I was a club owner I’d build a gym including a pool if possible and include in all memberships (raising the fees to cover)

In the winter keeps people coming down the club if they fair weather golfers

Might get people in that way aswell by starting gym only as they might use with a mate who’s a golfer and start by tagging along

D

Deleted member 18588

If I was a club owner I’d build a gym including a pool if possible and include in all memberships (raising the fees to cover)

In the winter keeps people coming down the club if they fair weather golfers

Might get people in that way aswell by starting gym only as they might use with a mate who’s a golfer and start by tagging along

Been tried in some places and appeared to make zero difference.

In any event I believe gym participation has itself tailed off.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The trouble with the 20's demographic is a lot tend to be into a lot of other activities where golf is competing for their time and money. Many tend to be fairly nomadic in any membership they have, going from best deal to best deal. My club has done it's own research and found for the time and effort invested and the fact many simply stop for the introductory offers and move on has led them to not focus to highly at this age group and prefers to focus on either the later twenties or the 30+ bracket where in general they are more settled in work and at home, have a degree of disposable income to invest in fees and may be looking to set membership roots down

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
TL:DR of it IMO is that you shouldn't target young players, you should target people who are interested and haven't got time to play enough to justify a full membership.

I really feel that this is something golf in general wants to solve (and i'm somewhat vested in this since I'm in my 20's and I'd quite like to see good numbers playing in the future).

It seems alot of clubs are targeting of age brackets with intro/reduced rates, and being honest it will feature part of my choice of club when I join. A few courses offer points based or "basic" membership, which has no trimmings and reduced green fees, I would wonder how big the uptake on those is but I feel they go part way there.

What I think needs to be offered are memberships that cater for busy people (not just younger people just people who are generally busy). For me this would be a membership that doesn't cover full green fees, but gives access to practice / comps / handicap in some way. I think this should be achievable without needing full members to be seen as subsidising the offer. (I know that i am going to be benefiting from full members if I took the reduced fees at a couple of local courses, but if its there...)

Regarding the poker/pool/etc I wouldn't rate it that highly as a plan.

Salty J

Hacker
Visit site
This is one of the best ideas that I've read on this thread.

And just to add to it: how about offering families a 9 hole membership to start with. Young busy families may not want to take 4 hours plus out of their leisure time - so just 2 hours might be more interesting to them. Then if they really get in to it, upgrade to the full 18 when time and funds allow it.

I'm now a member at this club. Pay £250 a year and £5 for 9 holes whenever I want to play. Think it's £8 for 18. Much more palatable compared to coughing up £1000+ as a beginner when you don't even know if the games for you. Optional upgrade to a full membership is always there & something I'll likely do next year.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm now a member at this club. Pay £250 a year and £5 for 9 holes whenever I want to play. Think it's £8 for 18. Much more palatable compared to coughing up £1000+ as a beginner when you don't even know if the games for you. Optional upgrade to a full membership is always there & something I'll likely do next year.

:thup:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Being in my last few years of my 20’s.
Lads my age are out chasing tail, too afraid of a mouthful off the other half, that sport where you kick a ball or Console gaming.

I’m lucky to have a missus with her own life and hobbies which saves my ears.

Personally it’s difficult to get my age group into golf because, well... women.

Joking aside it’s just time. And golf takes a lot of time and investment. Not only in time but money.

We should pay less than seniors. playing golf 5 times a week on your lovely final salary pension package, ripping the fairways up in boggy weather in your buggies!

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being in my last few years of my 20’s.
Lads my age are out chasing tail, too afraid of a mouthful off the other half, that sport where you kick a ball or Console gaming.

I’m lucky to have a missus with her own life and hobbies which saves my ears.

Personally it’s difficult to get my age group into golf because, well... women.

Joking aside it’s just time. And golf takes a lot of time and investment. Not only in time but money.

We should pay less than seniors. playing golf 5 times a week on your lovely final salary pension package, ripping the fairways up in boggy weather in your buggies!
Oh my, fuse lit there!