Getting off the tee.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's killing me. Ave had 3 lessons. First one after that I had never driven it so far, straight and with a good dispersion. Had second and third lesson to build on the first and its putgatory. Sheer rammel. Everything has a big fade / slice. If I hit a fairway I score. Every club up to the 3 wood I hit decent..in fact my 3 wood I hit well. The easy answer is to play off the tee with the 3 wood. But again I lose yardage.
Ave booked an hour's lesson with one of our pros. If he cannot sort it am having no more lessons

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Been in the same boat for a while mate. If my driver wasn't working it basically left me unable to get any distance off the tee and meant I was hitting hybrids and long irons into greens - obviously much harder to hit GIRs doing that so my scores suffered.

After a harrowing experience at a proper links course I ordered a driving iron to use when the driver wasn't working and its meant I can keep it in play and still knock it a reasonable distance (210 plus)

Unlike you I've found myself unable to hit a 3w as well, it basically meant I was using a 24d hybrid off the tee for 170-180 yards.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you 100% sure you are doing what you were taught? And practising this before going on the course? You need to be honest with yourself and if you can't say 100% you are doing what was taught then you know where the problem lies. Any changes will feel strange so it is very easy to revert to what feel 'normal' and blame the lessons - I have done this often in the past and it is hard to break the habit!

D

Deleted member 29109

How much practice have you put in after the lessons?

Going to the range bores me, but after my recent lessons I've made the effort to go and practice. If you don't, you are wasting your time and money on lessons.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Are you 100% sure you are doing what you were taught? And practising this before going on the course? You need to be honest with yourself and if you can't say 100% you are doing what was taught then you know where the problem lies. Any changes will feel strange so it is very easy to revert to what feel 'normal' and blame the lessons - I have done this often in the past and it is hard to break the habit!

Am 100% convinced am not doing what I was taught. I am obviously not hitting the ball straight. But I don’t know if I am swinging out to in. Whether I am not closing the club face. I cannot fathom it out. At my first lesson I was taught to have my arms straight back on the back swing and straight down on the down swing. It created coil and distance. It really was one of those light bulb moments. For a couple of rounds I was monster. I couldn’t wait to go back for the next two lessons. It was then the problems started. My head is swimming with swing thoughts. Nothing seems “ natural”.
The odd thing is that when I had the last lesson, my irons to three wood were excellent. But when I hit the driver it was shocking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had lessons to try and shallow my AOA but it was an absolute disaster.
I was all over the place for months.
Practice just made it worse.
Then I seen a pro who said “why are you trying to change?”
He watched me hit my normal drive and said “ nothing wrong with that”
So now I have gone back to my normal set up ball just left of centre get it at the bottom of my swing and 250yds straight and my driver is the best club in my bag.
The wedges are a different story.
Came away with , so much going through my head I forgot how to hit the ball properly.
So back to basics Tashy.
It’s a very frustrating game at times

Tashyboy

Visit site
How much practice have you put in after the lessons?

Going to the range bores me, but after my recent lessons I've made the effort to go and practice. If you don't, you are wasting your time and money on lessons.

The pro gave me exercises to practise at home to memorise the swing path. That’s what I feel I am doing but it’s obviously not what is happening. One thing he never mentioned was my grip so I assumed he was ok with that.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problems with lessons I find is that at the time, it works but after you leave the lesson environment you start to merge the good bits will the ingrained rubbish that You did before. Then you start to try and correct it yourself, makin git worse still.
Avlesson for me take quite a while to actually be beneficial in a way that becomes second nature.
Just remeber, the World will keep turning.

Mandofred

Visit site
When things are going crap, I fall back on these tidbits....

*Weight up the front foot, 60-40 and leave the weight there. Just rotate more around that front foot.
*Shorten backswing....considerably.
*Smooth the swing....no sudden change of effort/direction.
*Take backswing more behind body (making sure weight is more on the front foot...and in the heel).
*Swing like I want to hit it lower....gets me to hit through the ball a lot better.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When things are going crap, I fall back on these tidbits....

*Weight up the front foot, 60-40 and leave the weight there. Just rotate more around that front foot.
*Shorten backswing....considerably.
*Smooth the swing....no sudden change of effort/direction.
*Take backswing more behind body (making sure weight is more on the front foot...and in the heel).
*Swing like I want to hit it lower....gets me to hit through the ball a lot better.
Weight on front foot for the driver?? That doesn't sound right to me. :unsure:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If the rest of the bag is ok then it may be possible you are trying to hit the driver too hard.
Back off the power a bit and try the drill below. That will help with your dodgy swing path.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's killing me. Ave had 3 lessons. First one after that I had never driven it so far, straight and with a good dispersion. Had second and third lesson to build on the first and its putgatory. Sheer rammel. Everything has a big fade / slice....
Ave booked an hour's lesson with one of our pros. If he cannot sort it am having no more lessons
Could simply be a case of 'too much info/change'. So going back to the 'post Lesson 1' state might be all you need - for now. That said, that (reversing the changes from subsequent lessons) could be difficult. There's also the oft used statement that, for some changes, your results (could) get worse before they get better!
Btw. How many Pros are you having lessons with? Your post suggests at least 2. Why?

Tashyboy

Visit site
If the rest of the bag is ok then it may be possible you are trying to hit the driver too hard.
Back of the power a bit and try the drill below. That will help with your dodgy swing path.

That I will try, me lesson isnt til the end of August so Ave plenty of time to fix it. ?

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back of the power a bit and try the drill below. That will help with your dodgy swing path.

Do you have a follow-up video for how to walk onto the range to retrieve your headcover when you don't correct your swing path?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Impossible to diagnose here (fade / slice yes, but is it a push or a pull), but if I was a betting man I think what has happened is after the first lesson you already had a lot of good stuff in there and simple changes garnered good results; the subsequent lessons have provided additional info that has either tweaked something in your basic set up or has meant you're forgetting to do something in your basic set-up. You could try to 'reverse engineer' the lessons and layer by layer or go through the basic set-up (stance, grip, posture, alignment). My good drives eventually give way to pull hooks and after struggling for longer than I should, it's fixed by something very basic - last time it was stopping turning my body through (searching for more power ironically meant I was trying to do it with my arms); before that coming back inside too much; previously been grip, shoulder alignment etc. It's a strange game that even when doing something well we tend to want to tweak that to get even better, often, at least to me, our detriment.