Getting excited about scoring well in Winter...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if I played a links course maybe the difference would be marginal, but parkland, winter vs summer is night & day

In Scotland most courses are being protected due to lack of any growth and damage from frost as demonstrated by Clive the other day.

our place is much easier in winter at almost 600 yards shorter along with the greens being very receptive. only hole that isn't is our 7th with in summer is a 500 yards par 5 off the whites, which is played into the prevailing wind (a westerly) for some reason we play it 12 yards further forward as a par 4!!!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you find a nice day during winter with no wind and preferred lies, a golf course can play very easy indeed.

Its like throwing darts onto the greens at times.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
what is the normal CSS/SSS.

We are about that length in the summer but winter about 6000, and at that its quite easy, if it was the same as normal we would be RO every comp if we had any that is

Just checked a few random comp results. Summer is usually 71/72, Dec/Jan was normally 73-75.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It really depends on the course. My old course is a lot shorter in places and scoring is much lower, people also use mats so makes it even easier.

My new course isn't much easier at all. Still pretty long with no run. Greens are soft though so very receptive.

Then I have played two open comps over winter, both on links, scored 27 points on both. Now the weather was horrible, really really windy and really really cold. Ball was going nowhere and was just really difficult to play. One of them the CSS was +3 and believe this was because the wind died down and the rain disappeared in the afternoon. The other was reduction only.

So it really is dependent on the course and also the conditions on the day.

For me, winter is just about keeping the swing ticking over, work on some swing changes but really I just want to strike the ball well. I don't get too caught up in the scoring but if I hit the ball well I am happy. Scores will come if you strike the ball well.

I wouldn't read too much into scoring really well in the winter but if you are hitting the ball well and swing feels good then you should be happy.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't go out in the winter if only rough bobbly winter greens with bucket cups are being used. I really do not see the point as what is really being achieved, your better off going to the range and have some good practice.

But my club back in old blighty did not go onto temp greens often in the winter and the course didn't play much shorter either. SO even though you lost roll on the fairway and the wind could be a pain, the greens where so soft it was like playing lawn darts. So for some players the course became easier as they could actually get the ball to stop on the greens and get closer to the hole. So what happened was the better players really did not see any advantage compared to the mid handicappers that could now attack holes.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Just play your game and don't worry about others!

Well done to them - everyone has different handicaps, targets or achievements! Their par may be your birdie!

Its about time more people got excited about golf!

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The shorter course is often offset with zero roll, mud balls freezing temperatures and wind chilll when you can barely feel your pinkies, so I'd say it takes just as much skill anytime of the year to shoot a good score as our winter league tends to show where winning scores are similar all year round.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The shorter course is often offset with zero roll, mud balls freezing temperatures and wind chilll when you can barely feel your pinkies, so I'd say it takes just as much skill anytime of the year to shoot a good score as our winter league tends to show where winning scores are similar all year round.

its alright for you soft southerners with your warm temps down there.