Getting excited about scoring well in Winter...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't really relate to this since my course is practically the same. There's a temp first hole which is longer than the usual first hole, but it makes the second hole a lot shorter. And holes 3 to 18 are all exactly the same.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I play golf for fun. If I play well I am happy and enjoy it.
I dont care if its summer, winter or any other season to be honest.
The way some people go on you would think they are professionals.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Still play off the same white tees, to the same greens during winter as do all year round. So it is harder to score given the cold, wind and muddy lies.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter golf is painful. I wouldn’t get too excited about playing well or too down about playing badly. It counts for nothing

Don't agree with your sweeping statement at all.
If weather allows and the course is playable all year around why would winter golf be pointless.
Golf is played in all conditions and people enjoy the challenge it brings.
You could argue that summer golf is pointless with unfavourable bounces and golf balls rolling an extra 100 yards on baked ground making the course play much shorter.
I used to play at a club that had a 3 month break from comps which is ridiculous if the course is playable.
Why pay 12 months sub's to play 9 months.
Also the club a business and should be looking to attract players all year around for revenue and for keeping staff employed.
IMO of course.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I hate temp greens. Don't care if they are shorter, with a bucket hole. Trying to putt and chip well on temp greens is far too reliant on luck. I'd much prefer having a 20 yard further approach shot and some nice greens that are running true.

Also in winter you get no/little roll on your tee shots so even if the holes are shorter there's probably not that much difference in how long the holes are playing.

Then as others have mentioned you get muddy balls, poor lies etc.

Scoring in winter at my course is easier as the rough is short and so you can nearly always find your ball, but that won't be the same for every course and especially not for my old course where winter golf was much harder. Mid/late Spring was the best tine to score round there

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
^^^^^^^ This

Same for us. Occasionally the tee may move slightly, but its imo a harder test with the things you mention as opposed to a nice summers day

Still play off the same white tees, to the same greens during winter as do all year round. So it is harder to score given the cold, wind and muddy lies.

What sort of length are your courses and do these winter conditions have an effect on CSS if you are playing qual comps

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Also in winter you get no/little roll on your tee shots so even if the holes are shorter there's probably not that much difference in how long the holes are playing.

May be at your place but at mine I played one full iron shot on the front 9 at that was to a par 3 and 2 full shots on the back 9.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
May be at your place but at mine I played one full iron shot on the front 9 at that was to a par 3 and 2 full shots on the back 9.

My current course rarely uses temps so can't really use it as an example.

But my old course the temps were roughly 20 yards in front of the green. But you lost about 10-15 yards of roll as your drive just used to stop dead, even got back spin off a couple of long irons.

Then of course the greens were only 5-8 yards in diameter, so actually getting your approach anywhere near the hole was difficult, they don't act like greens and take crap bounces. The when you are putting you get all those infuriating bobbles that take your putt off line

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't agree with your sweeping statement at all.
If weather allows and the course is playable all year around why would winter golf be pointless.
Golf is played in all conditions and people enjoy the challenge it brings.
You could argue that summer golf is pointless with unfavourable bounces and golf balls rolling an extra 100 yards on baked ground making the course play much shorter.
I used to play at a club that had a 3 month break from comps which is ridiculous if the course is playable.
Why pay 12 months sub's to play 9 months.
Also the club a business and should be looking to attract players all year around for revenue and for keeping staff employed.
IMO of course.

not sure I said any of that, it's quite a leap you've made. it's painful relative to playing with the sun out, I still do it from a social point of view. We play winter league but no qualifiers from Nov to April. The course is still open, people are still employed :confused: but the dynamic of the club is different.

the context was, should importance be played on winter scoring. for me the answer is no, we have no qualifiers, so why would it ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
~6,600 yards par 72. CSS during winter usually goes up two or three shots over par.

what is the normal CSS/SSS.

We are about that length in the summer but winter about 6000, and at that its quite easy, if it was the same as normal we would be RO every comp if we had any that is

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I simply don't get this idea of the course being easier to play in winter? We are still on the greens and are still playing off the whites - admittedly its generally off the front of the whites rather than the back. But given that there is absolutely no roll-out on drives - your ball is limely to be within a couple of yards of where it first landed - the course is not playing any shorter than summer.

For me, if i get a good score, its a good score regardless of whether it's winter or summer.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What's clear from this topic is things are different from course to course and some do get excited about playing well at this time of year

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I simply don't get this idea of the course being easier to play in winter? We are still on the greens and are still playing off the whites - admittedly its generally off the front of the whites rather than the back. But given that there is absolutely no roll-out on drives - your ball is limely to be within a couple of yards of where it first landed - the course is not playing any shorter than summer.

For me, if i get a good score, its a good score regardless of whether it's winter or summer.

I reckon it's harder, mainly because vs the summer the greens are like putting on custard

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
not sure I said any of that, it's quite a leap you've made. it's painful relative to playing with the sun out, I still do it from a social point of view. We play winter league but no qualifiers from Nov to April. The course is still open, people are still employed :confused: but the dynamic of the club is different.

the context was, should importance be played on winter scoring. for me the answer is no, we have no qualifiers, so why would it ?

Maybe you should have posted this instead of saying winter golf is pointless hence me pointing out it was a sweeping statement, its pretty obvious not all golf clubs are the same.
No drama's

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's clear from this topic is things are different from course to course and some do get excited about playing well at this time of year

if I played a links course maybe the difference would be marginal, but parkland, winter vs summer is night & day

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe you should have posted this instead of saying winter golf is pointless hence me pointing out it was a sweeping statement, its pretty obvious not all golf clubs are the same.
No drama's
thought I said it was painful, it is.... but less painful than the alternatives, but thanks for allowing clarification