Getting excited about scoring well in Winter...

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Today a couple of our guys seemed to me getting affy over excited about a few pars on the trot and the odd birdie. Winter greens that are a drive and a chip to, sometimes even a long putt to, really, what's the point in that ?

Couple weeks back I had a run of 4 birdies on the trot and didn't bat an eye, these guys would probably have wanted a Sky Sports interview had it been them. It's all fine and well and good for confidence racking up a few pars, but c'mon guys, lets be realistic eh !!

D

Deleted member 15344

Can only play the course that’s in front of them and if people are enjoying themselves right now then where is the harm ?

It’s great when you have players that normally struggle get themselves into a run of good form and I normally see these players start the season really well and get some good early rounds under their belt.

And at times during the winter it could well be harder to score well - the greens don’t run as smooth , the fairways are a bit muddier , the roll isn’t as consistent- so it’s all relative.

Keep on celebrating and enjoying the game - it’s what makes it the game we all love and why despite games of poor form we keep going back

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
5 birdies and an eagle today but no one heard me blowing my own horn, full greens with a few winter tees but it is what it is winter golf it's just a knock with your mates nothing to get exited about, you just need to at the I Played Today Thread and you can see all the guys that want their backs patted for getting 30 odd points...

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My course is only 100 yards shorter in the winter and all the greens are the same

Actually harder to score better due to conditions...lot of muddy lies for chipping and mudballs!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
5 birdies and an eagle today but no one heard me blowing my own horn, full greens with a few winter tees but it is what it is winter golf it's just a knock with your mates nothing to get exited about, you just need to at the I Played Today Thread and you can see all the guys that want their backs patted for getting 30 odd points...
snap, except the Eagle, so can i have a pat on the back?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter golf is painful. I wouldn’t get too excited about playing well or too down about playing badly. It counts for nothing

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Winter golf, enjoy being out, keep the swing ticking over, don't worry about bad scores or get excited about good ones.

Absolutely, when I first came on here I slagged off winter golf, I now take it for what it is, but these guys today bigging themselves up for a run of pars.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Its good to hear of people playing good golf. 5 birdies and an eagle is worth adding to that thread.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I always say “it doesn’t count in winter”

I’m very disinterested in the “game” and just there to hit balls. But every Friday we have a match play round for money and glory.

That’s different.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good golf is good golf in any conditions. Somebodies run of pars in another one’s run of birdies. On the course I play occasionally, winter golf is harder than summer.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If your course is shortened and you're on temps then it is almost a waste of time.
We're only on temps in frost, so most of the time it's the full course, just as long as in summer but with no run.
If I can score nett par o better at the moment then I'm well pleased....

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
I play of 18 at the moment so I'm happy to get a few pars

I put a lot of time and effort into improving my golf & get frustrated with bad shots/holes & Im always chuffed with pars. I've never had an eagle but I celebrate the odd birdie

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We play off the yellows in winter which are 200 yards less than the whites. 6000 yards par 69 still a good test when there is not much run.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had 44pts today ,yes it was on winter greens but the satisfaction i take from that was i struck the ball well and the lessons I've had are starting to pay off ,the guys i play with no what I've went thru the past 6-7 years with my golf and can see I'm enjoying it, i don't need the trolls on here to give me crap about it.