Getting back into golf - older vs newer clubs?

deesta

Hacker
Visit site
Hi
I'm starting to get back into golf and will be looking to join a club in the new year, just hitting the range when I can to get some practice in 1st.
I've been away for over 10 years but still have all of my older kit so I'm wondering if there's any benefit in newer clubs vs my older clubs?
I was off around 16 and I think, playing regularly I would like to be able to get down to low double figures.
I'm really happy with my MP32 irons, CG15 wedges and Kia Ma putter but my driver, 3W and rescue are all older and technology has moved on quite a lot with woods.
Would I see any gains, mainly consistency, by replacing these with newer clubs?

Driver is a TM R7 Ltd 9.5°
3 Wood is a Titleist 909F3 15°
Rescue is a TM Burner 3 19°

Thanks
Steve

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of that kit will do you fine.

The only exception will probably be the driver.

Modern drivers are much better than even the best from 10+ years ago. One of the biggest features on a lot of clubs is the ability to try different shafts very easily, change lofts and face angles. Top end manufacturers have very much adopted carbon crowns as standard allowing weight to be redistributed.

Similar technology is available in some 3 woods and rescues.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi
I'm starting to get back into golf and will be looking to join a club in the new year, just hitting the range when I can to get some practice in 1st.
I've been away for over 10 years but still have all of my older kit so I'm wondering if there's any benefit in newer clubs vs my older clubs?
I was off around 16 and I think, playing regularly I would like to be able to get down to low double figures.
I'm really happy with my MP32 irons, CG15 wedges and Kia Ma putter but my driver, 3W and rescue are all older and technology has moved on quite a lot with woods.
Would I see any gains, mainly consistency, by replacing these with newer clubs?

Driver is a TM R7 Ltd 9.5°
3 Wood is a Titleist 909F3 15°
Rescue is a TM Burner 3 19°

Thanks
Steve
i've a mate still using the R7, and he hits that further than most guys using newer drivers we play with

if you have the right shafts in and hit the clubs well then i would say stick with what you have

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'd say there is no rush to change anything. You'll get tuned back in as you play more and then you'll now...

I've had a similar experience with my occasional return to fishing after a 30 year gap... there's a whole load of expensive new stuff that I could buy but have no need for. The odd new item has been bought, but I was fishing recently with some Mitchell reels from the late 1970s I bought with the proceeds of my paper round!! (am I the @Crow of fishing?? :) )

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Most of that kit will do you fine.

The only exception will probably be the driver.

Modern drivers are much better than even the best from 10+ years ago. One of the biggest features on a lot of clubs is the ability to try different shafts very easily, change lofts and face angles. Top end manufacturers have very much adopted carbon crowns as standard allowing weight to be redistributed.

Similar technology is available in some 3 woods and rescues.
I totally agree that thge only real club you need to address is the Driver! And even so, you don't need to get the absolute latest! Improvements in drivers has only been marginal over the last 2 or 3 years. But adjustability was certainly a big step forward, so make sure that any 'investment' includes a suitable amount of that! Getting 'the right' shaft is also important imo - even simply/(entirely?) from a confidence/feel pov!
Those irons will still serve you well. Though you might find that (because modern lofts have been frigged) you are hitting a longer club than those with newer equipment!
FWs are very 'personal' and if you get on with your old/current one, there's no reason to change it - and every reason to keep it! Likewise Putters!!
TM Rescue Mid is THE classic hybrid imo. I've still got one of them (with a heavy over-stiff (for me, these days and probably even in 'my prime') shaft that is a joy to re-acquaint myself with occasionally. I've even had a conversation (actually 2!) with the guy who made them so popular!