Generating Power

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was watching sometihing posted on FB last night, the best hole in ones at the US open ,I think, anyhoo, one was by Phil M. 170 odd yards 8 iron. It was the slowest, laziest swing. Bop. On the green and in. How? 170 yards with an 8 iron with a slow swing, and it was VERY slow.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember reading something about the club head speed of Ernie Els. Lovely smooth, slow looking swing but the speed was still rapid. Bob may well explain the technicalities but it does seem strange. Almost an optical illusion.(Patrick beat me to it 😁)

Does it give us hope? I think so. False hope perhaps but more hope than being able to power it like Brooks or Rory.

D

Deleted member 1147

I was watching sometihing posted on FB last night, the best hole in ones at the US open ,I think, anyhoo, one was by Phil M. 170 odd yards 8 iron. It was the slowest, laziest swing. Bop. On the green and in. How? 170 yards with an 8 iron with a slow swing, and it was VERY slow.
He actually hit it very hard and fast, but the film you saw was in slo-mo ;)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think for these older guys, who aren't built like Brooks or Tiger, it was building up torque on the backswing and then lag on the downswing.

Not really sure how you get lag, or what a coach would say if I said to him teach me how to bomb it 300+.

D

Deleted member 21258

It helps if you are over 6ft tall and built large! (aka Els and quite a number of the pros etc) to get that slow looking lazy swing. (+ low launch delofted club face for max compression)

All the pros are really going after the ball, the speed and release of the club is massive, its the lack of moving parts that makes it look smooth. They are likely to be quicker than you at all parts of the downswing(& probably backswing), not just release, if you look at the acceleration maps out there on the internet for pros and for amateurs they confirm that.

When I look at my swing, it looks soooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwwwww, feels fast to me but at 100mph it is slow compared to them and it looks it.......

D

Deleted member 1147

The swings aren't slow, they are hitting it very fast, but with control. They are swinging at the ball rather than hitting at it.

Too many am's start hitting hard from the top of the down swing.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The clip was from a while ago. Phil was quite slight then.

Is the power generated in the last bit? Sort of 30cm before the ball and with the wrists maybe? Sort of flicking at it?

D

Deleted member 1147

The clip was from a while ago. Phil was quite slight then.

Is the power generated in the last bit? Sort of 30cm before the ball and with the wrists maybe? Sort of flicking at it?

NO!

You definitely don't want to flick at the ball!

The pro's all hit their irons with around 5 or 6 degrees of lag at impact, ie the hands are ahead of the ball at impact (effectively de-lofting the club)

D

Deleted member 21258

Phil Michelson is about 6ft 3inchs, so is not small ;), it makes generating speed a lot easier due to longer levers.

Here is an interesting article about speed:-

https://rebelliongolf.com/arm-speed-and-club-head-speed/

if it interests you, there is masses on the internet about generating speed on the internet, I find it really interesting to listen/read about, whether you can do it will depend on your height, whether you are a fast swinger, fit, try overspeed training that helps alot.

Be Better golf on youtube has loads of stuff about it over a number of years(think I have watched them all:D)

https://www.youtube.com/user/bdevore76/videos?disable_polymer=1

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Big Easy's swing may look slow, but it isn't - it's smooth! And nudging 115mph (Driver).

I've stood close to him a number of times when he has hit Rescua or irons - off the deck. You can feel the ground shudder! Same with other Tour Pros I've been near to when the've hit irons.

Mickelson is another who hits it longer than you would expect from watching - again, a smooth tempo, but definitely not slow!

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's technique as well, they use the ground and generate enormous power just through getting the sequence right from the top by starting at the bottom

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
People confuse slow, smooth and perceived effort. Phil and Ernies (to just pick 2) swings have no wasted motion, and good sequencing so they appear effortless and slow, when in fact Phil and Ernie are swinging almost as hard as they can, and the swings are very fast.

For another example of this effect, compare top track sprinters with average people running. Top track sprinters also appear to be putting in very little effort, but it's only because none is wasted that it looks this way.

Speed requires a lot of power, but power alone does not guarantee speed as it can be wasted.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
while at my fitting on Saturday Mrs Dando videoed my driver swing so I had a reference as to what I needed to achieve and looking back at it I cant believe the average club head speed was 114mph

D

Deleted Member 1156

Timing, weight transfer, possibly also a bit of altitude and wind behind.

I've hit those sort of distances myself with short irons when the conditions have been right and I'm not a big hitter by any means.

User20204

Visit site
Timing, weight transfer, possibly also a bit of altitude and wind behind.

I've hit those sort of distances myself with short irons when the conditions have been right

Indeed, we have a par 5 that can be driver/3 wood/mid iron however last year with the weather being so good I went driver 9 iron past the pin, conditions can be everything.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played at Foxhills on Tuesday and the 18th on the Longcross course is a 520 yard par 5, slightly uphill.
My drive left me about 260 yds to the green.
I was never getting there so decided to hit a lazy 5 iron to give me around 100 yds to go.
I hit it so well, because I was relaxed on the stress free shot, that it went 200yds, slightly uphill with almost no roll out!
I think it was because I was so relaxed, because my target area was huge, that everything just came together at the right time and in the right way.
It didn't even feel like it was me that was swinging the club!
I think the difference is that pro golfers do this on almost every shot ................................ we don't!