Generating Power

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Indeed, we have a par 5 that can be driver/3 wood/mid iron however last year with the weather being so good I went driver 9 iron past the pin, conditions can be everything.

ive done that once on our 18th, trouble was i was trying to lay up out the rough and thinned a 9 iron about 200 yards, frozen fairway, couldn't feel my fingers for about 3 days:(

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Strike has to play a big part of it too. Professionals are so good at hitting the ball right out of the sweet spot.
I managed to do this once with my first set of blades and overshot a green by 20 feet. That's when I realised I'd never hit a decent golf shot and understand that I've never hit one since...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swing width gives the clubhead the maximum distance to travel in the time of the downswing.
The longer the clubhead gets left behind on the downswing the further it has to travel in the least time....to the faster it will be travelling at impact.

These simple facts are why, within the normal bounds of stroke making, you do not have to move your body, shoulders, arms or even hands particicularily fast to generate pretty high levels of clubhead speed.

This is then converted into ball speed by the quality of strike.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In my lessons I have been encouraged to fully rotate my shoulders on the backswing and that is where the power is generated.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
If you have a face on video of yourself, try and pause the downswing when your arms are parallel to the ground and see where your shaft is pointing.
It will probably be pointing about 10-11 o'clock.
Unlike Rory.........

Absolutely going to try this next time I'm at the range with a mate. How does one go about getting anywhere near that technique? I'm not sure I can even picture how I'd get my wrists to do that slowly!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a friend who hits an 8 iron 170 yrds no problem also been with him when he hit his 7 iron up hill 200 yrds into the green. Never seems forced just swings it easy, if he had a short game he'd be dangerous.