Gary Woodland's Putting

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saw this incredible stat about Gary Woodland yesterday and thought it was worth sharing:

Woodland_zpsccf0b970.png

The last 2 years, he's not missed a putt inside 3-feet. That's just incredible putting. You go to the putting green and try and sink 20 in a row, that's hard enough. Phil famously does a drill where he sinks 100 3-footers in a row at the end of practice. However, sinking 1641 in a row, in competition, is just ludicrously good. It's another of those stats that show you just how good the Pro's are.

A few other good Pro stats from this season:

- Rory McIlroy's average driving distance during the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational was 334.8 yards
- Jim Furyk's scrambling average for the season was 69.33%
- David Toms hit 36 consecutive fairways
- Brian Stuard went 395 holes without a 3-putt

And to make you feel a bit better about your game:

- There were 4 recorded six-putts at tournaments this year. They came from Graham De Laet, David Gossett, Mark Wilson and Jeff Maggert
- Finally, Jon Daly had the highest score on a single hole on Tour this year, recoring a 12 at the Valspar Championship

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Never thought of him as a great putter, and he is 91st on this years US putting rankings. I imagine when he three putts he must knock the first one outside three feet.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just goes to show that winning isn't all about stats.

One of the stats I like to remember is driving accuracy on the PGA Tour, which this year is an average of 61.3%. It's a nice stat because I've often played with people who are frustrated at themselves for missing "so many fairways" when in actuality they're pretty much equal with the tour pros. Obviously there are other issues at play but it's a nice stat for giving people a little boost when they're feeling down and frustrated.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting figures, these. Always thought he was poor on the greens under pressure (you don't earn a nice living on tour being bad all the time) so maybe it's the 10 footers he doesn't hole enough?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, he must really struggle outside of 3-foot, because to have these sort of stats inside 3-foot, and to be ranked so low on the putting rankings is quite bizarre.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The overall putting rankings are based on putts per round as opposed to percentage of made putts from certain distances. Rory is top because he has a lot of single putts.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
Woodland is a quality player. His putting weakness is from 5 to 10 feet where he ranks at 168. When you back him and watch his rounds on the PGA Tour Shot Tracker you will soon understand the amount of birdie / par putts he misses. However on the right course, on the right day he's a winner and naturally qualified for the Tour Championship in September.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always considered him a great driver of the golf ball. incredibly long if I am not mistaken. Seemingly then, if he can sort out his putting outside 3 feet and maybe improve his GIR (I haven't looked at his stats ) he could be one to watch. amazing stat!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to admire the stat. I can miss from inside a foot with consummate ease. I've tried to work hard on the 3-6 foot range this season but still miss the 3 foot ones. GIR seem to be the bigger issue though surely

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say that they do play on just about perfect greens on the USPGA tour. Inside three feet they tend to just hit it firmly in the middle. Love to see them putt on our greens when frozen in the winter.:mad: