Gapping session revealed problems with Nike Metals.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what's the normal overall shot results with flight pattern, curvature with 5 metal, hybrid & 4i?

your ball speed is dependent on a bunch of things, but largely CHS & SF. (depends how far from center the toe strike is)

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
what's the normal overall shot results with flight pattern, curvature with 5 metal, hybrid & 4i?

My flight with the 5 wood, is always a draw. It starts low, gets up there and then seems to just fall out of the sky. I like the flight as it stops on greens. But I wish it carried further.

4 iron is a high arcing flight, that again gets up there and lands softly. It will normally bounce once then check into a green. I hit it neutral so it can go left or right, but never by much.

21 hybrid. Is much the same as the 5 wood. except it won't bite into greens, and doesn't really land softly enough. Again it is normally a draw, but if i'm hitting it bad it can really turn into a hook.

What is the side angle figure the gc2 gives me?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My flight with the 5 wood, is always a draw. It starts low, gets up there and then seems to just fall out of the sky. I like the flight as it stops on greens. But I wish it carried further.

4 iron is a high arcing flight, that again gets up there and lands softly. It will normally bounce once then check into a green. I hit it neutral so it can go left or right, but never by much.

21 hybrid. Is much the same as the 5 wood. except it won't bite into greens, and doesn't really land softly enough. Again it is normally a draw, but if i'm hitting it bad it can really turn into a hook.

What is the side angle figure the gc2 gives me?

the toe strike given flight description looks like it will be hurting you some, although the toe actually is traveling in mph little ways faster than the 'sweet spot' & a good deal faster than the heel through impact. the part of a toe strike that gives you a decent strike is only a very small ways higher & nearer the toe than the sweet spot, only talking around approx 1/4".
to near the toe & although you get the gear effect so right to left flight it will come out a little ways dead compared to a centered strike.

the side angle is how much left or right the balls horizontal axis is tilted, no such thing as sidespin as such. think of it more like a planes wing as it banks/tilts to turn left or right.
strike bang, square face angle/neutral swing path so strike on the money puts only backspin on the ball so balls axis stays horizontal ball goes straight. face angle not square, path some ways either way off 0º will tilt the balls axis (it's internal 'plane wing') so L to R or R to L, bigger the difference in degrees face angle to path the bigger the curvature.

SF or efficiency no (as labelled with GC2 HMT) is just the balls speed divided by the Club Head Speed.

so say with a 5metal a SS of 88mph will give you a ball speed of 128mph so SF number of 1.47 - (so real efficient for a 5metal) LA approx 12º - would give a carry distance (not total) of approx 185/188 yds.

would still say the best ways for you to probably maximize distance is through strike. the first key to distance for anyone is a 'centered' strike for sure.

Last edited: