Help with gapping ?

Skytot

Visit site
Could anyone advise me please. My longest iron is Mizuno JPX 923 HM 5 iron at 22 degs..I have a 5 wood @ 17.5 degs and 7 wood @ 20.5 degs..
Should I alter the loft on both woods minus 1.5degs, example,
5 W 16degs
7 W 19degs
5 i 22degs.
I’m thinking this would be a better gapping ? Or leave them at factory setting?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although loft plays a large part it's the actual carry distance of each that you need to discover.
You may hit 2 of those clubs more or less the same distance even though the lofts are "gapped"
Loft gap is a decent guide but it's far from infallible
Get on a launch monitor....it's the only way really.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What are the distances for those clubs and what are you looking for?

I’ve got a 21 degree 7 wood and Frankeniron thats stamped 3 but bent to 18 degrees and on the end of a 1 iron shaft.

7 wood launches to the moon and carries about 240

The iron barely goes above 40ft carries 230 but rolls and rolls

Skytot

Visit site
5 wood carry was 185 yards & 5 iron was 165 carry . Not done 7 wood yet as I’ve only just bought it .
As people above as said think I need to book a session in the studio and get some distance data.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
pick whatever setting you hit best. All being equal, I’d set them up to tackle distances you are more often faced with. I’ve however knocked a 3 wood down in the past and couldn’t hit it at all.

Now I’ve a 4 iron and 5H in the bag that are similar distance but give me very different shot options. It’s meant a sacrifice of a 3h and leaves a bit of a gap between those and my 16.5° HL 3w but when I’m that far back I just don’t think I’m consistently hitting anything to a definitive distance if I’m being honest with myself And I’m really looking for improved forgiveness.

personally I’m trying to improve and strength and swing speed to get further off the tee and turn that second shot from a 3w-6i to a 5i-9i

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Impossible to say.
It's not just the club, but the quality of the strike & how consistently you can repeat that quality.
The woods will go higher & won't carry as far.
I go out on the course when it's quiet to figure out gapping.
My 5 iron goes 165
My 4 iron goes 175
My 5 hybrid goes 180
My 7 wood goes 175

Just depends on how I'm striking the ball, how tight the course is & the wind / conditions.
I'm more accurate with irons & hybrids than woods.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
5 wood carry was 185 yards & 5 iron was 165 carry . Not done 7 wood yet as I’ve only just bought it .
As people above as said think I need to book a session in the studio and get some distance data.
Hopefully it goes 175 then, and you're laughing! As others have said, no point changing the lofts until you know how far you hit it with the existing lofts. 20.5 might be fine as it is, because even though it's only 1.5 stronger than the 5 iron, there are other factors that add distance such as a longer shaft, and lighter shaft for more clubhead speed.

Other factors as well such as flight. I have a 23 hybrid and 24 six iron, but the hybrid launches much higher with more carry whereas the six iron is lower and relies on more roll.