New Member has a question.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

I am a Brit who now lives in the USA. Sadly competitive club golf in the USA is not very prevalent but I have a 12 handicap and can shoot 80-85 on a 6000-6400 yard course with no problems.

Like many I have found a lofted Driver a great help. Gone up to 14 degrees. My clubhead speed is about 88mph with a Driver with a drive on average going 220. My 6 Iron clubhead speed is about 71-74mph and I hit it 150-155. Most of my shots are a low draw.

Being a short hitter, unless I hit an exceptional drive, I usually play any par 4 over 400 yards as a par 5. For example: Driver, 6 Iron to a sensible location to leave a simple short pitch.

This has worked well at keeping double bogies off my card.

Aside from the Driver the longest club I carry is a 22 degree Hybrid that I can hit off the deck nicely.

I have never hit fairway woods very well but I would like to carry one longer club, I have tried many 18-19 degree Hybrids and can hit them well off a tee but still struggle to really get them airborne. Same with 5 woods.

Do you guys think trying maybe a 21 degree Wood, a 7 wood I guess with a longer shaft than my 22 degree hybrid would be worth a try (in accompaniment with a couple of lessons on how to hit it!) or is there another option out there as I am concerned the two clubs may be similar in distance?

Thanks,

craigstardis1976

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly welcome to the madhouse!
Being a fellow short hitter there are some options out there, from experience a 21 degree wood will go slightly further than a 22 degree hybrid but not much.
Play what your comfortable with,don't put anything in the bag that will cost you shots.
I'd get a lesson on hitting fairway woods, with a lowish swing speed you'll get more out of a 5 wood than a 3 wood. (I carry a 3 wood as I have a ridiculously high ball flight)
Another option is the new Mizuno fli hi type irons, I know Mizuno do them and the Callaway apex ut is very easy to get airborne and come in lower lofts.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I experiment a lot and have found that the loft & construction of a club has a lot more effect on how easy it is to hit compared with the length. I can hit a "game improvement" type of 3 iron, made to fly high, which is 1½" longer than standard, perfectly well but if I tried a standard blade type 3 iron with less loft I probably wouldn't get it airborne. My advice would be to find the lowest loft you can handle & then lengthen the club as much as you can without making it too heavy. Remember, as you lengthen the club, the shaft will become a little more flexible & this will make the ball launch higher so you may get away with an 18° or 19°. Worth a try, anyway.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome along enjoy.
If you are considering lessons maybe try that 1st before investing in a fairway? Or maybe get an adjustable 7 wood so when you have built up some confidence you can adjust the loft down to eek out a few more yards. Good luck.