Gap wedges

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've only got 2 wedges and I have more than enough options thank you.
I've lost count of the times I've seen someone carrying 4 wedges and cant hit any of them.
3, I understand as the modern PW is more like an old 9 so GW and SW is plenty.

Just because they cant hit them doesnt mean they have done wrong by having 4
they just gotta get better with there wedges and they will have a better game

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just because they cant hit them doesnt mean they have done wrong by having 4
they just gotta get better with there wedges and they will have a better game

If they have only 2 less to learn. Learn to feel the club then you will know what to do. If they have 4 and always play a full shot. When are they going to learn what to do on the inbetween distances. Always find questions on here about that. Start with 2 learn how to use them for all lenght shots. Then by all means add another if you really need it. But 4 not needed.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i dont understand people learning the d.plez method. surely every short game shot must have a certain amount of feel involved. 1/4, 1/2,3/4, full bull is just that. see it, choose wedge for the desired height/ distance and feel it!

trying to play quarter shots on demand is alot harder than commiting with 4 wedges.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've only got 2 wedges and I have more than enough options thank you.
I've lost count of the times I've seen someone carrying 4 wedges and cant hit any of them.
3, I understand as the modern PW is more like an old 9 so GW and SW is plenty.

Bob, I know you feel quite strongly about the too many wedges argument, however, if I have 3-4 degree gaps in my irons why should I then go up to 5, 6 or even 7 degree gaps in my wedges (which is what would happen if I carried fewer wedges). Surely Im better off having the gaps closer in the 80-130 yard range as that is where I am after the tee shot on most par 4s

If you only advocate 2 wedges, do you believe people should only carry 4 other irons too?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said, I dont mind 3 wedges.
If you add a 4th however, you have to lose a long iron/5 wood/hybrid to make the 14 clubs.
Now, if your 3 iron/hybrid wont reach, you then have to choke down /swing easy/ cut in a 3 wood which is no picnic for even the best golfers.
On the other hand, if you only have 3 wedges, it's a lot easier to manufacture a shot using one of them (given some practice).
So, I find it much easier to vary my distances with the wedges than I would trying to knock off 20-30 yards off my 3 wood.
Just the way i play I guess.
I have no problem with people who want to beef up the short end of the bag, only dont buy another wedge to hide your lack of ability to play the chips/pitches / bunker shots.
Basically, what would you rather hit, a 3/4 GW or a 3/4 3 wood.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to agree with Bob. Mind you that is probably coloured by the fact, that when I started Way back in the late 50's early 60's. You did not have all this choice. (Being lefthanded not much choice of clubs either). So you had to learn how to use the wedges. It also has the advantages that you can do it with all the irons in the bag. Try practising a few lob shots over a bunker on to the green with a 5 iron. Good fun and very satisfying when it works.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
personally i find it easy enough to knock 10 or 15 yards off either my 3 wood or hybrid just by going down the grip a touch. just prefer to have smaller gaps with my wedges, partly due to being a relatively poor wedge player (relative to handicap im definitely poor). its an area i am working hard on, but ultimately i have too much hit with the hands through impact which makes distance control and consistency harder than it should be. I guess the other part to it is I dont mind missing 10 yds short or long with a 3 wood approach invariably - if I do that with a wedge in hand then im seething!

If i could self design the gaps in my bag, id definitely have a degree bigger gap on the lofts on the irons from 3-7 iron, would then enable me to cover every base lol

S

Snelly

If you add a 4th however, you have to lose a long iron/5 wood/hybrid to make the 14 clubs.
Now, if your 3 iron/hybrid wont reach, you then have to choke down /swing easy/ cut in a 3 wood which is no picnic for even the best golfers.
On the other hand, if you only have 3 wedges, it's a lot easier to manufacture a shot using one of them (given some practice).
So, I find it much easier to vary my distances with the wedges than I would trying to knock off 20-30 yards off my 3 wood.
I have no problem with people who want to beef up the short end of the bag, only dont buy another wedge to hide your lack of ability to play the chips/pitches / bunker shots.

Well said Bob.

Like all my contemporaries at my club in the early 80's, I grew up with a PW and a SW that were the same as the rest of my clubs and we all regularly shot below par with them in the bag. No-one needs 4 wedges. I get the argument about lofts and full swings etc but I don't agree with it. Over-complication that only benefits the companies that flog you the extra ones at £90 a pop.

My personal opinion is that if you think you need 4 wedges then you have fallen victim to the marketing machines in golf that convince you that this is the case. It just isn't.

That is not to say that I would say doing this is wrong. We live in a free country and we can do what we want to do! What I do contest though is that there is a "need" for 4 wedges. It is just nonsense.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well said Bob.

Like all my contemporaries at my club in the early 80's, I grew up with a PW and a SW that were the same as the rest of my clubs and we all regularly shot below par with them in the bag. No-one needs 4 wedges. I get the argument about lofts and full swings etc but I don't agree with it. Over-complication that only benefits the companies that flog you the extra ones at £90 a pop.

My personal opinion is that if you think you need 4 wedges then you have fallen victim to the marketing machines in golf that convince you that this is the case. It just isn't.

That is not to say that I would say doing this is wrong. We live in a free country and we can do what we want to do! What I do contest though is that there is a "need" for 4 wedges. It is just nonsense.

If I carry just a PW and SW then I would have a carry gap of approx 25 yards, way bigger than any other gap in my irons, why would I want that gap at the distance Im most likely to be left with?

Thats like saying you dont need 9 irons Snelly, we could all get it round with 3 or 4 clubs, but surely its about making the game as easy as possible with how you fill your bag up?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

the problem with this argument is that it assumes a degree of capability all round that simply doesn't exist for the majority of golfers.

purely playing devils advocate, I could suggest that giving the player clubs that they might be capable of playing consistently to deliver different results that matter would be better than a selection of 3w, 5w, 3H and 4I at the other end all of which could go anywhere except the same place/distance twice in a row!

completely agree that players should set out to be comfortable with the concept of other than an automated full swing with each club - but from what I see with 4 clubs and a putter comps they have that sorted fine already !!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well said Bob.

In the same way that you will have grown up without 3, 4 or even 5 piece balls, graphite shafted drivers, super lightweight but super strong titanium faces with large CoR, Hybrids.
For your argument, anyone that has bought any of these to improve their game or make their playing experience as enjoyable as possible have fallen in to the manufacturers marketing machine.
Golf is a game played differently by all, even the pro's, and everyone will at some point have bought something that their game didn't "need" but they wanted, they like and makes them feel better.
Personally I change between the number of wedges I carry depending on the course, my stock set is a 47* PW replacement and a 52*/56* combination. I sometimes drop my 4i and carry a 60*... Different horses for different courses - so to speak.

S

Snelly

If I carry just a PW and SW then I would have a carry gap of approx 25 yards, way bigger than any other gap in my irons, why would I want that gap at the distance Im most likely to be left with?

Thats like saying you dont need 9 irons Snelly, we could all get it round with 3 or 4 clubs, but surely its about making the game as easy as possible with how you fill your bag up?

I think you make a good point. The next logical question I would ask then is if you are right, then surely you need more clubs? Don't hit a gentle 6 or a firm 7, pull out your custom tweaked 6.5 iron and make your normal swing.

I am being flippant but I am trying to highlight the point that golf isn't a game of precision. There are too many variables of lie condition, lie angle, wind, elevation etc for it to be precise. That is why I would argue that when you have a wedge in your hand, it is more about feel rather than a precise strike with a given loft. I know that some people find this very hard to get a sense of though.

More than one way to skin a cat and all that......

S

Snelly

In the same way that you will have grown up without 3, 4 or even 5 piece balls, graphite shafted drivers, super lightweight but super strong titanium faces with large CoR, Hybrids.
For your argument, anyone that has bought any of these to improve their game or make their playing experience as enjoyable as possible have fallen in to the manufacturers marketing machine.
Golf is a game played differently by all, even the pro's, and everyone will at some point have bought something that their game didn't "need" but they wanted, they like and makes them feel better.
Personally I change between the number of wedges I carry depending on the course, my stock set is a 47* PW replacement and a 52*/56* combination. I sometimes drop my 4i and carry a 60*... Different horses for different courses - so to speak.

I think I agree with you. The point I am making is in response to the posters who insinuate that 4 wedges is the way to go and represents progress - I would say that this is not true. In fact it is a backward step, removing the feel for intuitive distance control.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am being flippant but I am trying to highlight the point that golf isn't a game of precision. There are too many variables of lie condition, lie angle, wind, elevation etc for it to be precise. That is why I would argue that when you have a wedge in your hand, it is more about feel rather than a precise strike with a given loft. I know that some people find this very hard to get a sense of though.

If you can't deal conciously with the variables how can a sense of feel help you? In fact as you move away from landing on the green, and in a predictable manner with regard to the balls reaction on landing, you introduce more variables!

Doesn't make sense as an argument.

Equally your 6.5 iron doesn't either, flippant or otherwise.

Whlst I agree there is more than one way to skin a cat, there are definitely better ways and worse; in some cases the differences will be subjective but most will be objective.

Now, I am not suggesting for one minute that rising, and overcoming, challenges on a golf course isn't one of the more rewarding elements of the game - I believe it is. However that doesn't change the fact that if I need to get a ball close to pin 90yds away on any normal inland golf course I am not going to use a 6 iron - unless of course the overhanging tree 10yds in front, fluffy lie in the semi and complete lack of hazards across the front dictate this to be the percentage shot!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
This could go on for ever. Guess its folks preferences, in the end. I find 2 wedges enough. May have to put a GW in as the burner PW is a 9 iron. Oh and Greig on the Balls. The small ball that was in use before the American ball became the norm. Was a 3 piece ball. A soft center of latex, then elastic banding, followed by a balata cover. The one piece&2 piece balls that followed were a backward step.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me:

PW = 100 yards
52 GW = 85 yards
58 SW - 60 yards

Nice even gap in yardages based on a 3/4 swing as I never hit my wedges full out. If I'm in between, I'll grip down, swing shorter or swing slower to vary the distance. It is something that just needs a little time and dedication to get right. Its an area I've neglected and plan to work on tomorrow as I'm not hitting as close as I should

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I took a 58 to woodhall (well I bought it off RickG when I got there actually) as knew I needed it in some of the bunkers... still didnt get out of 1 of them. I dont take it to my home course and have my 3 iron in the bag instead!!! (yes I can hit it)

the 3 iron is going to be swapped for another hybrid soon though so I will chop and change depending on course/conditions :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

how many times a round would someone have to play a 3/4 3wood? once, twice at most, if at all. id rather have my wedge set up to allow me to make the best and easiest shot choice on alot more approaches per round.

S

Snelly

how many times a round would someone have to play a 3/4 3wood? once, twice at most, if at all. id rather have my wedge set up to allow me to make the best and easiest shot choice on alot more approaches per round.

I think you missed Bob's point.

S

Snelly

If you can't deal conciously with the variables how can a sense of feel help you? In fact as you move away from landing on the green, and in a predictable manner with regard to the balls reaction on landing, you introduce more variables!

Doesn't make sense as an argument.

Equally your 6.5 iron doesn't either, flippant or otherwise.

Whlst I agree there is more than one way to skin a cat, there are definitely better ways and worse; in some cases the differences will be subjective but most will be objective.

Now, I am not suggesting for one minute that rising, and overcoming, challenges on a golf course isn't one of the more rewarding elements of the game - I believe it is. However that doesn't change the fact that if I need to get a ball close to pin 90yds away on any normal inland golf course I am not going to use a 6 iron - unless of course the overhanging tree 10yds in front, fluffy lie in the semi and complete lack of hazards across the front dictate this to be the percentage shot!

Honestly, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.