Gap wedges

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
As has been said, it's Horses for Courses..you pick what feels best for you.

I have - officially - 4 wedges. My PW is 45* and is really a 9 iron and to be honest I use it as such, I don't generally chip or pitch with it.

Anyway, I have a 3 wood, a 5 wood and a 24* MP Fli-Hi before I get to my irons.
I could get another club in there, maybe one that hits it around 200-210.
But the way I look at is - How often am I going to hit the green from more than 200 yards?
I have a decent long-game, I'm not going to hit the green many times out of 10 from in excess of 200 yards, either by taking a little off my 3 or 5 wood or forcing the 24....
So the likelyhood is, if I'm going at the green from 200+, that I'm going to be chipping. With my 3 "proper" wedges I have a club that will, with a bit of luck, get me to the flag regardless of how the ball is lying.
A 50* to chip'n'run, a 54 with high bounce should the ball be in a bunker or deep grass and a 58 for getting the ball up and over. Add into that the rest of the irons that can be used should the need arise and I have a club for almost any situation.
I know how the ball is going to react with each club so I choose the one that will help me play the shot I want.
I'd rather have more short clubs than long for the reason specified above.

"War and peace", it's a good read.

I enjoyed this post, makes a lot of sense.

I don't carry the wedge from my set specifically to avoid the PW = 9i conundrum.
and the fact it's a proper shovel.... :(

a.t.m. I'm using 3 wedges with 3 shots for each making 9 distances.

Some people scoff saying "you're not exactly a good player, so why the fancy maths?" but I do tend to get away with single putts quite often turning boring 5s into 1-putt 4s, after a wedge of exactly the right distance.

I'll never forget the "killer blow" in our 2010 matchplay victory. Skycaddie said 87 yards, slightely uphill, played 90 with 3/4 GW. Stone dead to go 4 up after 14. That's what we do it for isn't it? If it takes multiple wedges, who cares. :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
PW...5 - 110
SW...5 - 90

Depending on whether I want to hit it high, low or normal

you are an acomplished player who plays off scratch. you have honed you skills over many years and what you described is all about feeling the shot. this is simply too hard for people who dont get to play and practice as much as you or who havnt got to that level of skill and feel.

i would agree that anything over a 58 is unnecessary. i have a 60 and 64 in the garage gathering dust.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
In the Mizuno Aerolite WP Stand Bag:

Mizuno MP 630 Driver (Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 64)
Mizuno MP Titanium 5 Wood (Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 74)
Mizuno MP CLK 17* Hybrid (Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 84)

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 Iron (TT DG R300)
Mizuno MP-32 Irons 4-PW (TT DG R300)
TaylorMade XFT TP 52* & 56* Wedges (KBS Tour Steel)
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Handicap Start 2012 - 18.3>18.4

gareth - you have a big gap between driver and 5 wood. then too small a gap between 5wood and hybrid.

It doesn't matter what it says on the sole it's how far I hit them :thup:

I was more concerend about the gap between my 5 wood and 3 iron (..... Hence the hybrid) than the gap between my driver and 5 wood, which to be honest isn't massive and I can live with.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im not phil mickelson. i just see that club as a waste for me personaly. the bunkers around my place are not exactly massive. in fact two of the bigger ones have been made smaller this year. i wont short side myself that badly where i cant flop the ball enough with the 58.

as i said before i have a 60 and i used for two years to devistating ;) effect. it worked well for me but i decided to invest in a 58 and i use it for even more approch shots as i get very little distance from a 60, just height.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter what it says on the sole it's how far I hit them :thup:

I was more concerend about the gap between my 5 wood and 3 iron (..... Hence the hybrid) than the gap between my driver and 5 wood, which to be honest isn't massive and I can live with.

i was just pointing out an obvious number gap. im the same tbh. i have a 4 wood in the bag at the minute and a 19* hybrid. i dont hit the wood very stright and will only use it when i know it safe to do so. i know how far (roughly) they go so its alll good.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
you are an acomplished player who plays off scratch. you have honed you skills over many years and what you described is all about feeling the shot. this is simply too hard for people who dont get to play and practice as much as you or who havnt got to that level of skill and feel.

i would agree that anything over a 58 is unnecessary. i have a 60 and 64 in the garage gathering dust.

No.
I learned how to play the wedge shot and how to vary it.
It's not difficult.
But it is quicker to pop to the shop and buy another wedge.
Do you find a big difference in your 56 and 58?
And how do you cope with only one club between your 3 wood and 4 iron?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i can confidently stand at any said position within my wedge range and know which one will get me to the pin. this is in part, feel. i dont know my exact yardage for these but just by looking ill know, obviously factoring in the wind etc.

for delicate shots around the green i find the 58 to be such a weapon. i played strabane at the weekend which has much faster, sloping greens than im used to at home and any time i was green side, i was able to lift the ball nicely into the air, soft landing and let the ball feed down to the hole. this could have been achieved by opening my sand wedge and cutting across it but by simply using a small back swing and up to head hight follow through i was leaving chip after chip stone dead. simple.

im not the biggest of drivers but can get it out there to an average distane and im even more ropey with woods ect. anything that i can hit over 200 yards can be dangerous. having the 4 wood and 19* hybrid can both do this so i am very carefull when i use them. this no doubt holds my game back but it also allows me to get around the course in the manner i currently do. the long clubs are my next major project ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ill be honest with you. 190-200ish would be a gap for me. could prob be doing with a 21* hybrid for this shot or 185 into a breeze but i love the wedges so im stuck between a rock and a hard place. we dont have any par 3' of this distance at my place and when im faced with one i just try and cut a bit of the 19*.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
phew, 7 page read of that on the train was tough! i have 4 wedges, PW doesnt really count though at 45*.. thats a 9 iron in old money. I do love my 60* lob wedge though...

I reckon mine go like this ish.. (unless you count the PW i thin/sliced 50yrds towards smiffys head...)
PW - 5-120yrd use as a 9 iron or for chips over a raised fringe etc
AW - 40-100yrd utility from 40yrds out
SW - 5-75yrd from sand obviously and round the greens, sometimes when 50+ out and need height
LW- 5-40yrd never hit full, only for getting over stuff and stopping quick... i do like a cheeky 10yarder over a bunker, stream etc..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I beg to differ

The occasional 'stubborn technophobic old fart' only carries 1 or 2 :)
I don't know of any (Touring) Pro that uses fewer than 3 wedges (counting PW) - and for the same reasons we should. These are the 'scoring' clubs!

If you check out Dave Pelz's book 'Short Game Bible' you'll see how 3 'finesse' swings will give you predictable distances with 3 or 4 wedges without having to be particularly creative. Likewise, the 3-9 and 10-2 etc approach of other coaches.

S

Snelly

One day, when you have evolved as a golfer, perhaps you too will realise that whatever is in Dave's bible, how many wedges you have, what clubs you have, what shaft is in them, the material of your putter face, your laser rangefinder, how clean your shoes are, what colour tees you use and everything else that I read about on this forum that relates to how important various bits of kit are, is all actually just about irrelevant to your golf game.

What matters is how you hold the club, how you address the ball, how you swing the club and your mental approach to the game. When these are all good, you are a good player. When they are poor, so are you. The clubs you are using have a very small effect on any of this, despite what you might think.

I know this because I have been through it all. And I am living proof that I am right.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The occasional 'stubborn technophobic old fart' only carries 1 or 2 :)
I don't know of any (Touring) Pro that uses fewer than 3 wedges (counting PW) - and for the same reasons we should. These are the 'scoring' clubs!

If you check out Dave Pelz's book 'Short Game Bible' you'll see how 3 'finesse' swings will give you predictable distances with 3 or 4 wedges without having to be particularly creative. Likewise, the 3-9 and 10-2 etc approach of other coaches.

Foxholer, if you look, Spawnukuk said

Most people i think Carry 4 wedges now
Pw Gap Sw Lob

It was that a didnt agree with.
I also said I dont have a problem with people carrying 3 wedges.
I also didn't say some tour pros only carry 2 wedges
But I will say there are plenty who only carry 3, not 4
And as for Pelz...
How many majors has he won?
I was taught the 9 to 3 drill when I was 12, so there's nothing new in his "Bible"
And as for me being a stubborn technophobic old fart, you are of course entiltled to your opinion.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One day, when you have evolved as a golfer, perhaps you too will realise that whatever is in Dave's bible, how many wedges you have, what clubs you have, what shaft is in them, the material of your putter face, your laser rangefinder, how clean your shoes are, what colour tees you use and everything else that I read about on this forum that relates to how important various bits of kit are, is all actually just about irrelevant to your golf game.

What matters is how you hold the club, how you address the ball, how you swing the club and your mental approach to the game. When these are all good, you are a good player. When they are poor, so are you. The clubs you are using have a very small effect on any of this, despite what you might think.

I know this because I have been through it all. And I am living proof that I am right.

Ah! The ABC approach to Golf - Arrogant British Condescension!

While I don't believe you can 'buy' a game, it certainly makes sense to use what works best. Otherwise (by your argument), there'd only need to be 1 or 2 clubs. Your use of 'modern' gear (and putter comment) also rather negates your argument too.

Had you said 'still got to get the ball in the hole - in the fewest number of strokes' we'd be 'on the same page'! :D

Pelz's books do come in handy as doorstops too!

S

Snelly

Ah! The ABC approach to Golf - Arrogant British Condescension!

While I don't believe you can 'buy' a game, it certainly makes sense to use what works best. Otherwise (by your argument), there'd only need to be 1 or 2 clubs. Your use of 'modern' gear (and putter comment) also rather negates your argument too.

Had you said 'still got to get the ball in the hole - in the fewest number of strokes' we'd be 'on the same page'! :D

Pelz's books do come in handy as doorstops too!

I can certainly be arrogant that is for sure. A design flaw I am afraid.

However, to say that the natural extension of what I am saying means 1 or 2 clubs is ludicrous.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Foxholer, if you look, Spawnukuk said

It was that a didnt agree with.
I also said I dont have a problem with people carrying 3 wedges.
I also didn't say some tour pros only carry 2 wedges
But I will say there are plenty who only carry 3, not 4
And as for Pelz...
How many majors has he won?
I was taught the 9 to 3 drill when I was 12, so there's nothing new in his "Bible"
And as for me being a stubborn technophobic old fart, you are of course entiltled to your opinion.

Bob,

There's unfortunately no 'tongue in cheek' smilie. I used the closest I could find.

However, re Pelz:

If Winning Majors was the qualification to be a coach.......

He was actually a pretty handy player with 4 year scholarship to Indiana Uni, but didn't make it on the PGA Tour so turned to his other talent - Physics - and rose quite high in the NASA world before/while compiling stats/his approach to short game (and putting).

The 9 to 3 is not a 'Pelz' swing. You should (re-)read his book - at least the first 70 pages, though there is a lot of padding/waffle to get through.

As for wedge counts: Checking the WITBs of winners from last couple of months, it's pretty much even between 3 and 4.

Last edited: