LW 70 - 80 yards ( rarely hit it full )

S

Snelly

For me 4 wedges is a must its gives me the options i need

PW 110 - 115 yards
GW 105 - 110 yards
SW 100 - 105 yards

Really? Well you must be an incredibly good player then.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
What else ? high shots around the green when i need it to stop
Over trees possibly?
the usual

This is not a dig so please don't think it is, but this is the point people make about manipulating wedges.

The most lofted wedge I carry is a 56*. If I need any more I just open the face a little and/or move the ball slightly forward in my stance. For me anything over 58* can cause more problems than they'll get you out of, but again that's just my opinion.

56* is more than enough loft for any shot IMHO and leave me an extra space in my bag for my hybrid :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me 4 wedges is a must its gives me the options i need

PW 110 - 115 yards
GW 105 - 110 yards
SW 100 - 105 yards

what i noticed here is that you only cover 15 yards diff with 3 clubs???

What do you play off just out of interest?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As has been said, it's Horses for Courses..you pick what feels best for you.

I have - officially - 4 wedges. My PW is 45* and is really a 9 iron and to be honest I use it as such, I don't generally chip or pitch with it.

Anyway, I have a 3 wood, a 5 wood and a 24* MP Fli-Hi before I get to my irons.
I could get another club in there, maybe one that hits it around 200-210.
But the way I look at is - How often am I going to hit the green from more than 200 yards?
I have a decent long-game, I'm not going to hit the green many times out of 10 from in excess of 200 yards, either by taking a little off my 3 or 5 wood or forcing the 24....
So the likelyhood is, if I'm going at the green from 200+, that I'm going to be chipping. With my 3 "proper" wedges I have a club that will, with a bit of luck, get me to the flag regardless of how the ball is lying.
A 50* to chip'n'run, a 54 with high bounce should the ball be in a bunker or deep grass and a 58 for getting the ball up and over. Add into that the rest of the irons that can be used should the need arise and I have a club for almost any situation.
I know how the ball is going to react with each club so I choose the one that will help me play the shot I want.
I'd rather have more short clubs than long for the reason specified above.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
what i noticed here is that you only cover 15 yards diff with 3 clubs???

What do you play off just out of interest?

i play off 10

Also alot alot people open the wedges club face give them more loft which is good if you can do it
But i just keep it simple dont risk playing some wide opened face and risk thinning it
I got the wedges that gives me alot of options when i really need to make sure its right

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i play off 10

Also alot alot people open the wedges club face give them more loft which is good if you can do it
But i just keep it simple dont risk playing some wide opened face and risk thinning it
I got the wedges that gives me alot of options when i really need to make sure its right

Just that your PW,GW and sw are all within 15 yards of each other.

my pw that goes max 110 yards so use this from 90 up to 110.

My 50 deg gap wedge has no bounce and and use this for all shots upto 90 yards except out of greenside bunkers
just change the length of swing. I can open it up for lob shots as the lack of bounce helps on tight links turf.

My 56 deg sw is used, well out of sand. Where i play we have deep pot bunkers, always get out (eventually). I can hit this club about 50 yards but don't need to. If im honest i could prob get rid of the PW if i needed something else at the other end in the bag.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have four wedges in the bag at the moment, as I can't hit anything less than a full shot without shanking.:( I have taken to holding the bottom of the grip, top of the shaft with my lob wedge in order to hit full shots 40-50 yards. Less than that its is a stab with a wedge or the putter. Have had the chipping yips chipping for years, and resorted to left hand below right, a chipper:eek:, and just giving up the game.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For......

In the Mizuno Aerolite WP Stand Bag:

Mizuno MP 630 Driver (Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 64)
Mizuno MP Titanium 5 Wood (Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 74)
Mizuno MP CLK 17* Hybrid (Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 84)

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 Iron (TT DG R300)
Mizuno MP-32 Irons 4-PW (TT DG R300)
TaylorMade XFT TP 52* & 56* Wedges (KBS Tour Steel)
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Handicap Start 2012 - 18.3>18.4

gareth - you have a big gap between driver and 5 wood. then too small a gap between 5wood and hybrid.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have four wedges in the bag at the moment, as I can't hit anything less than a full shot without shanking.:( I have taken to holding the bottom of the grip, top of the shaft with my lob wedge in order to hit full shots 40-50 yards. Less than that its is a stab with a wedge or the putter. Have had the chipping yips chipping for years, and resorted to left hand below right, a chipper:eek:, and just giving up the game.

The next time I'm down, I'll sort you out :eek: ;)