Gamers

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I couldn't believe it but I logged on the other day and saw Fifa 22 is now free with PlayStation Plus! I've not had a Fifa game since Fifa 19 was awful, but for free I couldn't resist downloading it (unfortunately). Only done one or two friendlies against the computer as it hadn't finished installing. Dribbling was nice and smooth but almost too easy, I imagine I'd have nightmare going back online now with people running rings around me. Quite easy to finish chances as well, I managed to score a rabona with Neymar, a couple of backheels and also a dink over the keeper with Firmino. Once again, all well and good against the computer but when people are doing it against you online.... I might stick with career mode! Ultimate Team would be a waste of time anyway as everyone will have 96-rated teams while I'd be hamming it up with the likes of Callum Wilson and Joe Gomez. :LOL:

I’ve got no idea how to do rabonas or backheels however in career mode I’ve taken the Super Owls from L1 to the Championship in my first year, that was along with cup treble, League Cup, FA Cup and Papa Johns ?
It’s very easy even for a noob like me, I tend to get to 4-0 or 5-0 up then just go to “jump to result”.

Swango1980

Visit site
I couldn't believe it but I logged on the other day and saw Fifa 22 is now free with PlayStation Plus! I've not had a Fifa game since Fifa 19 was awful, but for free I couldn't resist downloading it (unfortunately). Only done one or two friendlies against the computer as it hadn't finished installing. Dribbling was nice and smooth but almost too easy, I imagine I'd have nightmare going back online now with people running rings around me. Quite easy to finish chances as well, I managed to score a rabona with Neymar, a couple of backheels and also a dink over the keeper with Firmino. Once again, all well and good against the computer but when people are doing it against you online.... I might stick with career mode! Ultimate Team would be a waste of time anyway as everyone will have 96-rated teams while I'd be hamming it up with the likes of Callum Wilson and Joe Gomez. :LOL:
I haven't played FIFA, or any football game in years (despite playing them all the time when I was younger). Years ago, I tried playing it online for the first time, absolutely hated it. I think most versions have "cheap" ways to score goals, and in this particular one it seemed to be hitting a through ball down the wing, winger runs onto it and diagonally straight to goal, and smashes it past keeper. Virtually every match I played, the opponents virtually all used this tactic without fail. It was so ridiculous, it put me off online play for life (and probably football games generally).

My last favourite footy game was Pro Evo, probably in the mid 2000's. I could play that for hours, and it was first game the movement of the ball seemed realistic.

Worst football game (taking into account computer capabilities of the time) was This Is Football. My mate had it. You couldn't just tap the ball in the net, even if you were a yard from the goal line in the middle of the goal. Every time you hit shoot, from wherever you were, the ball went into one of the top corners. Wise up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve got no idea how to do rabonas or backheels however in career mode I’ve taken the Super Owls from L1 to the Championship in my first year, that was along with cup treble, League Cup, FA Cup and Papa Johns ?
It’s very easy even for a noob like me, I tend to get to 4-0 or 5-0 up then just go to “jump to result”.
Well, you just hold L2 as you tap the shoot button basically. I guess the rabona is more likely if you're using a guy with 5* skills. I like a bit of Career Mode, but as I recall it's tough to set the difficulty setting exactly as I wanted. On semi-pro I win everything 5-0, on professional I would often fail to score, so I'd have to tune it in with those sliders they have in the pause menu. If they still have them now.

I haven't played FIFA, or any football game in years (despite playing them all the time when I was younger). Years ago, I tried playing it online for the first time, absolutely hated it. I think most versions have "cheap" ways to score goals, and in this particular one it seemed to be hitting a through ball down the wing, winger runs onto it and diagonally straight to goal, and smashes it past keeper. Virtually every match I played, the opponents virtually all used this tactic without fail. It was so ridiculous, it put me off online play for life (and probably football games generally).

My last favourite footy game was Pro Evo, probably in the mid 2000's. I could play that for hours, and it was first game the movement of the ball seemed realistic.

Worst football game (taking into account computer capabilities of the time) was This Is Football. My mate had it. You couldn't just tap the ball in the net, even if you were a yard from the goal line in the middle of the goal. Every time you hit shoot, from wherever you were, the ball went into one of the top corners. Wise up.
You are right, most editions of Fifa had one method of attack that was broken and everyone exploits it. Like, off the top of my head, Fifa 13 was finesse curlers into the top corner, Fifa 14 headers were overpowered so everyone was running teams with Mandzukic, Carroll or Crouch up front. :LOL: On other games it was chipped through ball to your pacey striker as the defenders didn't react. It's extremely rare in an online game that your opponent just wants a decent game of football, everyone wants to win by doing whatever it takes.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, you just hold L2 as you tap the shoot button basically. I guess the rabona is more likely if you're using a guy with 5* skills. I like a bit of Career Mode, but as I recall it's tough to set the difficulty setting exactly as I wanted. On semi-pro I win everything 5-0, on professional I would often fail to score, so I'd have to tune it in with those sliders they have in the pause menu. If they still have them now.

You are right, most editions of Fifa had one method of attack that was broken and everyone exploits it. Like, off the top of my head, Fifa 13 was finesse curlers into the top corner, Fifa 14 headers were overpowered so everyone was running teams with Mandzukic, Carroll or Crouch up front. :LOL: On other games it was chipped through ball to your pacey striker as the defenders didn't react. It's extremely rare in an online game that your opponent just wants a decent game of football, everyone wants to win by doing whatever it takes.
Was it FIFA95 where you just stood in front of the keeper when he had ball in his hands. He went to kick the ball, straight into your chest, you controlled the ball and scored? Mind you, that would have been pre online gaming.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it FIFA95 where you just stood in front of the keeper when he had ball in his hands. He went to kick the ball, straight into your chest, you controlled the ball and scored? Mind you, that would have been pre online gaming.
Not sure, my first one was Fifa 96! There was a sweet spot on that game, about 10 yards past the halfway line and out on the wing, a long diagonal strike would catch the goalie out and go in. Think Nayim v Seaman. :LOL: Best game was Road to World Cup 98 when they had the indoor 5-a-side games, and you could turn the referee strictness down to zero, get away with every deliberate foul! The last good game they made was Fifa 17, it was all downhill after that.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This year is going to be the last ever FIFA before a name change. FIFA wanted to charge EA in the region of a £billion for the licence when all it gives is the FIFA name and the World Cup. EA quite rightly told them to do one as they still have all the club and national team licences and all other tournaments.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure, my first one was Fifa 96! There was a sweet spot on that game, about 10 yards past the halfway line and out on the wing, a long diagonal strike would catch the goalie out and go in. Think Nayim v Seaman. :LOL: Best game was Road to World Cup 98 when they had the indoor 5-a-side games, and you could turn the referee strictness down to zero, get away with every deliberate foul! The last good game they made was Fifa 17, it was all downhill after that.
My first football game was Football Italia 90 on the Mega Drive. The view was from overhead, and best way to score was diagonal cross to edge of box, and attacker head it across goal. Tap ins were impossible, just could not be done.

I then had Ultimate Soccer on the Mega Drive, which was sort of overhead but behind play, rather than straight overhead. It had an Indoor feature. It was decent, as you only used one button to kick / head / tackle the ball, but the strength you touched it determined the strength. The cheat there was to hoof a big long ball, and the quickest way to catch it was to continually slide tackle after is (was quicker than just running). The downside was you accidentally caught an opponent every now and then and got a red card.

Had Sensible Soccer which was little small players and directly overhead view. They all sort of looked like the little fat Diego Maradona

FIFA sort of became a thing after that, and then Pro Evo.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My first football game was Football Italia 90 on the Mega Drive. The view was from overhead, and best way to score was diagonal cross to edge of box, and attacker head it across goal. Tap ins were impossible, just could not be done.

I then had Ultimate Soccer on the Mega Drive, which was sort of overhead but behind play, rather than straight overhead. It had an Indoor feature. It was decent, as you only used one button to kick / head / tackle the ball, but the strength you touched it determined the strength. The cheat there was to hoof a big long ball, and the quickest way to catch it was to continually slide tackle after is (was quicker than just running). The downside was you accidentally caught an opponent every now and then and got a red card.

Had Sensible Soccer which was little small players and directly overhead view. They all sort of looked like the little fat Diego Maradona

My first console football game was the orignal FIFA Football on megadrive. That was a game changer. I preferred Pro EVo on the SNES (think it was called International Superstart Soccer originally) but the problem was and still is the licences. It is just not the same without the real clubs and players and that is why FIFA is such a success despite not always being the best game. Playing as the Manchester Reds etc with soundalike player names was just never the same.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year is going to be the last ever FIFA before a name change. FIFA wanted to charge EA in the region of a £billion for the licence when all it gives is the FIFA name and the World Cup. EA quite rightly told them to do one as they still have all the club and national team licences and all other tournaments.
Yeah I heard about that. It's going to be called 'EA Sports FC' which is a pretty cack name if you ask me. 'EA Football 23' would have worked.

Back on the Sega Master System we had a game called 'World Cup 93' I believe. Funny since there wasn't a world cup in 93 of course. :ROFLMAO: Christ, I've found a video of it!
Hahaha. So bad.

There was a game on the original Playstation called Red Card Soccer, where you encouraged to kick lumps out of your opponents to gain power-ups for your shots etc. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays!

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah I heard about that. It's going to be called 'EA Sports FC' which is a pretty cack name if you ask me. 'EA Football 23' would have worked.

Back on the Sega Master System we had a game called 'World Cup 93' I believe. Funny since there wasn't a world cup in 93 of course. :ROFLMAO: Christ, I've found a video of it!
Hahaha. So bad.

There was a game on the original Playstation called Red Card Soccer, where you encouraged to kick lumps out of your opponents to gain power-ups for your shots etc. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays!
I felt compelled to watch that video until the first goal was scored. Bloody 6 minutes and 29 seconds later, a goal was finally scored (very much against the run of play). Awful, but probably good in its day. The ball was massive.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hahaha. So bad.

They need to give the licences to pro Evo that always was the better game

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just upgraded to the mid tier of playstation plus mainly for Returnal and Miles Morales on the PS5 as well as a few pS4 games I missed. Got a ton of downloading to do when I get home.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I have 5 months of PS Plus left, it was and extra £13 for Extra and £20 for Premium so it was a no brainier really. If Premium is rubbish I’ll just go with Extra come November.
Set 3 games away to download before I left for work this morning, I’m currently SSD hunting ?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I gave up on FIFA22 as on-line I was being whipped and couldn't get any higher that Div 8. Last year I was Div 3. All the teams I played in Div 8 were prime Barca v Aldershot 3rds.

I'm dipping in and out of GT7 currently.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I gave up on FIFA22 as on-line I was being whipped and couldn't get any higher that Div 8. Last year I was Div 3. All the teams I played in Div 8 were prime Barca v Aldershot 3rds.

I'm dipping in and out of GT7 currently.
I'm finding I'm better at Fifa 22 than I was at the last few I tried (19, 18). I've done a bit of seasons mode, think my record is something like 22-5-6 maybe? It's just so easy to score goals. Defending is a total lottery so I just play a 3-5-2 and try and outscore my opponents! Had some daft results, and to be fair, often you go 2-0 up early and the other guy just quits the game anyway. Think I'm up to division 6 or so. Sure it will get more difficult if I get to division 3 and above.

Even on career mode, I've been playing it on Professional - on the old games I'd struggle to score on Professional and occasionally drop to Semi-Pro. On this one though I'm winning 5-1, 6-1 etc. I will have to bump it up to whatever the next difficulty is. Not sure I ever went above Professional on any older game.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It looks like the PS5 are now available on a regular basis and I might consider getting one.

Should I get disc or digital?

As for games, my last console was the Xbox. The original one. And a Wii.

I enjoyed Project Gotham racing where you raced ‘regular’ cars around London, NY, Tokyo and San Francisco. Places I recognised (London & NY) which added to the enjoyment. I think GT 7 is the modern equivalent?
Not into Rally or F1.

I also enjoyed a tactical game where I had 4 or 5 special forces soldiers in a desert, can’t remember the name. There must be equivalent games out there which I could research?

FIFA and Madden are ‘a must’, I think.
I also want Red Dead Redemption 2 which is a ps4 game but should run?

Anything for a 5/6 year old which is worth considering? The games I would know are on different consoles (Mario; Sonic) if they still exist at all.
Nothing brutal. Not Minecraft.

Stuff I had and didn’t enjoy were Halo (is there a movie coming right now?), Max Payne. Aliens and fighting games are also not my cup of tea.

There’s mostly bundles at the moment so one of those games with aliens seems to be with it anyway. Also seen one with GT7 on top.

Do I need head phones? Not planning on streaming parties. 2nd controller? External HD drive?

That’s my ‘re - beginner’ questions for now. Late midlife crisis.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It looks like the PS5 are now available on a regular basis and I might consider getting one.

Should I get disc or digital?

As for games, my last console was the Xbox. The original one. And a Wii.

I enjoyed Project Gotham racing where you raced ‘regular’ cars around London, NY, Tokyo and San Francisco. Places I recognised (London & NY) which added to the enjoyment. I think GT 7 is the modern equivalent?
Not into Rally or F1.

I also enjoyed a tactical game where I had 4 or 5 special forces soldiers in a desert, can’t remember the name. There must be equivalent games out there which I could research?

FIFA and Madden are ‘a must’, I think.
I also want Red Dead Redemption 2 which is a ps4 game but should run?

Anything for a 5/6 year old which is worth considering? The games I would know are on different consoles (Mario; Sonic) if they still exist at all.
Nothing brutal. Not Minecraft.

Stuff I had and didn’t enjoy were Halo (is there a movie coming right now?), Max Payne. Aliens and fighting games are also not my cup of tea.

There’s mostly bundles at the moment so one of those games with aliens seems to be with it anyway. Also seen one with GT7 on top.

Do I need head phones? Not planning on streaming parties. 2nd controller? External HD drive?

That’s my ‘re - beginner’ questions for now. Late midlife crisis.

If you sign up to a certain tier of Playstation plus (basically netflix for playstation) alot of what you are looking for is available to download including red dead redemption 2.

The nearest to project gotham racing is actually the Forza Horizon series but that is xbox only so GT7 is probably your nearest option.

I also remember the tactical game you mention but cannot recall the name. Not much like that these days but for all out, turn based tactics you cannot beat Xcom 2.

Fifa 22 is available for download on playstation plus.

I don't use headphones as I am far wnough away that the sound does not disturb the wife. I do have a second controller simply becuase they are rechargeable and so I have one in use and one on charge.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just finished Miles Morales that I downloard from Playstation Plus with a Platinum.

Had a go at Returnal but I am not sure that these games that send you back to the start each time are suited to me so that has gone to one side for the time being.

Instead I am having a go at Horizon Zero Dawn as I had played and finished Forbidden West. Early days but part of me prefers it to the newer game. The simpler game mechanics work well and the early stages of the story seem better than the mid part told in the next game.