Game Golf User Group

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

Up and running on GG. Many thanks for Turkish for the quick delivery of his device.

Follow me - Robbie Mott.

Took it out for a quick 9 holes today. Played some great stuff in the middle book ended by rubbish.

Gonna follow all you guys when I get some time.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone have difficulty logging in to their account at the moment (on ipad if it makes any difference). I go the the GG website, am re-directed to a site bnc.lt for a moment with just a login box in the centre of the screen, no logo or anything. Seems strange.

Any IT experts out there?

S

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this is going over old ground, but how does everyone's game golf handicap compare with their club handicap? Seems to me most people's GG handicap is a couple of shots lower than their real one.

I've read about how GG calculate the h/cap and it seems to be based on distance rather than difficulty which may explain the difference in many cases.

I don't have a club handicap, so I'm interested to know whether the GG handicap is a useful estimate.

kerber0s1983

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As jdpjamesp has said its because every round is used to calculate the handicap and most round you play aren't off the comp tees, so the course is shorter - plus you don't have a card in your hand!

Plus even if you play and tag a few holes (e.g a quick 6/7 holes) it will average that score up to an 18 hole round and use that for it's handicap calc

My gamegolf h/c is 3 shots below my actual handicap

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
The main reason it's different in my eyes is that you tag every round you play whereas an official HC is based on competitive rounds on the whole.

As jdpjamesp has said its because every round is used to calculate the handicap and most round you play aren't off the comp tees, so the course is shorter - plus you don't have a card in your hand!

Plus even if you play and tag a few holes (e.g a quick 6/7 holes) it will average that score up to an 18 hole round and use that for it's handicap calc

My gamegolf h/c is 3 shots below my actual handicap

Ah right that makes sense. So GG handicap is accurate for the data it receives, but club handicap likely to be higher due to back tees and comp conditions.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do people use there GG'S in comps?

Only used mine once in an open....which I won :)

But apart from that I find it too distracting and worry what PP's may think I. E. Thinking it's some sort of banned technology etc.

D

Deleted member 16999

Do people use there GG'S in comps?

Only used mine once in an open....which I won :)

But apart from that I find it too distracting and worry what PP's may think I. E. Thinking it's some sort of banned technology etc.
Use it for every round regardless, not distracting as it's second nature.

mches1

Hacker
Visit site
Some advice pls? I've been looking at GG a lot... I've managed to get my handicap down from 24 to 17 in last 12 months. Has GG really helped some of you improve your game? Thanks a lot

D

Deleted member 16999

Some advice pls? I've been looking at GG a lot... I've managed to get my handicap down from 24 to 17 in last 12 months. Has GG really helped some of you improve your game? Thanks a lot
I think it has as well as other things, one of the things it did for me quite quickly was to change the focus of my practises.
After 10-15 rounds I started to look closely at the stats it provided, probably like some I thought that driving was the area I needed to improve the most, but GG quickly identified my driving accuracy was actually above average but my accurancy into the green and distance from the pin was way below average.
I changed my routine on the range and instantly took an extra club (were practical) into the green.
I've come down from 15 to 12 since I got it, not all down to GG but definitely some.

mches1

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks a lot, appreciated. A friend with GG said it showed he was coming up short into greens all the time. I ll have to keep.eyes peeled on here and eBay.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk

It's not the only thing that's helped, but being able to go out on the course and know that on average, when playing a round (so not on the range) my x club goes x yards means I hit more greens. For example. It also shows me that my miss off the tee is right, so I can plan for that, and also practise. It also shows me that I need to work on my chipping because I leave them way too short of the whole for up and down.

So yes it helps. A great deal. But it's not the only thing.

TheMetalMan0

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Picked up a GG Live this weekend on eBay for what I thought was a decent price of £150. It was marked as damaged box but when it turned up was still sealed and in perfect condition.
Link here for anyone else who's interested (however looks like it's up to £160).

Just getting back into golf after not playing for a few years and always liked to track stats, looks like this will make it easier.

GG username - TheMetalMan0 if anyone wants to follow :)

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used Game golf today for the first time today and was really impressed. Easy tagging and the app during my round is great. I have a few questions though.

1. Off the whites our 13th is a par 5 from the whites and a par 4 from the yellows. We were playing from the yellows but it the app classes it as a par 4. I made par but it has registered as a birdie. Can I change this?

2. It also had a par 3 as a par 4. I made par but it registered as a birdie. I have sent an email to them to ask it to be changed. Will they change this quickly? Will they edit my round after they change it.

3. I was 7 over but it thinks I was 5 over and has give me a handicap of 3.1?
How did they work that out? 🤔

D

Deleted member 16999

I used Game golf today for the first time today and was really impressed. Easy tagging and the app during my round is great. I have a few questions though.

1. Off the whites our 13th is a par 5 from the whites and a par 4 from the yellows. We were playing from the yellows but it the app classes it as a par 4. I made par but it has registered as a birdie. Can I change this?

Game Golf maps your course off the whites.

2. It also had a par 3 as a par 4. I made par but it registered as a birdie. I have sent an email to them to ask it to be changed. Will they change this quickly? Will they edit my round after they change it.

As above, question though, do you have a summer course and winter course with seperate cards and Tee placements as you can request the course is mapped as 2 courses but the differences need to be obvious on satellite mapping

GG Handicaps are based on a Par of 72,

How did they work that out? 🤔

Have answered a few above, their customer service is excellent and you'll have a response really quick.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site

Unlike what pauldj42 wrote, I always figured you can select which tees you play in the app, which should mean the courses should be mapped off various tees? So if the par for any hole is wrong for any set of tees, GG customer service should be able to sort that out.

Typically the reponse time of the customer service is very good, so if they can fix the issue (which I believe they can), it shouldn't take too long. But I'm also quite sure they won't edit your round for you once they've corrected the course data...

How did they work that out? 樂

First of all, could the difference between the 7 over you shot vs. the 5 over GG thinks you shot come from the two birdies-that-were-actually-pars you mentioned before?

Regarding the handicap calculation in GG in general: I think they use the USGA handicapping system. So they take the average differential of your scores vs. the course rating (which is a similar concept to SSS) of the best 10 out of your last 20 rounds, then multiply that value by 0.96.

If you have played only one round so far, there is no average to be calculated but only the numbers of that round.

A 3.1 HCP would mean a 3.2 differential when accounting for the 0.96 factor. Given it thinks you were 5 over, there's a 1.8 shot difference between your score and the differential used for handicap calculation.

Could it be your course is a par 72 with a SSS of 70 (or course rating of 70.2) off the yellows (or any combination where SSS/course rating is roughly 2 shots below par)?