Gambling on the course 2.0

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

Thanks to those who who answered my survey, very appreciated.
Glad it could also spark another thread - very helpful when it comes to placing the data into context.

Me and my mates down at uni will tend to just place the bet that 'The loser buys the beer'. Keeps us more motivated throughout the round due to the element of compitittion.

(If anyone else has a spare few minutes to quickly complete my survey then that would be awesome, thanks all - https://bournemouth.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/golf-course-gambling )

Yeah, when playing with my mates it's usually team match play with pints on the line as well.

Only time money comes in is when I play the weekend roll ups.

Joeadams92

Visit site
£3 for our regular weekly fourball, £2 for a eagle, £1 for a hole in one, and we roll over every week - pots are quite big at the moment haha!!!!

Robin Hood

Visit site
£1 each
Stableford
Winner takes all, but loses 3 off handicap
Gets one back each week, unless they win again. But rarely happens.
Fairly even split of low, mid and high handicappers who pocket the cash.
Obviously we have our own roll-up handicaps, but leave it to the individual to keep their own records.

D

Deleted member 25172

£3 for our regular weekly fourball, £2 for a eagle, £1 for a hole in one, and we roll over every week - pots are quite big at the moment haha!!!!

How big is the pot currently for the eagle roll over? Guessing that pot has been triggered at some point, but perhaps not the hole in one? :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am wary about joining in with players I have never met before and playing for above average stakes.

Many years ago I joined such a group and they were playing £1 bits.

I got accused of deliberately going in to the greenside bunkers to pick up the bits after upping and downing for par about 7 times. I had to point out to them that on one occasion I had actually picked my ball up after hitting the bunker shot which finished about 6" inches away because my playing partner was already in the hole for par.

D

Deleted member 25172

I am wary about joining in with players I have never met before and playing for above average stakes.

Many years ago I joined such a group and they were playing £1 bits.

I got accused of deliberately going in to the greenside bunkers to pick up the bits after upping and downing for par about 7 times. I had to point out to them that on one occasion I had actually picked my ball up after hitting the bunker shot which finished about 6" inches away because my playing partner was already in the hole for par.

With my bunker game, I'll never get accused of that...

D

Deleted member 1418

The swindle I play in at my place is the 'Paddy' (majority of those who play in it are Irish!)

£10 entry - £5 into the prize fund for the winner; £5 into the beer kitty!

Then £5, £5, £5 in your game with £1 bits.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Saturday it's £7 to enter, for which you get two drinks (cheap If you drink Peroni), and the stableford winner gets a £10 win. Some how we make a profit out of this, and there is spare left over for xmas. Normally 30 odd players. In your 4, we play 4bbb for a £5, with the winners buying lunch. This normally means the losers put in 5 each, and the winners about 2.50 to make up the rest.

Sunday I play a usual 4 ball. Chuck the balls up, 4bbb with the losers buying the drinks.

I try to avoid the silly pm swindles. Usual there it's 10 and 1s, with compulsory press on going two down.

Hackers76

Visit site
£2 entry into our weekly knock and that’s normally it. Depending on who’s in your fourball there maybe a pairs wager thrown in but very rarely

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only gamble within my circle of friends.
During winter, we mainly play £5/£5/£5 and goes up to £10/£10/£10 during summer. (shots given according to handicap)
Within the group, we have side wagers for £1 for nearest pin on all holes and £1 for winning the hole.On the par 5's, longest drive with win another £1. Birdies are £5 and eagles £10. And if anyone ever gets a hole in one, that will be £20 (fingers crossed).

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
£1,£1, & £1

One of the best tantrums I ever saw was during a skins game. Lets just say I was rather poor for 17 holes and relied on the other three guys to fight it out and get the obligatory halves to keep the pot rolling.

Out of nowhere on 18 I stuck a 5 iron to 18 inches and took £11 off of each of them. One person wasn't a happy camper at all. Toys right out of the pram, dummy spat you name it.
I've done that sort of things a few times. As you have seen, my play is erratic. Dross for a load of holes which get halved and then win when there are 6/7 skins on the line by actually keeping it in play. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 25172

During winter, we mainly play £5/£5/£5 and goes up to £10/£10/£10 during summer. (shots given according to handicap)
Within the group, we have side wagers for £1 for nearest pin on all holes and £1 for winning the hole.On the par 5's, longest drive with win another £1. Birdies are £5 and eagles £10. And if anyone ever gets a hole in one, that will be £20 (fingers crossed).

That would be out of my comfort zone if that was on a weekly basis. Was happy to win £5 today. :)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Loser buys pints and cheese on toast for the group.
Used to be burgers but they’re now £5.50. Only do it on Fridays.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saturday roll up is £2 per man. We draw in fours and losing pair put the £1 per person in for team prize. Sunday is £4 per man, winner takes all but uses the pot to buy the field a round. Lowest points score acts as the winners "bitch" (wearing a rosette to boot) and has to go to the bar and order and serve all the drinks

D

Deleted member 21258

Almost never play for money on the course, with one 3 ball I played with we play £1:£1 and £1 (front/back/overall)

With the family if we play for anything, its who will cook dinner later;)

DD32

Visit site
£1 front and £1 back

The other 2 in our group who are better golfers do

£1 front, £1 back and £1 overall and 50p nearest pin on the 4 par 3's

We avoid that as its unusual we get to near the pin! :rolleyes:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A group I’ve only played a couple of times, they have pairs betterball (around 8-10 pairs) Every pair puts £20 into the pot and the winning pair take the pot… & then pick up the bar bill

If the bar tab is under the pot value the winners keep the change… but if its short they have to make it up by whatever the difference is. I understand there’s usually not much in it either way

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site

So who's job is it to fill in the excel spreadsheet to work out who won what?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Seen most of the above....

would add that at Bowood (the Wiltshire one) on the the "bits" was nearest the pin on the par 3s (in your 4 ball) had to be on the green and then 2 putting! (or better!)

Ive never called it "Gambling" its just some small coin on the side to keep it interesting.... never enough to argue over or worry about losing....

Often on a friendly 4 ball at Newport, losers by the drinks... sometimes lunch...