Fylde coast courses

Skytot

Visit site
Staying in Lytham for a weekend in April . 3 of us want to play a course on the Sunday . Royal Lytham, Fairhaven & Old links are out of our price budget… Any other recommendations but not Herons Reach I’ve played it and wasn’t impressed. Thanks

NearHull

Visit site
Staying in Lytham for a weekend in April . 3 of us want to play a course on the Sunday . Royal Lytham, Fairhaven & Old links are out of our price budget… Any other recommendations but not Herons Reach I’ve played it and wasn’t impressed. Thanks

we lived in Lytham 2013-2015 , but only Mon to Friday, so didn’t join a club there but we sometimes played Lytham Green Dirive as it was affordable. we thought it was good, unsure what it is like as 7 years since we played there (now where has that 7 yrs gone!)

agree about Herons Reach - typically overpriced chain hotel course trying to ‘big up’ the perceived quality by bumping the green fees

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Lytham Green Drive is superb in summer but a bog in winter. it would be worth seeing what the weather in the lead up to your visit ends up being like.

Heron's reach was awful this year, particularly around April time so would avoid like the plague.

Blackpool Park is a superb McKenzie design but it does need a bit of care and could be boggy around that time of the year. The front 9 is potentially the best layout on the Fylde Coast imo.

Ashton and Lea could be a good shout. Be about 15/20 mins away towards Preston but is generally in good nick.

North Shore is generally in good nick but I find it a bit of a boring course personally, wide open and not much to it if that makes sense.

Fleetwood is a links course (a couple of holes are debatable) but very exposed to the weather being literally a seawall away from the beach, bit more rough and ready in comparison to RL, SOAL or Fairhaven.

I'd recommend my own course Knott End but it's a fair trek from Lytham due to the Wyre estuary. Also, if truth be told, its not one of the must play courses in the area despite generally being in good condition this last year and, in the main, very well draining.

Staining is cheap but I've never actually played the full 18 before. Very much a beginners course in comparison to the others mentioned.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I live on the Fylde coast and am a member at Fleetwood.

If it's wet then almost all the "inland" courses in the area will be very wet underfoot. Heftyhacker's summary is pretty accurate. Herons Reach, Stanley Park and Staining could well be almost unplayable if we have had a lot of rain.

Fleetwood is a links course although there are 3 holes on clay rather than sand. Saying that we have invested in new drainage and those holes stay drier than they did in the past. We have had a lot of rain these last few weeks and yet I can play now and come off with dry feet and no mud. The course generally improves later than some others, so it won't be at its best in April, but I think for the money, and compared to others nearby, it offers good value.

But....it is right next to the sea and so is exposed to wind, although protected by a sea wall for some of the length. If you come on a windy day it can be brutal if you aren't used to links golf!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fulwood, Preston is very good, around 20 minutes away. Just over double that time to travel is Lancaster which should be dry or Pleasington which may be a bit more expensive. All 3 are worth a peep.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

If it's wet then almost all the "inland" courses in the area will be very wet underfoot. Heftyhacker's summary is pretty accurate. Herons Reach, Stanley Park and Staining could well be almost unplayable if we have had a lot of rain.

Fleetwood is a links course although there are 3 holes on clay rather than sand. Saying that we have invested in new drainage and those holes stay drier than they did in the past. We have had a lot of rain these last few weeks and yet I can play now and come off with dry feet and no mud. The course generally improves later than some others, so it won't be at its best in April, but I think for the money, and compared to others nearby, it offers good value.

But....it is right next to the sea and so is exposed to wind, although protected by a sea wall for some of the length. If you come on a windy day it can be brutal if you aren't used to links golf!

But..but.....it's a fantastic course to play. Well I think so. I think you're doing your place down a lot. The greens are right up there with the best I've played on.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
But..but.....it's a fantastic course to play. Well I think so. I think you're doing your place down a lot. The greens are right up there with the best I've played on.

Absolutely agree! I wasn't trying to put it down, just manage expectations for potential visitors who might not see it quite at its best in April.

I agree that the greens have been superb this year - as good as any of the other Fylde courses (and I have played most in league matches this year).
We accept it just isn't as pristine as the Lythams & Fairhavens, but it offers great all year golf (played today on dry fairways) at a very reasonable cost (in terms of membership and visitor green fees).
I certainly have no regrets joining Fleetwood when I moved here 4 years ago :LOL:

Skytot

Visit site
It’s looking like our plans are changing, organiser is now looking at Scarborough. So now it’s looking like North or South cliff golf course.
Thanks again for everyone’s input

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I loved Fleetwood even in November - so thumbs up from me

Which are the 3 clay holes might I ask Steve ?