Front or Back 9

D

Deleted member 21258

Back nine is harder than our front nine, the back nine is longer and on some holes tighter. Off the whites probably 2-4 shots harder than the front nine.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just moved to a new club in November and finding the front 9 easier, averaging 2-3 over but the back nine goes on a run of tricky holes from 13 through 18 that has pulled any decent scoring back.
Longer certainly on the back 9 with a few long par 4s that demand long and accurate tee shots to have any chance of GIR.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our front 9 is definitely harder than the back however this does lead to any decent round being let down by getting to the turn and relaxing too much.....hard work being done and all that which usually results in 12 points on the back and a 0.1!

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn't say our club necessarily has a harder back or front 9 but we have a couple of stretches of holes that are tough.

5,6,7 off comp tees are really tough. 5 is a 230 (ish) carry over water, wind dependent means you may have to lay up. Which equals a 200 yard shot to a narrow green.
6 is a similar hole, a tough lay up with around 220-230 normally left in after lay up with water left and a tough green.
If you're not off to a reasonably easy start from 1-4 which includes two par 3s it can be tough to score well.

2nd stretch of tough holes is 12,13 and 15 (I know I skipped 14)

12 is a longgggg par 4 with a stupidly tough green.
13 is a blind par 3, uphill sloping right to left and about 190 yards with another stupid green.
15 is all uphill with a really small tabletop green that is hard to hit in summer!

i do however normally score better round our back 9.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always struggle on our 1st and it's a basic straight slight uphill Par 4 320+ yards but into the wind which is either right across the fairway or in your face. From then it's the sig hole Par 3, long Par 4 3rd dog leg left sp 3 tough opening holes but we have 2 long Par 5's to finish on. Inbetween these the rest of the course is very scoreable (for me) so tend to score fairly well from 4 to 15, 16th being a tight Par 3. I find it difficult going into 16-18 needing to play well to card a decent score, especially if I've not done so well on the first 3 holes. Maybe it's a mentally thing with me now but would guess I score better on the front 9 without looking at last seasons stats.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The front 9 is more scoreable - front 8 in reality - every hole leaves, at most, an 8 iron approach. If you are on your game, it offers several birdie chances.

From 9 onwards, you're left with 5 or 6 holes which need a long iron into small greens. Prevailing is wind into all the way home too.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think our back 9 is easier although I don't have any stats to back that up.

The yardages of the holes don't suggest much of a problem but I'm not too unhappy if I've spent half my handicap after 5 holes.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Been a member at quite a few clubs due to moving around. Biggest difference in scoreability of the nines I think was at RAGC where the front is much easier when playing off the whites as the back has some very severe holes on it where proper length would be such a massive help 12,14,16,17 and arguably 18.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think it's generally accepted that our back 9 is much tougher than the front, however, if I start on the back I tend to have much better rounds 🤔

I personally divide my course into 3 banks of 6, I need and usually rack up some decent scores or points on the first 6 holes which then puts me in good health going into the middle 6 which if I come through those on handicap or better definitely gives me a chance of a decent round as the last 6 holes can destroy a decent card!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Our front 9 has several holes that can completely wreck a card but equally, has a few genuine birdie chances. The back 9 is more about length, or it feels like it. The fairways are definitely wider and you're less likely to be dead if you miss them.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Our back nine is tougher, even though it is par 34. Hardest par 3 (15), 4 (10) and 5 (13) on it, and a very dangerous final hole (especially if you are standing outside the Pro shop.:eek:)

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Very dependent on wind,back 9 has a few uphill par 4s comfortably over 400 yds that usually play into the wind,very tough going to make your 4.If you get them with the wind happy days!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been a member at quite a few clubs due to moving around. Biggest difference in scoreability of the nines I think was at RAGC where the front is much easier when playing off the whites as the back has some very severe holes on it where proper length would be such a massive help 12,14,16,17 and arguably 18.

The back nine does play harder and as you say when the wind is into, 12, 14 and 18 in particular can be tough

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think there is much in it at ours, but then I don't pay any attention to it. I'm sure if I bothered to look I'll see I score better on one nine than the other but I don't feel like that is the case. I prefer to take it hole by hole and see where I end up.