From three quarters to full swing

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the movement I should be feeling. I've read that it should be a continuation, but it just feels weird to me.

Unlike some others, I do lose distance by only being a 3/4 swinger.

Any words of wisdom?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure what you are asking, is it either
1. you are trying a 3/4 swing instead of the full swing
2. its a 3/4 swing for pitch shots etc shorter distances

or something else perhaps ?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologies. At the moment (I'm a beginner.... unofficial 28 handicapper) I do a 3/4 swing. It's reasonably consistent.

At the range, I've tried progressing to a full swing, but I rarely even connect with the ball. Struggling to think what's going wrong.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apologies. At the moment (I'm a beginner.... unofficial 28 handicapper) I do a 3/4 swing. It's reasonably consistent.

At the range, I've tried progressing to a full swing, but I rarely even connect with the ball. Struggling to think what's going wrong.

If your 3/4 swing is working stick to it and gradually build on it

Some people think they only do a 3/4 swing but when filmed its nearly a full swing !

Luke Donald has a more compact swing not far off a 3/4 swing

John Daly has a 1.1/4 swing overswing !

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
as above,should get the feeling of the left shoulder under the chin and thats it,and don't try and hit at the ball,it should just get in the way of your swing,so i've been told,

ezzy

Visit site
im new to golf and ive just gone from a 3/4 swing to a full swing hitting the ball twice as far, i used to hit a really stright driver now i have a full swing it keeps going right ?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
im new to golf and ive just gone from a 3/4 swing to a full swing hitting the ball twice as far, i used to hit a really stright driver now i have a full swing it keeps going right ?

Twice as far with a full swing compared to three quarters !!!, oh then I see you're new to golf.

It goes right because youre slicing/cutting the ball. A full swing is harder to control than three quarters. Beyond three quarters where the wrists break even more to a full swing means the club moves a lot more away from the body and has a long was to catch up. From here it's far harder to control the club and present the same shaft angle as it was at address to impact. Therefore your wrists will not set properly at impact leaving the club face open, hence a cut/slice.