From a once perfect driver to a massive slice why???

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sorry mate. Was getting head & hands in front of the ball @ impact.

Problem is, nailed it on the range. Can't hit a fairway for my life on the course. Damn game :confused:

Cheers,

Craig
ouchhh. Yeah that happens don't it. Play like tiger up the range. And tigger on the coarse. Lol.
Keep at it. I have made progress too now from a bad slice to a slight fade. And when I'm on point a little draw.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I agree.
Never hands in front with a driver

Oh dear.

Hands behind the ball = path going left (fade/slice), loss of lag, hands flipping. Maybe you should take a look at some of the pics on this page and re-evaluate what it is you THINK you know.....

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2011-09-pga-tour-grip-styles-part-2.html

Lots of pros DO flip the club though... but fortunately they have the swing speed to still get the ball out there at 300+ yds.

The pictures don't lie, and these guys don't play off a 28 h/cap either.....

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe you should take a look at some of the pics on this page and re-evaluate what it is you THINK you know.....

Sorry, I didn't realise this was about tour pros. I was talking about a golfer who has a bad slice.

You stand on a driving range and tell someone who slices to move his hands in front of the ball at impact and see how far he block slices.

I teach my golf on ranges with real people, I dont just read books.
We would all like to turn everyone into a tour golfer but in reality, on the range, we have to help people with what they have.
I suggest you take all your knowledge about the golf swing, take it onto the range for ten years then come back and tell me how much you think you know about teaching.

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
The pictures clearly state that AT address the hands are CLEARLY behind the ball.
So know I'm confused at who we are talking about. Luke Donald or. Some 28 handicapper who is struggling with his slice

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've created a monster!
Nooooo you haven't mucker lol.

I am surprised at justones sarcastic reply though. We should be helping each other not putting them down. The reason why we all play to different levels is because of what WE deem to be correct. So if someone has a different opinion then try to educate them not kick them when there down.
Bobmac is spot on and he is one of the guys who have helped me reduce my huge slice as I took his tip up the range and seen an instant change in my ball flight.

YES YOU HAVE CREATED A MONSTER. LOL ONLY JOKING.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've created a monster!

Not really, it's just a bit pointless telling someone with a 80mph swing path that is 20-30 degrees out to in with a clubface that is 30 + degrees open to move his/her hands in front of the ball at impact. All he/she will do is open the face more.
It is ok however for someone who has a good swing path, 120mph swing speed and a 9 deg driver.
That's the difference between teaching tour pros and helping people on here.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sorry, I didn't realise this was about tour pros. I was talking about a golfer who has a bad slice.

You stand on a driving range and tell someone who slices to move his hands in front of the ball at impact and see how far he block slices.

I teach my golf on ranges with real people, I dont just read books.
We would all like to turn everyone into a tour golfer but in reality, on the range, we have to help people with what they have.
I suggest you take all your knowledge about the golf swing, take it onto the range for ten years then come back and tell me how much you think you know about teaching.

I'm sure they're all rapturous when you turn their slice into a snap hook and say "See, you can get draw spin!"

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Nooooo you haven't mucker lol.

I am surprised at justones sarcastic reply though. We should be helping each other not putting them down. The reason why we all play to different levels is because of what WE deem to be correct. So if someone has a different opinion then try to educate them not kick them when there down.
Bobmac is spot on and he is one of the guys who have helped me reduce my huge slice as I took his tip up the range and seen an instant change in my ball flight.

YES YOU HAVE CREATED A MONSTER. LOL ONLY JOKING.

Hands behind the ball is a DEATH TRAP, it's taught by people who teach 'patches' but ultimately leave you with a crap swing and £30 lighter of pocket. Learn to control your path and your clubface and you'll have a decent game for life. If you're slicing then start by closing the clubface little by litte to bring it closer to the path you are swinging on (smaller face/path ratio = less curvature/slice)

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Oh dear.

Hands behind the ball = path going left (fade/slice), loss of lag, hands flipping. Maybe you should take a look at some of the pics on this page and re-evaluate what it is you THINK you know.....

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2011-09-pga-tour-grip-styles-part-2.html

Lots of pros DO flip the club though... but fortunately they have the swing speed to still get the ball out there at 300+ yds.

The pictures don't lie, and these guys don't play off a 28 h/cap either.....

Ditto maybe it's you who needs to re-evaluate what you THINK you know

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hands behind the ball is a DEATH TRAP, it's taught by people who teach 'patches' but ultimately leave you with a crap swing and £30 lighter of pocket. Learn to control your path and your clubface and you'll have a decent game for life. If you're slicing then start by closing the clubface little by litte to bring it closer to the path you are swinging on (smaller face/path ratio = less curvature/slice)

That's better.
But would that not just hide the problem and not fix it. That to me is a short term fix on the coarse. Not a long term one. ?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's better.
But would that not just hide the problem and not fix it. That to me is a short term fix on the coarse. Not a long term one. ?

No, first you need to learn to match your clubface closer to your path (so you get less curvature and keep the ball in play more often)... then work on making your path better.

You COULD be slicing purely based on the fact that you have a square clubface and are hitting the ball on the way UP, your path could also be very close to perfect in that case.... you only need to be hitting 4-5 degrees up with a square clubface to hit a mahooosive slice... I'm sure Bob has mentioned that... :smirk:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I prefer to address the swing path first but that's just me.

you only need to be hitting 4-5 degrees up with a square clubface to hit a mahooosive slice

Thats quite tricky to do if your swing path is out to in