From a once perfect driver to a massive slice why???

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all virgin post here

i was a really good driver of the ball always straight 98%of the time. Now I am terrible with it slice after slice. I think what I'm doing is my hands are getting in front of the club at impact or my shoulders are turning faster than my arms. Can anyone help me out please with some advice. I know the obvious is to get a lesson but would like your opinions firstly.
Thanks all

A

Alex1975

Hi all virgin post here

i was a really good driver of the ball always straight 98%of the time. Now I am terrible with it slice after slice. I think what I'm doing is my hands are getting in front of the club at impact or my shoulders are turning faster than my arms. Can anyone help me out please with some advice. I know the obvious is to get a lesson but would like your opinions firstly.
Thanks all

Bob is the person who would know as he is a PGA Pro ^^so do not wish to butt in but as you made some guesses as to the cause it seems you have tried to understand the problem with your swing mechanics which is cool. Where does the ball start? and I am guessing its ending in the cabbage on the right?!

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
No I miss the cabbage and hit the back of my head.
It starts straight. It was after I got custom fitted for my driver.
I hit so many balls that I got tired and swung lazy and it just stayed with me.
Ad before I never fad to think about my swing as it naturally went straight. Now I have to over think everything.

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
No I miss the cabbage and hit the back of my head.
It starts straight. It was after I got custom fitted for my driver.
I hit so many balls that I got tired and swung lazy and it just stayed with me.
And before I never had to think about my swing as it naturally went straight. Now I have to over think everything.

Sorry poor spelling and fat fingers got in the way so I corrected them.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bobs advice is golden.

I think technically it is because you are swinging out to in. Best way to explain it is if you stood behind the ball as you tee'd off the club would enter from the right and exit to the left. As with kicking a football with the outside of your boot.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It was after I got custom fitted for my driver.
Now I have to over think everything.

Why did you feel you needed to get Custom Fit when the Driver was going straight 98% of the time?

What makes you think you have to over-think everything? What happens with Fairway Woods? And irons? Do you swing and/or think the same?

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Erm ok I will try and answer your questions.
1, I had an old driver and thought new tech stuff ,further flight better dispersion.
I have to over think stuff now because I've lost my natural swing.
My irons are ok my wedges are very good.
Hope this helps you understand.

A

Alex1975

Starts straight and finishes right... I want to say lack of release.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Starts straight and finishes right... I want to say lack of release.

That's exactly where I am at present, trying to get my release sorted, getting there but it is a slow process.

I'll list the faults I had that caused/are still causing my slice:-

• Casting the club, throwing the club out at the start of the downswing like casting a fishing rod
  • Spinning shoulders to left of target to start the downswing, main result of this is point above (casting)
  • Leaning back at impact, not transferring weight correctly onto left foot.
  • No release, thus leading to open club face.
  • Right hand under left at impact, result open club face, see point above (Release)
  • Left arm chicken wing, result scooping the ball and right hand under left.
  • Early extension of right arm. Allowing right arm to come away from the body, thus out to in swing.

I've had all of the above at some point in time during the 18month period I've been having lessons and still have some now, but through practice and instruction I'm getting rid of them.

Last edited:

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi people I want to thank everyone for there help.
I played a round last week and although my driving was just as bad my playing partner did see a few errors in my swinging and I was tending to lift up through the swing to look for my ball. And not releasing properly.
So I went up the range straight after my round and just took my driver. All I concentrated on was keeping my head down until my right shoulder forced me to look up. Although that was making me release early it gave me a platform to work on.
So I am going to get a few playing lessons to as my irons on the fairway are really accurate at the minute but can't hit off the tee so that tells me I'm changing my swing to much.
Please feel free to comment on what I have said. And again thanks to all.

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Started to look at fixing my horrid slice this week. And just about got it. I think with a lesson it would be sorted.
I have noticed that my shoulders was out of line with my feet.what triggered my thoughts was that I read somewhere that my club will always follow the line of my shoulders.
So I concentrated on keeping my shoulders down. And now I have nearly got my distance back and reduce my horrid slice to a playable fade.
Thanks again to the forum and the mag

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Get a Lesson fella - you'll benefit more from 30 mins with a decent pro than hours tying to fix it yourself - plus you'll get your confidence back which is probably the most important thing you need.

Mark mizuno

Medal Winner
Visit site
Get a Lesson fella - you'll benefit more from 30 mins with a decent pro than hours tying to fix it yourself - plus you'll get your confidence back which is probably the most important thing you need.

Yes I will deffo get a lesson soon. Plus I've just renewed my membership of my local coarse. So I will get a couple of air miles in first to loosen me up then get a pro to look at it.
Mans your right about confidence. I am getting it back now and happy to attack the driver.