From 40yds and in question.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive found with chipping and pitching, its all about the take away.you get better results with a wider , clubhead back straight action than if you turn it inside... if that makes sense.

Not the "all about" but agree with this re a wider takeaway. Then turn the chest to the target, keep the club face pointing at the sky on the follow through and bingo.

At least thats how I do it, and without a short game I'd be off about 18!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
At least thats how I do it, and without a short game I'd be off about 18!

In my last two games my short game has been beyond belief for me, possibly the best it's ever been, yet on Sunday I was at our chipping green for about an hour and was lucky to get a chip the whole time within 4 or 5 feet, what a strange game this is.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you try my drill?

Not yet, Bob, but I'm playing tomorrow, (weather permitting), so will try it at the range for a while before I play.
I must say that all the help I've received here has been totally overwhelming and I'm just so grateful.
What a fabulous forum this is ............................. if you avoid the footie and political threads!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not yet, Bob, but I'm playing tomorrow, (weather permitting), so will try it at the range for a while before I play.
I must say that all the help I've received here has been totally overwhelming and I'm just so grateful.
What a fabulous forum this is ............................. if you avoid the footie and political threads!

Not a bad place at all. Try Bob's drill and I'm sure it'll sort you and try not to take too many thoughts with you on the course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what is the bounce angle on those wedges?

i used to dig massive foot long divots in winter with my low bounce wedges.

weapons in the wrong hands. lol

D

Deleted member 16999

You may need more than one practice session to get comfortable and confident with the technique
Bob, is this drill simply about technique for any distance or close to the green only?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, is this drill simply about technique for any distance or close to the green only?

The wrist hinge increases the clubhead speed so not really meant for close in unless using a Lw to go over bunkers etc.
But the technique can be adapted for all sorts of distances by altering the club used, the length of swing, the ball position and the hand position on the grip etc

D

Deleted member 16999

The wrist hinge increases the clubhead speed so not really meant for close in unless using a Lw to go over bunkers etc.
But the technique can be adapted for all sorts of distances by altering the club used, the length of swing, the ball position and the hand position on the grip etc
Cheers :thup:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, that was unexpected!!
Played today and only managed to duff one chip ............................ BOOM!
My chipping was much better today, and I mean much better.
I decided chipping was far superior to pitching when given the choice.
I managed to chip two shots stone dead and even chipped in on one hole.
I'd had ¾ of an hour of chipping practice before going onto the course which did my confidence the world of good. I tried some of the suggestion I'd got in this thread as well as Bob's very useful drill.
The main change was to avoid picking the club up quickly with wrists cocked and swinging around my body.
My takeaway was low to the ground, as was my follow through. My club went through straight at my target, i.e. not following through to the left, and I tried to keep my loft after impact ................... if that makes sense.
Essentially it was close to a long putting stroke. Wrist hinge was minimal and only increased slightly for longer shots. I didn't care about pace, it was all about making good contact with the ball, which I found easier than expected.
Happy bunny.
Many thanks to you all :thup:.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The great thing is, once you get it, it's easy and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

You have to decide whether to learn one technique and use different clubs or choose one club and alter the technique, or even a bit of both.

But the key to this is feel and that only comes with good technique and practice.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not read all the posts, but mate I regularly play with is a great chipper in the summer from our firm fairways. He uses the bounce of the club, ball off the front foot and even though strike doesn’t sound great, results are impressive.

In the winter when ground wet he fats nearly all his chips.:eek: Using the bounce seems to work on firm fairways, but perhaps not so good on wet ones ?Perhaps a more descending blow required to guarantee ball first ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well, that was unexpected!!
Played today and only managed to duff one chip ............................ BOOM!
My chipping was much better today, and I mean much better.
I decided chipping was far superior to pitching when given the choice.
I managed to chip two shots stone dead and even chipped in on one hole.
I'd had ¾ of an hour of chipping practice before going onto the course which did my confidence the world of good. I tried some of the suggestion I'd got in this thread as well as Bob's very useful drill.
The main change was to avoid picking the club up quickly with wrists cocked and swinging around my body.
My takeaway was low to the ground, as was my follow through. My club went through straight at my target, i.e. not following through to the left, and I tried to keep my loft after impact ................... if that makes sense.
Essentially it was close to a long putting stroke. Wrist hinge was minimal and only increased slightly for longer shots. I didn't care about pace, it was all about making good contact with the ball, which I found easier than expected.
Happy bunny.
Many thanks to you all :thup:.

Top man. Now keep it going

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The great thing is, once you get it, it's easy and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

You have to decide whether to learn one technique and use different clubs or choose one club and alter the technique, or even a bit of both.

But the key to this is feel and that only comes with good technique and practice.

I'm aiming for one chipping technique but with different clubs for different distances with fairly small changes in length of swing.
For me, I think it was the shallow arc with quiet wrists that was the kicker.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not read all the posts, but mate I regularly play with is a great chipper in the summer from our firm fairways. He uses the bounce of the club, ball off the front foot and even though strike doesn’t sound great, results are impressive.

In the winter when ground wet he fats nearly all his chips.:eek: Using the bounce seems to work on firm fairways, but perhaps not so good on wet ones ?Perhaps a more descending blow required to guarantee ball first ?

Yep, I play chip shots in a similar way and in the summer, off firm fairways, it works really well. Winter not so much :rofl:

Tend to use less loft in winter when i can or hit down on it to get the ball first.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No.
The only time you dont break your wrists is when you are around the fringe and close to the flag.

Try this drill.

[video=youtube;NA8aMPqdmbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8aMPqdmbY&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7 ZWYEmPOyW&index=3[/video]

The idea is to try and hit the ball UNDER the club shaft.
If you get it right, the ball will go OVER the club shaft.
Note how the clubhead is higher on the backswing than it is on the followthrough (think high to low) and make sure you turn through the shot

A brilliant drill this

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm only just getting used to winter chipping and have had to alter my technique significantly.

During summer I was using one of my Vokey wedges and getting good results, in the winter this invariably results in a fat. Played last weekend and used my PW for every chip just altering how open the face is in addition to swing length and chipped better than I ever have before.