From 40yds and in question.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
When you are looking to hit 40 yard pitch, I think you need to start to have a slight wrist hinge.

i would say the most important thing to feel is your chest rotating on the downswing, exaggerate the move to get your chest facing the target, I feel like the hands stay out of it and it’s a body release. Almost like the hinge and hold that Mickelson has talked about before, slight wrist hinge going back then fire the chest through.

When the ground is wet and strike feels more challenging, I feel like I shorten the backswing slightly and then just turn the chest through, the last thing I want is a longer swing and decelerate or get wristy at impact.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
Just to fill in some details before my question.
I played on Sunday on a pretty damp course but no temp greens.
I shot 27 points and then I counted up my duffed chips.
16 duffed chips ........................ and I mean duffed.
I'm talking from 40yds and in and a duffed chip is one that fails to get at least near the green.
Some only went a few yards and three of them went about 3 inches with my club sliding straight under the ball which was on a pretty muddy bare lie!!!!
On one par 3 my tee shot finished about 10 feet from the green, my first putt was my 5th shot!
So, here's the question;
When pitching or chipping from 40yds and in should I prevent my wrists from breaking?
Please all give me the same answer.

It sounds like also you might have some issues due to lateral movement and weight shifting.

Unlike full shots, with chipping and shorter pitches lateral movement will cause inconsistency of strike, so you want to feel like your weight is favouring your left side and then keep it there through the swing, like you could almost hit shots with your right foot off the ground.

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
I find that no wrist break is fine for short chips but does not work for me beyond a certain distance. For the longer shots I like the hinge and hold. There is a great butch harmon video on this on YT.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson about 2 years ago on pitching and found zero wrist hinge with simply rotating through helped me immensely. I ending up by doing this using the bounce of the club more and striking it much better with a nicer trajectory.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Just my 2c

Its a confidence thing, find somewhere to practice the kind of shot you're having a problem with, think back to when you wouldn't have a problem with this kind of shot and think in the same way. What works for one guy wont work for everyone. Once you've figured out the best way to play it, practice it and have trust in it once out on the course.

I bet after a few duffed chips, the only thing on your mind was another duffed chip?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One word.
Turn.
I really struggled with my short game and only improved my strike when I was taught to turn through the shot. Before then it was all duffs and thins.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive found with chipping and pitching, its all about the take away.you get better results with a wider , clubhead back straight action than if you turn it inside... if that makes sense.

D

Deleted member 21258

At that distance, tend to keep arms straight and no wrist hinge/cocking.

Last year I even tried the same technique upto about 60 yards(shoulder height with SW, hard to swing any higher whilst keeping arms straight), surprising accurate and controlled. Not sure why I stopped it.

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
Would also point out that after spending hours watching YT videos on chipping and pitching there are clearly many different methods advocated!

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I struggled with this last year on wet ground, was using a 60 degree with 5 degree of bounce and had ball at back of stance.

Changed to a 10 degree bounce in both my 60 and 56 degree club, moved ball forward a bit, tried to keep a nice even tempo, body quiet and brush the turf, rather than dig, make sure right forearm gets through the ball, as if throwing a ball on to the green.... it has been one of the better part of my game this winter.

Good luck.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
For me this time of the when the ground is really soft I stand closer to the ball which brings the heal slightly up, open the face a little to expose more bounce and not necessary lock the wrist but minimise the hinge and turn through the shot. Works for me

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Struggled with this, problem was too much shaft lean and being too quick on the way down. Changes I have made include:

- moving ball forward slightly utilising the bounce of the wedge
- ensure hands are over the ball
- weight predominantly over the left side
- turning shoulders back and through the ball (don't try and lift body - stay in shot)
- don't lift head...!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slime,
How many of your properly struck chips went significantly past the hole?
Others have commented at length on technique but for many the cause of their issues with these shots is that they are trying to finesse it close rather than simply aiming to dial in a distance and accept the outcome of that shot.

None significantly past!

Just my 2c

Its a confidence thing, find somewhere to practice the kind of shot you're having a problem with, think back to when you wouldn't have a problem with this kind of shot and think in the same way. What works for one guy wont work for everyone. Once you've figured out the best way to play it, practice it and have trust in it once out on the course.

I bet after a few duffed chips, the only thing on your mind was another duffed chip?

Oh, it's much worse than that!
If I'm within 200yds of the green I'm telling myself that I ABSOLUTELY MUST find the green, otherwise I'm effectively going to pitch or chip myself out of the hole!
It's that bad.
I have a game on Thursday and I'm already sweating over it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
None significantly past!

If I'm within 200yds of the green I'm telling myself that I ABSOLUTELY MUST find the green, otherwise I'm effectively going to pitch or chip myself out of the hole!
It's that bad.

I think based on your last sentence you are in for a torrid time. Too much pressure and already overthinking and worrying about it (and it's something I've been guilty of and talk from bitter experience)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's that bad.

Did you try my drill?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a Lesson on this yesterday and by the end it felt like id got an idea of what to do

make sure I stand the shaft up rather than lean it forward to keep the loft
open my stance slightly to keep movement to a minimum
take a couple practice swings looking at the target , try and feel like im trying to throw the ball there... and when I have what feels like enough power to make it there then recreate that feeling on the shot