Foursomes with a Pro... any last bit of advice?

BunkerPlayer

Visit site
Today I am playing in the first round of a foursome knockout at my new(ish) club. I'm playing with a lad who is off +2.1. I've played with some "good" golfers over the years but never anyone with a plus handicap... I've also never had such a good golfer be dependant on my golf either (I'm off 13). I've been a little nervous because although I've been playing quite well recently, whenever one of those shocking shots come out, I've been thinking "imagine doing that when I am playing with him".

Any tips, advice? I must admit I am now more excited for the round than nervous, I am going to try and enjoy it seeing someone play at such a good standard who I have not paid to watch ;-)

The one thought I have strategy wise is surely if I play my 8 out of 10 shot then I will be putting a player of that ability in with a chance to hit a green near enough every time? So don't balls up basically and he will bring the magic right?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't apologise for your bad shots, he will (possibly) leave you in a bad position at some time. Also, don't try and copy his game and shots, play your own game and don't try wonder shots.

Above all, enjoy it and maybe treat it as a free lesson in how to manage the course?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I would be playing pretty safe and let him do the rest. There might be holes where you would normally hit driver, but with him you could just hit a fairway finder with a shorter club, and he could be perfectly comfortable hitting to the green from further back. You can discuss a strategy for your teeing holes before the first match - ask him what yardages he's comfortable hitting the green from, and as I say, he may be happy to hit from further back if it makes it much more likely you put him on the fairway.

Aside from that - never apologise or feel bad for hitting a bad shot just because it's foursomes. It doesn't matter who you're playing with, nobody hits a bad shot on purpose. You're a team so you just deal with each shot as it comes.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The only pressure you are under is the pressure you are putting on yourself.

Your partner knows your handicap and is not expecting you to hit every shot perfect.

Relax, enjoy yourself and try to keep the ball in play to give him a shot.

My Foursomes partner is off +4, I’m off 12 and like you I was a bag of nerves, worried about letting him down, he was the complete opposite, totally relaxed, put no pressure on me at all.

We won our Club championship (5 rounds) and are now through to the Regional Comp.

Enjoy the experience, you can’t and won’t match him, ask for his advice on your putts and also discuss your Club choice on some holes, he may rather you lay up or just go for it, use him.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally I would be playing pretty safe and let him do the rest. There might be holes where you would normally hit driver, but with him you could just hit a fairway finder with a shorter club, and he could be perfectly comfortable hitting to the green from further back. You can discuss a strategy for your teeing holes before the first match - ask him what yardages he's comfortable hitting the green from, and as I say, he may be happy to hit from further back if it makes it much more likely you put him on the fairway.

Aside from that - never apologise or feel bad for hitting a bad shot just because it's foursomes. It doesn't matter who you're playing with, nobody hits a bad shot on purpose. You're a team so you just deal with each shot as it comes.
200 yards probably

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To the people who are recommending he should keep it in play, can they tell me a time when the best strategy is to put it out of play?
Presumably when not playing with a low handicapper I should put it out of play?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To the people who are recommending he should keep it in play, can they tell me a time when the best strategy is to put it out of play?
I think it's pretty obvious and you might be kidding, but just in case...
When playing on my own I tend to hit driver on most mid-length par 4s because I prefer to be hitting less than 150 yards into the green. But if I was playing foursomes with someone who's happy to hit, say, 180 yards into greens, then I could potentially hit a fairway wood off the tee on a few holes and improve my chances of keeping it on the fairway.

PaulMdj

Visit site
You’re being a pedant! You know exactly what is meant! There maybe a hazard short of the green and he may normally take the hazard on, talk to his partner and possibly play the sensible shot rather than risk going in the hazard.
I’m 100% sure you know what you’re doing and there’s no need when people are trying to be helpful.

evemccc

Visit site
Repeating your own idea - and what’s been repeated here - play sensibly, don’t hit hero shots, don’t force anything and don’t compound errors —- you’ll play less than perfect shots as 13 handicaps do - but he will expecting that and will be remarkably good at rescuing / getting up & down relative to a 13 handicap

Enjoy the experience! It’s rare to play with someone that good

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You’re being a pedant! You know exactly what is meant! There maybe a hazard short of the green and he may normally take the hazard on, talk to his partner and possibly play the sensible shot rather than risk going in the hazard.
I’m 100% sure you know what you’re doing and there’s no need when people are trying to be helpful.
I am being slightly facetious but not pedantic.
My point is that the optimum shot at any one point in time is almost always dependant on the ability of the person taking that shot rather than the person taking the next shot.
Encouraging someone to 'keep it out of trouble' often encourages steering and a poor shot , generally you should play your natural game if your game has poor strategy then this is true for all of your game and not because you are playing with a low handicapper. Th OP may well find out some valuable general strategy points but in general I would think they should play their own game.

BunkerPlayer

Visit site
Cheers for the replies, was debating whether it was interesting enough to create a thread but it has been helpful... particularly the apologising thing - I probably would have gone down that road but will probably make a joke when I meet him before and then just play my game...

Think I will try and play my normal game as much as possible but wont take on risks that I know he can comfortably put us on in reg for example. Looking forward to having his input though, happy to take his advice on club or line etc. unless its something that doesn't feel like a shot I could comfortably make.

sjw

Visit site
I played with a scratch golfer a couple of weeks ago - and he had an absolute shocker. Shot about 10 over and topped a couple of drives when he was trying to get after them too much. It happens to everyone so as you've already worked out, just go and play. Someone who is off +2 will be able to appreciate higher handicap golf

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You will probably end up in places when he drives where you have not been before. Obvious but think about that.

Have not read the whole thread but consider which is better for you playing the odd or even holes. He should probably worked that out.

Good luck and please let us know the result and of course a report

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the replies, was debating whether it was interesting enough to create a thread but it has been helpful... particularly the apologising thing - I probably would have gone down that road but will probably make a joke when I meet him before and then just play my game...

Think I will try and play my normal game as much as possible but wont take on risks that I know he can comfortably put us on in reg for example. Looking forward to having his input though, happy to take his advice on club or line etc. unless its something that doesn't feel like a shot I could comfortably make.
My partner in the mixed foursomes always says "sorry sorry sorry" before she hits the first ball of the day to get them out of the way before we begin. 😄

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Today I am playing in the first round of a foursome knockout at my new(ish) club. I'm playing with a lad who is off +2.1. I've played with some "good" golfers over the years but never anyone with a plus handicap... I've also never had such a good golfer be dependant on my golf either (I'm off 13). I've been a little nervous because although I've been playing quite well recently, whenever one of those shocking shots come out, I've been thinking "imagine doing that when I am playing with him".

Any tips, advice? I must admit I am now more excited for the round than nervous, I am going to try and enjoy it seeing someone play at such a good standard who I have not paid to watch ;-)

The one thought I have strategy wise is surely if I play my 8 out of 10 shot then I will be putting a player of that ability in with a chance to hit a green near enough every time? So don't balls up basically and he will bring the magic right?
Just play your game at the end of the day , play the shot you think is the right one and then just speak to him

Even a plus HC will have mistakes in them

Also decide which holes you feel more comfortable teeing off

At our place they always say the better player went of the odds but my normal partner always felt comfortable going off the odds

I normally just ask the person to take the club the feel most happy with and I’ll see what I can do from there