• Try my best to avoid it

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!!

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
After the USA having a nightmare in the foursomes, which undoubtably cost them the Ryder Cup, I was just wondering what the general feeling is towards this format.

i wouldn't say it is my favourite, but I do enjoy the challenge that it brings.

So what is your opinion on it?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's tough! You need to have a good relationship with your playing partner and encourage each other. Any negativity and your'e toast.

We have a local open that thats Bogy Foursomes. Thats a tough one !

Holey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Our winter league running from Nov - Feb is foursomes. It's a good laugh and keeps me swinging a club regularly through the winter

G

guest100718

only ever played greensomes, rather than proper foursomes. It was OK, but if PP is having an off day its hard work.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No problem with the format really, but it doesn't seem to be a full round of Golf! I always get the feeling I've bee cheated out of some Golf! Greensomes is marginally better, but similar applies.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Our summer pairs KO is foursomes. It's just different.....suddenly having a 6 footer for a half on the 10th when you haven't had a putt since the 3rd for example! Suppose I'd not be alone in saying I'd never just rack up at the course with 3 mates and say "I know, let's play foursomes".....and that speaks volumes. It's probably a necessary evil but basically rubbish!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hardest form of golf there is. Play it loads when playing for the scratch team and I have probably won more matches in this format than I have in the afternoon singles. However, it does help if your regular partner is a ninja around the greens.

Probably not a format for the very high handicapper, or those of a nervous disposition that might be worried where they are going to leave their partner for his/her next shot.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't mind it, we have an LGU foursomes comp where you can qualify for the final at St Andrews so a good incentive, also one of the Manchester and District interclub knockouts is a mixed foursomes. It certainly helps if you have a partner who is playing well.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I voted 'Hate it, hate it, hate it'. I find it difficult to keep my swing and my putting going when I am only playing every other shot, and it's embarrassing when you dump your partner into trouble. Still, if the Yanks can't play it in the Ryder Cup, it must have something going for it! :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like it. It is a proper team version of golf where you are relying on your partner as much as yourself and you can't hide if you are having a bad day. Perhaps the negativity towards the format shows how golfers by their nature tend to be solitary and do not like to be reliant on other people. I came from a team sport background and only started playing golf when my knees gave way. Playing foursomes takes me back to the old days for me. I wouldn't want to play it all the time but it is good for a change.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Love it. Played scratch foursomes for years with my best buddy in the Bristol and District League. The toughest form of golf and really good I think for my golf thinking and course management - you need these when you and your partner are mid-single figures and your are playing low single figure players - victory is sweet. Last two years we've played in the Tom Long Open at Minchinhampton Golf Club - three rounds of foursomes over the three Minchinhampton courses in a day - tough but fun.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We only have one foursomes comp and I hate it. Having said that, my partner and I came 2nd in it, two weeks ago, and that with an 8 on the card on a par 4!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find foursomes matchplay extremely an enjoyable experience at my home club

Visiting another club to experience the course etc it plain sucks; it's that simple. The exception is after lunch & after we've played the course in the morning when it's a better option than 'another 18'.

As ever there's also the exception to the above; when competing with a purpose ie visiting as a match or competition round.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Makes a nice change from the usual although don't play it much. Couple of county knockout events in the year but that's it. Do like the challenge as it's pretty unforgiving - rewarding though when you and your partner gel. A friend and I knocked it round an away course 1 under to stuff an arrogant ex-pro and his mate which is still one of my favourite rounds.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hardest form of golf there is. Play it loads when playing for the scratch team and I have probably won more matches in this format than I have in the afternoon singles. However, it does help if your regular partner is a ninja around the greens.

Probably not a format for the very high handicapper, or those of a nervous disposition that might be worried where they are going to leave their partner for his/her next shot.

Ditto.