Forum meets 2021

Zig

Visit site
Ganton is a lovely name to throw out but the green fee might be prohibitive for some in comparison with other courses mentioned. Ideally we would go to a club where one of us is a member and ideally get a reduced rate of some form.

If the demand for Ganton is there then fair enough, I just thought I'd raise that as something to think about.
Played Ganton last summer on their 4PM twilight offer. Think it was 55 quid, and we had the course to ourselves. Heaven.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a great offer thank you. I see they’ve recently hiked their GFs too, so it’s especially helpful of you.

Seaton could be teamed with Ganton, Cleveland and/or Hartlepool. Be good to see who is interested for that?

That aside, I can also come and have a round with you when lockdown is over anyway (I’m in Liverpool, so yes an easy weekend).

If enough are interested, we could all do a day at my club North Wales in Llandudno. Plenty of places to eat in town too after...
Eat? You’re not gonna do too well on here with that kind of attitude! ?

I’ve not played NorthWales so it’d be good to get a game there. Already looking forward to it ??

Zig

Visit site
Ah, the joy of links golf. Fair point ?
Played a few times in the xmas holidays when it was bl**** freezing and with a 20mph northerly - it's a tough game into the wind on a back nine.

I'll be looking for one of those rare days when it's 20 degrees with a wind you can stand up in. :)

Zig

Visit site
There would be no arguments at that price. I've never played it, is it worth the plaudits?

I think so. Great design/mix of holes, not overly penal. Fantastic (and untouched for decades) clubhouse/changing. Feels very much like being transported back in time 60 or 70 years. It looks like there's a lot of winter investment going in there too - the (newish) greenkeeper is pretty prolific on twitter! Rightly proud of his place of work!

Was a good shout too about other places in the NE where you could get members guest rates.

Let's hope people are safe and the covid rules relaxed enough by the summer for some to go ahead!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I’ve not played NorthWales so it’d be good to get a game there. Already looking forward to it ??

I’m assuming he means eating a kebab on the way back to the hotel after a skinfull

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
When we're in a bit of a better place I'm happy to arrange a small northern meet up... was a thread around xmas time on the same topic. I play at Seaton Carew, so that could be the venue if anyone's interested? Don't know if anyone else 'up north' would be interested in putting something on alongside so we could have two consecutive days at different locations?

Very interested.

Reactions: Zig

The Lion

Visit site
Ganton is a lovely name to throw out but the green fee might be prohibitive for some in comparison with other courses mentioned. Ideally we would go to a club where one of us is a member and ideally get a reduced rate of some form.

If the demand for Ganton is there then fair enough, I just thought I'd raise that as something to think about.

A good point. I was actually thinking more of the twilight rate, as I too wouldn’t pay £130 a round. No chance!

Twilight has now shifted north to £70 though, the greedy sods, but if we get a group together we may be able to get it for less, with food and a pint thrown in too.

Incidentally their website is a bit like the club, ancient! It took so long to load you’d imagine they still got dial-up!

I take it you guys prefer beer to food ? lol. As for North Wales, you’re all welcome. Just need to get Covid out of the way first.

There are some great trips you can do around North Wales and the golf is better than almost anywhere when you factor in the reasonable prices.

RSD, Aberdovey, Conwy all beckon too, plus there are many hidden cuties like Nefyn, Porthmadog (heaven!), Abersoch, Borth, Holywell, Prestatyn, Holyhead, Pwllheli, Bull Bay & Anglesey, plus even fun courses like Machynlleth, Rhyl, Baron Hill and Penmaenmawr, all 9 holers.

Last edited:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
When we're in a bit of a better place I'm happy to arrange a small northern meet up... was a thread around xmas time on the same topic. I play at Seaton Carew, so that could be the venue if anyone's interested? Don't know if anyone else 'up north' would be interested in putting something on alongside so we could have two consecutive days at different locations?

I had a day in 2017 where we played Seaton and Hartlepool and it was amazing. Would also love to play Cleveland. As you say when things pick up a few northern overnighters would be great.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I take it you guys prefer beer to food ? lol. As for North Wales, you’re all welcome. Just need to get Covid out of the way first.

There are some great trips you can do around North Wales and the golf is better than almost anywhere when you factor in the reasonable prices.

RSD, Aberdovey, Conwy all beckon too, plus there are many hidden cuties like Nefyn, Porthmadog (heaven!), Abersoch, Borth, Holywell, Prestatyn, Holyhead, Pwllheli, Bull Bay & Anglesey, plus even fun courses like Machynlleth, Rhyl, Baron Hill and Penmaenmawr, all 9 holers.

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/north-wales-suggestions.107758/ (y)(y)(y)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

Is Throston still going up there?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep. It's OK for people getting started. Not somewhere I'd pay to play though with all the other options locally.

I was always confused by it, they built the clubhouse but then just didn’t finish it. After posting the question yesterday I read some recent reviews of it and it seems to have gone downhill quite a lot. I think I last played it 6/7 years ago. Before I moved down south I lived in Bishop Cuthbert so it was always handy to go for a quick round. I haven’t played any of the other local courses, but I imagine they are all far superior from what I have heard.

I might have to plan a trip up if there is a good local meet going on, especially if Seaton is on the list.

Reactions: Zig