Forum meets 2021

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
To have something much needed to look forward to just wanted to pick your collective brains about what's happened in the past for these types of meet ups.

The ideal would be to try and arrange a couple of days - maybe one north and one south? with some subsidised green fees. It might not be 36 holes
at Sunningdale for £40 (with sausage sandwiches and apple crumble thrown in) but hopefully we could sort something decent for not too much.

Just to have an idea and something to plan towards..

Where have these happened historically?
How many played in each one, roughly?
How many would be keen - just a very general show of hands?
And where would you be coming from?

We can look at dates, formats and drinks orders when we have some sort of idea when we can actually leave our houses let alone tip lager tops into our respective
heads after 26 points.

Cheers
Mark

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Have you considered a few regional meets, with a grand final for the top X finishers in each?

Maybe next year and beyond when things are a bit more normal, more a chance for people to get together and meet up for now

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would be keen on a northern meet, travelling from Northumberland.

Not sure there has been a northern meet as such. Hobbit organised a couple at Cleveland GC that had 40 odd golfers play, not sure of the mix of forum and others. That would be the nearest I can think of but on the whole it happens regionally, ie NE England, NW England, Scotland etc in terms of meets north of Brum.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mark,

there are a few meets that have already been arranged for this year.

I have taken over the Old Farts v Whippersnappers at Forest Pines in May
there is a 2 day trip to East Sussex National planned for the summer
Papas1982 has sorted out 2 days playing Woking and New Zealand in July.
Smiffy has sorted out a trip to Cooden Beach for later July
Plus there is the Help 4 Heroes charity day that's usually in September.

I was thinking of getting an idea of numbers for a Celtic Manor trip in 2022, if the world hasn't ended by then

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id be open to playing anywhere, Worcester based so quite central!

The RickG memorial round is no longer happening as Fish has left us... That was held in August this year! Could be a nice summer trip to arrange?

D

Deleted member 21258

What a great gesture. (y)

I'm in Shropshire, anywhere in the midlands or north west would be great for me. Plenty of quality links courses around here, I've never played wallasey;):LOL:

I done one at Woburn, had about 20-24 people attend IIRC, done a very small one at Conwy.

Some of the forum meets have upto 100 people attending, like H4H or the Glyns mega top trips

Nice weather is nice!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Mark,

there are a few meets that have already been arranged for this year.

I have taken over the Old Farts v Whippersnappers at Forest Pines in May
there is a 2 day trip to East Sussex National planned for the summer
Papas1982 has sorted out 2 days playing Woking and New Zealand in July.
Smiffy has sorted out a trip to Cooden Beach for later July
Plus there is the Help 4 Heroes charity day that's usually in September.

I was thinking of getting an idea of numbers for a Celtic Manor trip in 2022, if the world hasn't ended by then

Great, I saw the Woking day on a thread. How many play in these days?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I might travel south for a “northern” meet :ROFLMAO:
I had to re-write my post to avoid the obvious potential error, although I may still have made it slightly :D.

I suspect logically the division would be Scotland, N of England, S of England. It is asking a lot for the northern Scottish contingent to travel to Yorkshire for example in the same way that expecting people from Liverpool to travel to Aberdeen is a stretch. It would be nice to include as many as possible without reducing it down to multiple mini meets, which is something I can fully understand Mark is looking to avoid. That is for us to organise, not him. A simple north / south is even easier, choosing where is more difficult (I'm hoping, hint hint, the northern meet is at his own club, Moor Allerton (y). That is worth the drive for)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I had to re-write my post to avoid the obvious potential error, although I may still have made it slightly :D.

I suspect logically the division would be Scotland, N of England, S of England. It is asking a lot for the northern Scottish contingent to travel to Yorkshire for example in the same way that expecting people from Liverpool to travel to Aberdeen is a stretch. It would be nice to include as many as possible without reducing it down to multiple mini meets, which is something I can fully understand Mark is looking to avoid. That is for us to organise, not him. A simple north / south is even easier, choosing where is more difficult (I'm hoping, hint hint, the northern meet is at his own club, Moor Allerton (y). That is worth the drive for)

I can definitely ask Moortown, Wallasey was another early possible - Scotland would be great and, as you say, would make sense rather than expecting people to troop 'down south'.