FootJoy Giveaway

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Something to lift the spirits a little hopefully. Every week you'll get the chance to win this FootJoy thermal mug and all you've got to do to win the first offering is describe your most
unfortunate opening tee shot.

Mine would be shanking one across the 18th fairway at Wimbledon Park in the 1991 Nations Cup and having to play my second shot from a practice bunker that wasn't even part of
the 18th hole.

We'll pick a winner next Friday 23rd and then go again....

FJ Mug.jpg

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Something to lift the spirits a little hopefully. Every week you'll get the chance to win this FootJoy thermal mug and all you've got to do to win the first offering is describe your most......

Wait, you only get to keep it for a week ! :eek: That's gotta be some mug. Hope it gets washed between winners :D

benjo09

Visit site
I've hit some bad ones but Saturday's has to be the worst. I've just joined a club for the first time in years and checked in with the head teaching pro who I had just met for the first time. I was off mid afternoon as most tee times were booked for the medal and as such the patio area was fairly busy with people having a drink after their round.

I see the head teaching pro looking out the window of the shop and think to myself 'Better not screw this up!'. Its a fairly simple dog leg left opening hole that's quite wide so as long as I make solid contact it will get down there somewhere and I can walk off the tee breathing a sigh of relief. 3 wood in hand I address the ball.

Well in my efforts to absolutely crush it I got too quick with my tempo, didn't transfer my weight properly and hung back, making contact with the turf around 3ft before the ball. The biggest roll of turf flies up and clears the ladies tees at the end of the tee box while the ball remained balanced on it's tee peg (I'm a picker so any divot over a couple of inches is big for me and this was over a foot long!). The patio fell silent and I wanted the ground to swallow me up. I quickly ran to replace the divot and then hit the shot I expected the first time straight down the middle.

I was going to enquire about a few lessons after the round to brush up on a few parts of my game but think I might leave it a few weeks now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alnmouth Village GC, a 200yd par 3. Raised tee box in front of the club house with the general public walking past, the next group waiting to go off, others watching after having finished their round. I took my shot, skimmed the very top of the ball, it slowly trickled off the tee, slowly moved forwards to the front off the tee box, just made it to the edge and tipped over, similar to that Tiger Woods putt that waited and then dropped. It was the slow motion aspect of it that was so crippling. Then the shame of going across to the side, waiting for the others to take their tee shots, taking an iron out of the bag and shuffling back to hit my second on the downslope of the tee box. All played in front of other golfers in deathly silence, no one wanting to look you in the eye :cry:. Crushing.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing at Filey a couple of years ago, made a total mess of my drive, it looped up in the air, went due left about 50 yards, and landed on another green, just as this couple were about to putt. Must have frightened the life out of them even though 1 had shouted Fore. I waved my apologies, reloaded, and promptly did exactly the same thing again!

I was mortified, I walked over, picked both my balls up, mumbled an apology, and walked off into the distance, with the couple staring at me open-mouthed.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Alnmouth Village GC, a 200yd par 3. Raised tee box in front of the club house with the general public walking past, the next group waiting to go off, others watching after having finished their round. I took my shot, skimmed the very top of the ball, it slowly trickled off the tee, slowly moved forwards to the front off the tee box, just made it to the edge and tipped over, similar to that Tiger Woods putt that waited and then dropped. It was the slow motion aspect of it that was so crippling. Then the shame of going across to the side, waiting for the others to take their tee shots, taking an iron out of the bag and shuffling back to hit my second on the downslope of the tee box. All played in front of other golfers in deathly silence, no one wanting to look you in the eye :cry:. Crushing.

Make par?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I've hit some bad ones but Saturday's has to be the worst. I've just joined a club for the first time in years and checked in with the head teaching pro who I had just met for the first time. I was off mid afternoon as most tee times were booked for the medal and as such the patio area was fairly busy with people having a drink after their round.

I see the head teaching pro looking out the window of the shop and think to myself 'Better not screw this up!'. Its a fairly simple dog leg left opening hole that's quite wide so as long as I make solid contact it will get down there somewhere and I can walk off the tee breathing a sigh of relief. 3 wood in hand I address the ball.

Well in my efforts to absolutely crush it I got too quick with my tempo, didn't transfer my weight properly and hung back, making contact with the turf around 3ft before the ball. The biggest roll of turf flies up and clears the ladies tees at the end of the tee box while the ball remained balanced on it's tee peg (I'm a picker so any divot over a couple of inches is big for me and this was over a foot long!). The patio fell silent and I wanted the ground to swallow me up. I quickly ran to replace the divot and then hit the shot I expected the first time straight down the middle.

I was going to enquire about a few lessons after the round to brush up on a few parts of my game but think I might leave it a few weeks now.

All the great players are pickers. You don't have to answer this but just to help with my visualisation which course was this at?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At Sutton coldfield gc this summer, playing with another forumer as his guest. Arrived at the first tee and 1 of the group in front had forgotten something so they asked if we’d go first while they waited. It was quiet so no problem.

I was a bit nervous having a crowd (of 4!) and not really psyched myself up due to the early than expected tee off, so took a 6 iron for safety. Proceeded to top it about 10 feet into the heather, never to be seen again. Quickly marched off down the fairway, deciding to blob it rather than reload! ?

D

Deleted member 21258

Think probably the most embarrassing 1st tee shot for me, was at Chelmsford golf club, a few years ago when Chelmsford hospital was on the left of the 1st fairway. Playing on an accountants golf day, I had made up a fourbal with some new clients, who were expecting good things and I had never played with before. After some banter on the tee, I decided I would take it on the chin and to tee off first in front of the starter and the other groups.

Promptly hooked one OOB into the hospital, much laughter at my expense and then followed it up with another. I think I blobbed the hole;)

It helped to break the ice and they still recall the story to me to this day, almost everytime I play with them. How I still laugh about 15 odd years later:LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My first ever competition round this summer I hit my usual slice off the tee into an area where it genuinly does "open up around there", it was however, out of sight. I was in the first group out playing, with the competitions secretary, so he could help teach me all the local rules as we played. Well, did we find my tee shot where "it opens up" did we heck. I asked what I should do, the reply - should have played a provisional off the tee mate.. great. Thanks for telling me on the tee!! So back I went, to a tee box surrounded by 20+ blokes, one who already had his ball in the ground waiting to play. "Sorry mate, I've got to go again". A big lesson learnt and never forgiven the competition sec for the pure embarresment he caused me that day. Only positive was my second tee shot was a beaut.

Golf. Love it.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My most unfortunate opening tee shot is so bad it’s permanently etched in my memory. I think I need some 1-to-1 sessions with Bob Rotella to get over it.

The first tee at my club is a little way away from the clubhouse and as there isn’t a tee booking system, players used to congregate at the first tee waiting their turn to head off down the first. It’s not unusual for there to be a crowd of 20 people or more as various swindles wait to go on a Saturday morning, and this particular morning was no exception.

I arrived at the first tee full of the nervous excitement that comes with teeing it up in a medal with a crowd witnessing the opening shot.

Unfortunately for me however, rather than club it down the middle, or a bit left or a bit right, I hit what can only be described as a very well hit top. Imagine a stinger but one that has something like a -2 degree launch angle.

It came off the (bottom) of the club like a bullet towards a fairway that slopes downhill to the first green. The misfortune though, was that on the slope between the white tees and the fairway was the red tees. My ball hit the stone marking the distance from the red tees. Doubling down on the misfortune, rather than the ball ricocheting to the side, it hit it square and came back at me (and the crowd on the first), whistling over our heads and into the trees behind the tee.

I can still here the laughter now. 1 shot into the medal and I’m 400 yards from the green on a 350 yard hole.

I reloaded and hit three off the tee to get out of there as fast as possible! Somehow though word of the incident had got back to the clubhouse before I did, I don’t think I’ll ever live it down.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine would be teeing off early morning at Belton Park in a medal, early morning and a little hungover. Teed my ball up, swung my club and could not see where the ball had gone, all I could hear was laughter from my playing partners. Seems I had teed the ball up too high and managed to pass my driver head under the ball, neatly removing the tee without making any contact with the object it was holding, which hung in the air for a second before dropping and nestling in the hold where the tee once stood.

Can also add teeing off on the first at Stoke Rochford. The tee was crowded with people queuing for their turn. Managed to thin my drive that hit the wooden tee marker on the ladies tee, ricocheted back through the queue who were diving for cover and came to rest in the practice net 30 yards behind the first tee. Had to play my second from there over to sounds of much heckling and laughter from those still waiting.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine was last Saturday.
Have a little Carpal Tunnel Syndrome problem last couple of weeks.
Saturday gets on the tee almost missed the ball because of a huge electric shock at the top of my swing.
It’s like banging your funny bone!
It went 2 yds.
So decided to hit driver off the deck and buried the ball in the tee.
Changed club for a iron and hit it ok.
Got a six on a par four,
But two yards after two is the shortest tee shot I have ever hit.
Being single figure cap it was a bit embarrassing to say the least.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That’s disgraceful.
You should not replace divots on the tee.;)

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I was playing in Spain a few years back. Was one of the courses in Marbella. Snap hooked a drive off the first. The way the course was set up the pro shop and restaurant was on like a hill and the first hole played down a hill. There was a wall than ran along the first 100 or so yards and que of people waiting to check in and play. There was houses/villas on further down. Anyway, snap hook left bounced off a roof. Que the noise of a roof tile sliding down a roof and smashing on the ground. Que the noise of hysteria from playing partners and people watching. Put another ball down, done same thing again. No more tiles fell off. Was told not to hit another drive by the starter. Walked that hole.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Has to be on the recent trip to Scotland
The first at Machrihanish is known as "The Best Opening Hole In Golf"

You tee off from a promontory over the beach onto the fairway, a carry of about 160 yards, unfortunately i got right under mine and it hit the beach.
Much to the entertainment of those present

What happened next can be seen here

The sound you hear is Mark (Radbourne ) nearly wetting himself :p

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Has to be on the recent trip to Scotland
The first at Machrihanish is known as "The Best Opening Hole In Golf"

You tee off from a promontory over the beach onto the fairway, a carry of about 160 yards, unfortunately i got right under mine and it hit the beach.
Much to the entertainment of those present

What happened next can be seen here

The sound you hear is Mark (Radbourne ) nearly wetting himself :p
we have a winner:LOL: