FootJoy Giveaway

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a junior I went to play in a regional open at St Pierre in Chepstow. This was a big deal for a 15 year old and to say I was nervous would be an understatement.

I nearly missed the first tee shot but managed to thin it such that it hit the ladies tee marker which was one of those plastic globes (you remember them surely). The ball smashed it's way into the globe and ripped it out of the ground taking it about 10 yards forward. The ball (A new Slazenger + as I recall) stayed in the globe. Needless to say I was mortified and had no clue how to proceed and nor did the starter. After had had finished laughing we summoned the pro and again after much mirth I was able to drop the ball having removed it from the marker and proceed.

I don't recall much of the round but it took me years to go back their and I was still in a cold sweat when I played the first.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Mine was when we were playing a competition off the whites and I stepped up to tee off first in my group.

I'd been hitting my driver well on the range beforehand so felt confident with it and stepped up to hit.
There were about 15-20 people milling around the first tee / putting green (Remember when that was a thing! :LOL:) but I wasn't too fussed.

I swung hard as I normally would, but the ball came straight off the toe of the club, and with such a low flight it smashed into the Yellow tee marker about 10 yards in front of us.
It hit the middle so sweetly it bounced back over our heads, out through the car park and over the main road into one of the gardens!

I assume I'd have had a nice flat lie from there to play my second ;), but decided to play 3 off the tie and proceeded to hit one down the middle.
By the time I'd made it to my second ball I could just about hear the laughter had stopped up at the tee box!

This game!!!!! :mad::LOL:

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't know if this counts as it was my mate rather than me, no honestly it was, first tee was right in front of the clubhouse (less than 10 yards) so back in the day you would have a fair crowd standing at the windows watching. Somehow he hit it backwards into the window, thankfully it didn't break but will always remember him having to walk backwards from the tee to get his ball with everyone inside pissing themselves laughing.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
At my home course, used to start with a Par 3, lots of people about in captains day competition, thinned my tee shot (7 iron) which hit the yellow tee marker 10 yards ahead of me, ricocheted straight back over my head and the groups waiting, one bounce just missing the presidents car onto the putting green.

Apparently the putting green was still in play so was faced with a 5 iron from the edge of the putting green over the previously mentioned parked cars and groups :(.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Our first winner is Canary_Yellow for this effort. Without exception all very funny and nice to know we're all capable of some truly appalling shots (and a bit of bad luck)

--

My most unfortunate opening tee shot is so bad it’s permanently etched in my memory. I think I need some 1-to-1 sessions with Bob Rotella to get over it.

The first tee at my club is a little way away from the clubhouse and as there isn’t a tee booking system, players used to congregate at the first tee waiting their turn to head off down the first. It’s not unusual for there to be a crowd of 20 people or more as various swindles wait to go on a Saturday morning, and this particular morning was no exception.

I arrived at the first tee full of the nervous excitement that comes with teeing it up in a medal with a crowd witnessing the opening shot.

Unfortunately for me however, rather than club it down the middle, or a bit left or a bit right, I hit what can only be described as a very well hit top. Imagine a stinger but one that has something like a -2 degree launch angle.

It came off the (bottom) of the club like a bullet towards a fairway that slopes downhill to the first green. The misfortune though, was that on the slope between the white tees and the fairway was the red tees. My ball hit the stone marking the distance from the red tees. Doubling down on the misfortune, rather than the ball ricocheting to the side, it hit it square and came back at me (and the crowd on the first), whistling over our heads and into the trees behind the tee.

I can still here the laughter now. 1 shot into the medal and I’m 400 yards from the green on a 350 yard hole.

I reloaded and hit three off the tee to get out of there as fast as possible! Somehow though word of the incident had got back to the clubhouse before I did, I don’t think I’ll ever live it down.